My purse: Scotland edition.

on September 1, 2011 in Scotland with 28 comments by

I don’t carry a lot in my purse when I live in Nashville. Pretty much, I have my car keys, my wallet, Anita the iPhone, and the rest just hangs out in my car.

And while I have no idea what will interest you about my life in Scotland, I personally find the amount of things I need to carry with me on a daily basis to be completely fascinating. Because the weather swings like a pendulum every single day and because I never know when I’ll be on a bus, I have to be Susie Prepared in every situation.

I’ve done this a few times before, like when I showed you my writing table and my Mocha Club desk. So I thought it might be fun today to show you all the varied items that weigh my shoulder down on a daily basis.

Here you have it!

[The picture is clickable if you feel like you need a closer view. You’re welcome.]

1. Anita the iPhone. While Anita is unable to make calls or send texts, she is quite good for listening to music and podcasts. I couldn’t have left home without her. Also, because I’m a freak of nature, I like having it with me in case my Scotland phone battery dies or something. I know that won’t happen, but it could.

2. Notepad & pen. I’m a writer. I need these things around to scribble down little ideas or thoughts that come to me. My favorite one as of late? I saw a poster and it said, “lift your skinny fists like antennae to Heaven.” That’s cool, huh?

3. My address. Don’t judge me. I was scared I would forget. I know it now, but again, safety takes no holiday.

4. Keys. My friend Laura, who came over with the Riverstone team in July, brought me a keychain. And I’m grateful. Since I don’t know where either of my flatmates work, it could be a real annoying experience to lose my keys and get locked out. At least I’d have my….

5. Sudoku book. I told you I was addicted. I keep this with me at all times because it is my go-to bus activity.

6. Mechanical pencil. Because doing a sudoku in pen doesn’t necessarily mean you are a genius, it just means you are willing to have lots of scribbles on your grids. I, for one, am not willing. Erasers for the win.

[Do you know what they call erasers in Scotland? Rubbers. I refuse.]

7. Postcards. My friend Melissa said she likes to write postcards on the go, more inspirational or something like that. So I’m trying it.

8. Stamps. Because there is no better way to guarantee that I arrive back in the USA with a pile of fully composed postcards than to not keep stamps on me. So this way, the do actually get mailed.

9. Sunglasses. Like I said, the weather is as fickle as a middle school relationship. Currently, the sun is shining in my window and totes blinding me, but I bet you money it will pour sometime today. It always does.

10. Map of Edinburgh. But this is no ordinary map. This map has all my friends’ homes marked so that I can find them easily without having to call for directions. AGAIN. If getting lost is a disease, I have a severe and recurring strain of it.

11. Camera. Let’s all pretend like we love my zebra print case. I really don’t love it. But it is easy to spot. [Or stripe, if you will.]

12. Wallet. This cute little thing was a gift from some of my besties for my birthday in July. Little did those Americans know that this wallet PERFECTLY fits British pound notes and has plenty of room for the coins. [Because, let me tell you this- the bus costs £1.30 and they do NOT give change or let you use bills. And because I refuse to overpay them, I have to keep a lot of coin on me. Namely, one pound coins, 10p coins, and 20p coins.]

13. Scotland phone. That I still can’t figure out how to use exactly. But I know how to text and how to answer it when it rings. I also know how to use the maps [see #10] so I figure that’s enough.

14. Worst umbrella in the world. Literally. I might as well have a few pieces of paper tied to a coat hanger and hold that over my head when it rains. But it’s compact and bright green, so I keep it.

So there you have it! I mean, that’s a ton of stuff, right? It feels that way to the shoulder that lugs my purse around. But I promise you, on a normal day, I use every.single.one. of these things.

Except my address. I’ve got that pretty well memorized by now. 🙂

. . . . .

What’s the most interesting thing in your purse / wallet ?

1. posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 6:07 AM  |  reply

I loved this, Annie. You made me spit breakfast on my screen when I read the erasers part. I refuse. Ha!

My husband makes me carry a mini-mag flashlight and a Swiss army knife. They are full of dirt and grime from my bag and I never use them. But I’m prepared if ever I need them. (And if he asks me where they are and I say in the van, well let’s just say I’m not gaining brownie points.) And I have about 7 pens in there. Always.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:18 PM  |  reply

Always need pens. Swiss army knife? Nice.

2. Merideth
    posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 9:46 AM  |  reply

I am with you on the eraser thing. I would refuse to call them rubbers too. My dad loves those sudoku puzzles too. Someone in my family put them in his stocking last Christmas, and it was the best thing he got in years. He loves doing them.
    My perse….Much messier than yours. I have a bunch of papers and clutter that need to be cleaned out of it at the moment. Normally, though, it’s just boring stuff. Wallet, checkbook, keys, change bor the bus, chapstick, a mini brush and scrunchie in case my hair gets really tangled. Nothing exciting.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:20 PM  |  reply

Uh, mine usually has tons of papers flying around too… like bus receipts. 🙂

• Merideth
        posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:50 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs,
        Ya, for me those papers are usually recietts from going to the store, or out to eat, or the carbon copies of checks I’ve written. And various other random stuff.

3. Kim
    posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

I moved from Nashville to NYC last September, and totally feel you on having to carry so much around! You just have to be prepared for so many situations throughout the day. Sometimes I feel like a pack mule, carrying it all. But I’d rather have the umbrella, then get stuck, again, in the rain without it.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:29 PM  |  reply

We miss you in Nash. Truth.

4. posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 10:32 AM  |  reply

“The weather is as fickle as a middle school relationship”

I love that! Your writing can throw down The Funny AND The Talent and that’s a fact. This was so fun. I love the part at the end of Marie Claire where somebody shows off all the funky stuff in their purse. Mine would be like, “coffee receipt … coffee receipt … coffee receipt …”. I usually have my phone, a moleskine journal, a pen, my wallet, and lipstick or lipgloss (lots of those) (it’s, like, an abyss of lipgloss tubes in there). Right now, I’m crazy about a new tube of Burt’s Bees I just bought. It’s just the right pop of color.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:29 PM  |  reply

I forgot to show the Burt’s Bees. But it’s there, sister. Don’t you worry about that.

5. Susan
    posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

Very good Annie! but here we call it a handbag not a purse, In my purse I keep my Scottish notes,coins, debit card and receipts also two photos of my two adorable children – However in my handbag it’s a fine guddle fou o’ tripe X and i bet there is a rubber in there too!!!!!!!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:34 PM  |  reply

Ah, whoops, Susan. Noted. 🙂 I should add a picture of your two adorable children as well.

6. posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 11:27 AM  |  reply

Annie, I gave you a leasson on how to work your phone, like, two months ago! What happened, girl?!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

Ack. I should have gotten you to help me today.

7. posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

When I first moved to the States I couldn’t BELIEVE what you guys meant by poor harmless little rubbers!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

To date, it is the strangest word mix-up between Britain and American, if you ask me. 🙂

8. posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 1:05 PM  |  reply

I completely forgot that you call your phone Anita. Love it.

And rubbers? I refuse, too.

I think you should do a Top 5 Friday list on your favorite Scottish expressions/words.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:36 PM  |  reply

I like that idea. Starting the collection now.

• Becky
        posted on Sep 05, 2011 at 5:17 AM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs,

I’m still giggling over the vest/tank top/gilet conversation!

9. Lisa
    posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 4:01 PM  |  reply

Toupee tape. Not for a hairpiece, but it is a fabulous way to keep errant clothing in place! Today, for example, I THOUGHT I was wearing a conservative neckline and when I leaned over to wash my hands in the restroom, I realized I was sadly mistaken. But, toupee tape to the rescue! I could lean over the rest of the day without any worries!

10. gmh
    posted on Sep 01, 2011 at 7:59 PM  |  reply

Ahh- we see the contents, but what kind of purse is it exactly that holds all these things for you all day?
    A shoulder bag? A cross-body bag? A backpack? Inquiring minds want to know!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:39 PM  |  reply

Excellent question. It’s an H&M purse that’s about the size of all those items shoved tightly together. 🙂

11. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 12:17 PM  |  reply

Am I 13 because I am still laughing about erasers being rubbers?

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:40 PM  |  reply

Whatever it makes you, it makes me that too.

Miss you.

12. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 3:14 PM  |  reply

Lisa…Love the toupee tape idea. I need that…

Most of my fun stuff in my purse is do to children…I often find socks, a toy car, a random barrette or hair rubber-band, an assortment of half eaten snacks (mainly cheerios or goldfish) in hopefully zipped sandwich bags, and a bunch of receipts that either need to be trashed or filed…I can never decide which. 😉

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:42 PM  |  reply

When I’m a nanny, my purse is full of child paraphernalia, so I totally get that.

13. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 4:00 PM  |  reply

When we were new here, I kept a notecard with my address in my wallet. I also had a little map on a notecard so that I could just show it to a cab driver since I didn’t know the language.

Speaking of not knowing the language, I could not leave the house without my little translation dictionary.

Nowadays, there’s nothing fun in my purse, just the normal stuff.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:43 PM  |  reply

I think we’re smart for keeping our addresses in our purses. 🙂