31 Days of Courage

on October 1, 2011 in 31 Days of Courage with 48 comments by

I’m not sure this is a great idea. I mean, I usually do whatever The Nester tells me to, but I’m not going to pretend that this isn’t a little scary.

It’s not the writing for 31 days straight thing. I think I can handle that. I mean, I’m not the most consistent bloggista in the world, but I can usually push through. I am, if nothing else, great at short term commitments.

It’s just, I’m not sure that talking about courage for 31 days is a great idea.

I’m already scared. I’m scared about what I’m going to want to say and I’m scared about what I don’t want to say. I’m scared that there will come a point when I wish I would have never cracked this can of worms and promised to talk about it every day.

But.

In my knower, deep down, I think this is a God thing.

There are two stories that I want to tell with my life.

1. God made you on purpose.

2. God made you to be brave.

I already wrote a book on how God made you on purpose. It’s called From Head To Foot.

And now its time to write about being brave. Not to mention, I’m 31 years old and there is something I can’t shake about focusing on courage for 31 days in my 31st year of existence.

There’s a lot of planning going on for this month- I mean, it’s like Santa’s workshop in here- I’ve got lots of little elves running around getting guest posts and stories and recipes and pieces of art and giveaways and Bible stories. I am like Santa Blogs… or would it be Blogga Claus? Either way, I get to deliver all the goods to you… and I eat a lot of cookies. [yikes.]

I don’t know exactly what this is going to look like. But by the end of this month, I hope we are all just a little braver.

So here goes 31 days of courage. You ready?

. . . . .

Also, make sure you check out the ever-growing list of 31 Days writers. It’s gonna be a fun month.

1. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 12:30 AM  |  reply

I’m ready ๐Ÿ™‚ A few weeks ago, I woke up with this phrase turning around my head: “What would it take for you to be brave?” Well, Lord…let’s find out!

I’m feeling a bit on a bravery “high” tonight as I just took a giant leap of faith and handed in my 30 days notice on my apartment. It’s exultation or terror, so for now I’m going with the smiley face ๐Ÿ™‚

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:18 AM  |  reply

Sweet Amanda, that’s the best question ever.

Praying for you this month.

2. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 12:32 AM  |  reply

Wonderful – and good for you stepping out like that! I’m excited to journey along with you. New subscriber… I’ll be back! Looking forward to a courageous, inspiring month!

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:18 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Laurie! So glad you are here!

3. Tay
    posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 12:38 AM  |  reply

When I opened up my Google Reader, I was so excited to find out that nine of my favorite women are participating in the 31 days series and you are one of them!ย I am going to be reading about a ton of different topics this month, but I am so glad that I get to read aboutย courage. I think we all need a little bit more courage in our lives!

Thank you so much for making this commitment to write for 31 days! I am so looking forward to it!!!ย

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

We all love to play together. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m looking forward to it, too. I truly think God has something amazing to say to us all. I’m on the edge of my seat about it.

4. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 12:41 AM  |  reply

Ohhh how exciting! so many people are doing this 31 day thing- sounds cool! Can’t wait:)

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Seriously, my google reader is about to combust. It’s gonna be a great month.

5. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 12:46 AM  |  reply

I’m ready.

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

I might be. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hugs to you.

6. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 12:55 AM  |  reply

I am scared too, that I may not be able to convey all I want to in 30 days, or post something late, or forget to post, or run out of things to say. I am taking that courage challenge with you. Looking forward to reading your posts!

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Oh girl. I have all those fears as well.

But.

We’re being brave. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 2:35 AM  |  reply

I am so excited to see what comes of this series. I have been learning so much about courage this year…and how it’s not an absence of fear but a doing things in spite of fear.

I have made some big decisions this year and I am terrified.

Scared… I am so there. I look forward to walking with others on this 31 days to courage journey Annie!

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:20 AM  |  reply

THAT IS RIGHT! Courageous people aren’t protected from fear, they just don’t listen to it.

8. Kat
    posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 7:30 AM  |  reply

Can’t wait to read you series, Annie!

And seeing “Mr. Darcy” up there in your blog series button just makes me smile.

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:21 AM  |  reply

We’re in a very committed bloggy relationship, Mr. Darcy and I.

PS- coming to Waco in May. Let’s plan to hang!

• Kat
        posted on Oct 09, 2011 at 8:03 PM  |  reply

@Annie, Oh, yay! Definitely!

9. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 7:45 AM  |  reply

Ready to read. I may need bifocals by the time mid-October gets here with all these amazing series.

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:21 AM  |  reply

You and me BOTH!

This may become all our bloggy friends’ favorite month.

10. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 7:56 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie,

I don’t think I’ve ever been over here, sorry to say! I certainly know who you are ‘follow’ you…but this is my first time here, I think.

I wish I had more courage myself. I live vicariously through my 3.5 year old niece now, saying to her ‘you’re very brave!’ And ‘you are so fearless!’ Because I was taught by example to be afraid of much. Though I’ve overcome that in a lot of way, there is much room to grow.

Looking forward to (coming back!) And following your 31 day journey!

Xo

posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 8:24 AM  |  reply

Thanks Mary Kathryn!

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on October 31. May God remind you this month of what HE has already put in you and the courage that lives in your heart.

11. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 10:15 AM  |  reply

awesome! love the topic and i hear you…definitely a leap to talk about it. I am excited to read yours though =)

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:23 AM  |  reply

Thanks, girl. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 10:44 AM  |  reply

So excited that I checked out your blog today. I cannot wait to read all about courage. It’s something I need in spades.

Also, I was in an ELA curriculum meeting on Thursday, and someone looked at me and said, “Could we get Annie Downs in here to talk?”

And I was all, “OMG! How do you know Annie?”

And they were all “Um, she used to work in the county . . . dummy.”

And I was all “Cool, I knew that.”

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:24 AM  |  reply

Here’s how the convo should have gone:

“Could we get Annie Downs in here to talk?”

Answer: “Duh. Annie Downs does anything that the people of this county ask.”

So. There’s that. You know I love that place. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Donna
    posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 11:03 AM  |  reply

Hi Annie! Just happened to see your update on Facebook…and here I am. *sigh* I used to be soooo courageous… not so much the last few years. I am going to commit to reading your blog for 31 days and pray God gives you wisdom, insight to His ways, and an abundance of courage to write! Thanks, and I’m excited to see what God puts in your heart to write! (selfishly…as I hope to benefit profoundly}

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:24 AM  |  reply

Donna, you are on my heart this morning. Praying that God reminds you of every reason He has made you brave. This is gonna be a fun month. Glad you’ll be joining us.

14. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 11:23 AM  |  reply

This will be a great series to follow! I know the 31 days is kind of scary thinking about it…LOL But it will be a lot of fun! Great to meet you!

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:25 AM  |  reply

Hi Kindra! Yes- looking forward to it!!

15. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 2:14 PM  |  reply

I don’t know what I love more:

“I always do what Nester tells me to do”
    “Blogista”
    “Blogga Clause”

But your theme, is amazing. And I think that your journey will be too! What a better way to do it than to invite others to go with you! Friends are good!

• posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 2:37 PM  |  reply

Sorry for the double comments but I totally agree. I love that you follow suit with The Nester. Ahh, the sweet sound of friendship.

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:26 AM  |  reply

Double comments are awesome and always welcome.

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:26 AM  |  reply

Thanks Stacey! Glad you’ll be along for the ride!

16. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 2:36 PM  |  reply

I really like this. I’m excited to read your 31 days. Coming by as another 31 day-er who is a little nervous about this adventure, but excited as well…so your blog is timely for this. Ha Ha.

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:26 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Julie! ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Merideth
    posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 3:42 PM  |  reply

Love blogga clause. I think it’s great you are doing this, and I personally feel that I will need to hear all you have to say on courage. I look forward to seeing what God does through your posts this month. Love to you!

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:26 AM  |  reply

You’re a pretty brave one yourself, Merideth!

• Merideth
        posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 11:22 AM  |  reply

@Annie,
        Thanks Annie. You are so sweet! I don’t know how brave I really am. I sure don’t feel it much these days. I actually struggle with fear often.

18. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 6:21 PM  |  reply

looking forward to reading your posts this month! braveheart is one of the images that comes to mind when i think of courage. annie braveheart blogs!

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:27 AM  |  reply

The fact that I live in Scotland makes this creepily awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚

Praying that I will live up to that name.

19. posted on Oct 01, 2011 at 10:58 PM  |  reply

Wow. I so need this series.

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:27 AM  |  reply

It’s all yours, sister. ๐Ÿ™‚ You are welcome here.

20. posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 12:45 AM  |  reply

This sounds so good and so what I need! I know that God is working on me to step out with courage, all the while trusting Him. But, it can be hard, so I try to remember all the times He’s come through in the past, and it helps. I look forward to all you have to share. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Maureen recently posted…

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 3:28 AM  |  reply

He will always come through for us, Maureen. Can’t wait to get to know you this month!

21. posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 11:29 AM  |  reply

What a great idea. I look forward to learning from you in this journey.

Lisa

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 12:36 PM  |  reply

I look forward to learning too, Lisa. In the words of the poignant film, High School Musical, we’re all in this together. ๐Ÿ™‚

22. posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 11:49 AM  |  reply

Does talking about talking about courage count for talking about courage?

Just asking.

Looking forward to reading about talking about courage on day two.

posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 12:36 PM  |  reply

Yes to all of that. Whatever it meant.