Top 5 Friday: Kids shows!

on September 23, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 44 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

I think one of the funniest things about being an adult who used to be a kid is that I have weird kid memories. For example, I remember LOVING a show on PBS that had talking shoes. A boot, to be exact.

And through the years, I have asked around to friends to see if anyone else remembers this show. And the usual answer is no one. So randomly I pop onto google and search things like “kid show + talking boot” or “PBS 80s boot talking” which could lead to any manner of things.

Thanks to the ever improving quality of google, I have FINALLY located the show. It was called Readalong and it is from Canada and it was EDUCATIONAL! You could have knocked me over with a feather when I watched a few clips and realized that I was learning that whole time. Well played, Canada.

So this week, I’d thought we’d all share our childhood favs….

These are my TOP 5 FAVORITE PROGRAMS FROM MY CHILDHOOD!

[sidenote: this list could be way longer, and I’m going to read some of your answers and wish they were my answers, but this is the best I can do without a time machine.]

1. Zoobilee Zoo

No lie. I can still sing this entire theme song and for some reason, I have mild romantic emotions towards Lookout Bear.

I am surprised to learn that this was also educational. Dear Mom and Dad, y’all were tricky. And now I’m a great reader. So, congrats.

2. Gummi Bears

Weird kid memory: we went on vacation to Chattanooga [when I was probably 5 or 6] and we stayed in a train car and Mom let us watch TWO episodes of Gummi Bears and I remember thinking, “THIS is vacation.”

3. Muppet Babies

One of the only shows that Tatum and I always agreed upon. Muppet Babies were a huge hit in the early 80s Downs home.

4. The Wuzzles

I loved Bubblelion.

5. Welcome to Pooh Corner

There is something about Winnie the Pooh that just makes kids happy. Am I right?

Sorry these videos aren’t better quality but HELLO THEY ARE ALMOST 30 YEARS OLD. Technology is amazing.

[Honorary mention goes to Inspector Gadget and Mr. Wizard, both shows that I totally hated but had to watch if my sister had control of the channel changer. I still hate science. I blame you, Tatum.]

And just as I suspected, my brain can think of about ten more that I want to list. But no more. I refuse to break my own Top 5 Friday rule of having, you know, FIVE favorites. So I’ll stop here and let you take it away…..

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What were your favorite shows as a little kid?Β

1. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:36 AM  |  reply

Woah! Good picks! I haven’t heard of the first or last one, but looooved the other 3. I do need to add Fraggle Rock (oh that opening song still gets stuck in my head sometimes… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT1tZmGvFfY ), Inspector Gadget, T.Bag (weird show, but addictive), gumby and the kids’ game show “double dare” sooooo messy!!!!

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:03 PM  |  reply

Yes. Double Dare.

2. Julie Carpenter
    posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 7:36 AM  |  reply

I don’t remember any of the shows you mentioned. It’s probably because I am a few years older than you. Also, I don’t remember watching TV as a little girl, but as I got older, I loved these:

Dark Shadows – it still scares me
    Gilligan’s Island
    Betwitched – I wanted to be Samantha
    Brady Bunch
    Happy Days

There are more, but I’ll stick to your rule this week.

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM  |  reply

I loved Brady Bunch on TBS. πŸ™‚

3. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:28 AM  |  reply

so many favorites!

sesame street
    fraggle rock
    shining time station
    under the umbrella tree
    mr. roger’s neighborhood

and many more…fun idea!

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM  |  reply

I used to wish my Dad had shoes like Mr. Roger’s.

4. Merideth
    posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

As I think about this I realize I watched way to much television growing up. I can think of a bunch of shows I watched when I was a kid and teenager. But, you mentioned specifically little kid, so I’ll stick to little kid shows and see if I can stay with 5.
    1. great american sapce coaster: To be honest I’m not sure I’m remembering the title of this one correctly, but that’s what I think it was. Not even sure if I can remember anything about the show, but I remember watching it.
    2. smurfs: I watched this cartoon constantly, and I think it’s really funny a movie came out now because for years my nieces and little cousins had no clue who the smurfs were. They’re back!
    3. the muppet show: I loved muppet babies, too, but since you already listed them I thought I mention the muppet show. I loved the muppets when I was a kid,a nd also watched the movies a lot. Well, muppets take Manhatten mostly.
    4. care bears: Yes, there was a care bears cartoon and I watched it. Of course I had a care bear too. Sunchine bear.
    5. I cant’ decide what one to put 5th, so here are just a few others I watched. Fraggle Rock, the Wuzzles(I forgot all about that until you mentioned it), welcome to pooh corner, the jetsons, and so on. That does not count all the shows I used to watch the reruns of and a bunch of other shows when I was in elementary school and above. Ya. I watched too much television when I was a kid.

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:06 PM  |  reply

Care Bears was on the list, but I couldn’t find a good video. But yes. I loved them.

5. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:38 AM  |  reply

Posting “Welcome to Pooh Corner” just rocked my Friday socks!! Super old school Disney channel was DA BOMB! πŸ™‚

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

How about the old Mousercise? Remember that? Disney Channel was a joy pre-Miley.

• posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:39 PM  |  reply

@Annie, Girrrrrlllll…YES! I even had the Mousercise RECORD AND worked out to it as a kid!

Did you ever catch Disney’s Halloween Treat during the month of October??

6. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:53 AM  |  reply

i *loved* mr. wizard. and my brother hated it. but, i usually won that breakfast-time war.

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

Ugh. You and Tatum should have shared a TV. πŸ™‚

7. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 9:05 AM  |  reply

1. Sesame Street.
    2. Adventures in Wonderland.
    3. Fraggle Rock.
    4. Muppet Babies.
    5. Kids Incorporated (my childhood dream was to be on that show).

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

Kids Incorporated- absolutely.

8. ~VA~
    posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM  |  reply

I don’t watch any tv now, but when I was younger I watched Arthur, Family Feud, Cyberstreet Kids, Zaboomafoo, and I think I watched Sesame Street. I think I would still like these shows if I could watch them. I definitely LOVED watching Zaboomafoo with a preschooler I was babysitting 4 years ago…

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM  |  reply

Family Feud is hilarious to me.

9. Julianne
    posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

Never heard of any of these.. guess im still a youngin.
    My favorite was ARTHUR! ..and still is

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM  |  reply

I’ve heard that you love that show. πŸ™‚

10. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM  |  reply

Oh my GOODNESS!! I LOVED Zoobilee Zoo!! I still know the words to the theme song. That show was so awesome yet so weird and i always thought that i was the only kid who watched it. SO good! I would have to add Fraggle Rock as a favorite. And Captain Kangaroo!

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM  |  reply

I love Fraggle Rock. Yes, present tense.

11. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM  |  reply

I probably have 10 too!
    1. Strawberry shortcake
    2. Rainbow Bright
    3. Reading Rainbow
    4. The jetsons
    5. Smurfs

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM  |  reply

I watched every one of those. Absolutely every one.

12. Kristi Kay
    posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

1 – Today’s Special – Also Canadian…just watching this intro reminds me of how excited I used to get!

2 – Pinwheel – But let’s face it, it came on before Today’s Special, so it was just the opening act.

3 – You Can’t Do That on Television – What is it with Canadians and quality kid programming?

4 – Galaxy High – Saturday morning cartoon

5 – Pee Wee’s Playhouse

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM  |  reply

You Can’t Do That on Television was the coolest. And Today’s Special.

Well played, KK. Well played.

13. Diana
    posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:34 PM  |  reply

So hard to choose, but here are the ones that came to mind first:

1. Muppet Babies
    2. Mr. Dressup (I think this may have been Canadian?)
    3. Tiny Toon Adventures
    4. A Pup Named Scooby Doo
    5. Lamb Chop’s Play Along

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:11 PM  |  reply

Mr. Dressup? Googling now. I do not know this show. But I want to.

14. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:44 PM  |  reply

1. Rainbow Brite.
    2. Adventures in Wonderland.
    3. Gem and the Holograms. She had magic earrings and sang in a rock band…hello!! She was more awesome than she-ra.
    4. Kid’s Incorporated. Some stars started in mickey mouse club(brittany and christina), others in Kid’s Inc. (Fergie, Martika, and Jennifer Love Hewitt) Im more partial to the Kid’s Inc. crowd.
    5. Punky Brewster. I SOOOO wanted her outfits!!

Does anyone remember Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, Charles in Charge, Small Wonder, Out of this World??? These were more “tween favorites” but still favorites!

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM  |  reply

Um. Your tween favorites. LOVE.

Also- Punky Brewster. I remember watching the episode when the Challenger exploded. Do you?

• posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 8:56 PM  |  reply

@Annie, oh, yes. at the time, i didn’t understand the significance but remembered being so sad for punky. =(

15. Lisa
    posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM  |  reply

Oh my goodness – this is making my Friday watching all the clips of these old tv shows!!! I had totally forgotten about the Wuzzles and Zoobilee Zoo (although I too can still sing the theme song)! I still can’t eat Gummy Bears without singing the theme song! But my TOP 5 FAVES are:
    1. Teenage Mutant Ninja (or Hero) Turtles
    2. DuckTales
    3. Kids Incorporated
    4. The All-New Mickey Mouse Club
    5. Thundercats

Honorable Mentions: Fraggle Rock, The Snorks and Talespin!

Fun times!!!

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM  |  reply

Don’t get my started on MMC. We named our cat Fred. Enough said.

Duck Tales! Whoo ooo! πŸ™‚

16. posted on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM  |  reply

Pinwheel, pinwheel, spinning around, look at my pinwheel and see what I’ve found…

posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM  |  reply

LOVE it.

17. Casey
    posted on Sep 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM  |  reply

Do you remember David the Knome? I think it was on Nickelodeon or Disney? Strange concept but I remember liking the show!

18. posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:21 PM  |  reply

I totally watched Zoobilee Zoo! I still have a stuffed bear named Lookout. πŸ™‚ And I am stunned to know it was educational. I don’t remember that AT ALL.

Like Casey, I was also a fan of David the Gnome. Weird show, but adored it. Carebears also makes the list. #ohthe80s

19. posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM  |  reply

Your post brought on a much-welcomed trip down memory lane for my husband and me. I also liked Zoobilee Zoo, although now it does look really weird. Some other faves were Gummy Bears, Shirt Tales, Super Friends, Inspector Gadget, Smurfs, Thundercats, Muppet Babies, Mr. Rogers, Great Space Coaster, and, does anyone remember Land of the Lost or Electro Woman and Dyna Girl? πŸ™‚

20. Lori
    posted on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM  |  reply

I just wanted to thank you for helping me find the name of a show I have been searching for forever. Readalong! All I could remember were the talking shoes and the balloons and song that played as the credits rolled. I have been, on occasion, searching for it for nearly a decade. Thanks again!

21. posted on Sep 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM  |  reply

Love this post…You and Me, Kid came on Disney channel. Loved David the gnome, that koala show, Today’s special, alllll the ones you listed. I also loved Little House on the Prairie. Thanks for trip down memory lane!

22. Mattox Miller
    posted on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:20 PM  |  reply

1. Flintstones
    2. Clarissa Explains It All
    3. All That
    4. Inspector Gadget

23. posted on Sep 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM  |  reply

Omg, Zoobilee Zoo!!!!!!!

24. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 10:36 PM  |  reply

Zoobilee Zoo always weirded me a little and yet I still watched it. And to incriminate myself further, I totally get what you mean about mild romantic notions…

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

25. Amanda
    posted on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:19 PM  |  reply

This post! For years I was the only one amongst my friends who remembered the shoe and boot. They haunted my nightmares. Thank you for confirming that I am not insane and this really did exist. You have given me great relief.

• posted on Jul 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM  |  reply

But can you find any proof of our memory on the internet?!? This is the question. πŸ™‚