Day 3 :: Why courage?

on October 3, 2011 in 31 Days of Courage with 26 comments by

Currently, there are over 600 bloggers participating in the 31 Days challenge.

Whoa and whoa.

And I have scanned the buttons of every.last.one of those. You see, I want to learn a lot this month. I want to listen to these women [and men!] talk about their area of expertise. In fact, throughout this month I’m going to share with you other 31 Day series that I’m reading, just case you want to pop over and check them out.

But here’s the thing. Courage isn’t my area of expertise.Β

When I decided to join up and write for 31 days of October, I went through a list of options, things I think are more expert-like for me.

31 Days of life in Scotland! If you’ve been around here at all, you’ve suffered through aboutΒ 100 days of life in Scotland, so I thought that would be a bit of a cop-out. Though, trust me, I will still be talking about Scotland.

31 Days of Singleness!Β Barf. I mean, someone else is writing that and I think that is great, but you and I both know that I would fail at this. It would be like watching a rollercoaster almost go off the tracks repeatedly. We’d all be puking before Halloween.

31 Days as an Author! Truth be known, you probably all know a lot of authors, and most of them are way better than me. But I will be talking about writing this month, because it takes courage.

31 Days in Nashville! Nothing would ensure I waste this month in Edinburgh like writing every day about Nashville. [Dear home, I miss you.] Maybe we’ll be Nash-focused next year.

But in all honestly, I never got real far in any of those ideas. I knew all along. I knew it was courage.

I’m not the bravest girl. In fact, this month we have some guest post writers who are legit brave. I’m not quite that. But I am striving for it. Searching for it. Hating it and loving it at the same time.

So why did I pick 31 Days of Courage?

Because it doesn’t take an expert to tell you this stuff. Talking about courage isn’t a conversation about what you need to get, learn, have, make, or create.

It’s a conversation about remembering what you already have.

In the end, a lack of courage is a lack of understanding – understanding who you are, how you are loved, and the eternal impact you can make.

So this month, I’m not an expert telling you about A Life Of Courage. I just hope to remind you of who you are. And how deeply you are loved. And of the eternal impact you are making every day.

Then someday we’ll all look back on this month and realize that THIS is when everything changed.

In the timeless words of Kevin McCallister:

. . . . .

Who I’m reading: Marisa’s 31 Days of Wedding Planning. Not only is she one of my BFFs, she’s crafty and thrifty and engaged. Three things I hope to be someday. πŸ™‚

1. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

love this. and thanks for the shout-out! πŸ™‚

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 2:57 AM  |  reply

You are welcome! πŸ™‚

2. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 9:00 AM  |  reply

I am not an expertise in the area that I am writing in either. I think God sometimes wants us to just share the journey we are on with others.

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 2:57 AM  |  reply

That’s right, Barbie. Good word.

3. Donna
    posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 2:12 PM  |  reply

You writing is refreshing to read. Thank you for the encouragement to just hang on and remember the Truth and who He is… and not be scared. He is all we need…. Love the “Home Alone” quote!!

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 2:58 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Donna! Look forward to chatting more through the month.

4. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 3:28 PM  |  reply

Courage is writing about something you know you aren’t but know He is. Thanks for taking the challenge.

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:00 AM  |  reply

Good word.

5. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 6:04 PM  |  reply

Courage is something you learn by DOING, I think. Also, excellent Home Alone integration.

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:00 AM  |  reply

Also a good word. I totally agree- you have to just DO it. Then it gets a little [very little] easier every time. πŸ™‚

6. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 6:50 PM  |  reply

First, I LOVE your book. Your writer’s voice made it feel like you were sitting across from me sharing your life story and what God has shown you along the way. THAT takes courage! I think we all learn a little bit of courage every time we take a step outside of our comfort zone and say YES to whatever God has in store. πŸ™‚

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:01 AM  |  reply

Thanks so much for your kind words, Stephanie. So glad you enjoyed the book!

And yes and amen to all your thoughts. Love it.

Look forward to hearing more from you!! πŸ™‚

7. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 7:20 PM  |  reply

love you. you’ve always been one of my heroes. or heroines. whatever. =)

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:01 AM  |  reply

You have walked many a scary/needing courage path with me- and I’m grateful.

8. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 7:45 PM  |  reply

Maybe I can do 31 Days of Not Blogging. Why am I such a slacker these days?

• posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 7:50 PM  |  reply

@Lindsey Nobles,
      I would totally read that.

Oh.

Wait.

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:02 AM  |  reply

I just keep thinking, “Man, I am a changed woman because of Lindsey’s 30 Days of Not Blogging.”

You are, simply, an inspiration.

πŸ™‚

9. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 7:51 PM  |  reply

And see? That’s why we’re here. Because you are real. And authenticity, my friend, takes courage.

As I daily say to my son (who is really annoyed that his room is on a different level than ours right now): Courage doesn’t mean you don’t feel scared. It just means you do what you need to do in spite of the feelings.

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:02 AM  |  reply

That’s right! Brave people hear the fear, they just don’t listen to it!

10. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 8:59 PM  |  reply

When I think of courage it makes me think of the lack of fear. Fear keeps us from doing what we are called to do even if the fear is only in our imagination. So be fearless dear friend….and you will be filled with courage! Dianntha

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:03 AM  |  reply

Good word, Dianntha. Though I hope someday to be totally without fear, for now, I’ll just ignore the fear. πŸ™‚

11. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 9:13 PM  |  reply

fun to hear you’re “why” =)

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:03 AM  |  reply

thank ya kindly. And we’re just getting started…. πŸ™‚

12. posted on Oct 03, 2011 at 10:28 PM  |  reply

I like that you are doing this. It’s such an important reminder that courage… it is a normal everyday thing we get to choose. It’s the choosing that’s the hard part. Especially if you have taken a step forward only to take two steps back and end in a mud puddle. Encouragement. (Hey look… courage is there too!)

However, I would not have minded a 31 Days in Nashville series as that is where I am feeling my next home will be πŸ˜‰

posted on Oct 04, 2011 at 3:04 AM  |  reply

Christy, Nashville is one of the greatest towns ever.

Exaggeration? Maybe. But it feels true in my heart.

13. Nikki
    posted on Oct 02, 2014 at 1:27 PM  |  reply

Our Mops group is starting Lets All Be Brave next week for our book club. I am loving your 31 days of Courage….I think this will definitely be part of our book club activities. Love what I have read so far. Your writing is so real and easily relatable! Looking forward to my month of courage!