Day 6 :: Learning in London

on October 6, 2011 in 31 Days of Courage with 15 comments by

There are a handful of you jokers that are new around these parts, so in order for today’s story of courage to make sense, I need to give you some background.

My name is Annie and I live in Nashville. I’m an author. I am currently living in Edinburgh, Scotland helping with a new church- Crossroads Church Edinburgh.

Nice to meet you. That should be enough. 🙂

What I haven’t mentioned to you [unless you know from twitter] is that right now I am in London, England with some friends from Nashville. My friends are in a band and when they and the crew arrived in the UK, I hopped a train down here pronto.

I love my friends. And living in Edinburgh is wonderful, but I miss my Nash-people.

So we’ve been playing all over town, hanging out, eating together, story swapping. Tears have been shed [shocker] and hugs have been given. It has been an absolutely beautiful thing.

And courage is flowing everywhere.

I probably wouldn’t have noticed it on a regular day, but because of these 31 Days, courageous people are spotlighted to me right now.

Singers are brave. They have to stand alone many times and produce a flawless piece of art. Right there. On the spot. Last night I got to see Wicked for the second time and when Rachel Tucker sings “The Wizard and I” perfectly, I realize that talent like that takes courage.

Musicians are brave. Blake has just started with this Nashville band, and he needed to learn every song on his instrument [drums, to be exact], like, NOW. And then play those songs. A weaker man wouldn’t take this kind of gig- he’d settle for the decent one with decent money that he can succeed at easily. Blake is braver than that- he took a high pressure job that takes a lot of skill and risk. And that’s why he’s so darn good at what he does.

My newly-engaged friend is brave. Listening to her speak of her wedding plans and pleasing everyone and submitting to her future husband’s Godly leadership… that all takes courage.

People in dating relationships are brave. Vulnerability is scary. And I’m proud to watch as my people step into that with massive courage and wisdom. And while we sit at breakfast and talk about the new territory being ventured, I’m moved by their courage.

I am brave. I wore two different patterns last night to Wicked. I know it’s crazy and probably weird. But I love my blue and black dress and I wanted to wear my new tights so I just WENT FOR IT! I’m crazy, y’all. Totes crazy.

I would guess that most people don’t consider musicians brave, or consider famous people to be brave, but I genuinely think they are. While there are massive benefits, there are massive sacrifices and plenty of risk. We non-famous people don’t see this side of it, but it’s true.

I’m learning a lot in London. I’m learning that every career requires a measure of risk and a pile of courage.

And that is making me look at every job differently.

[I’m also learning that I can mix patterned tights and patterned dresses. Watch out, winter 2011/2012.]

. . . . .

What jobs do you think require courage? And why?

. . . . .

Who I’m reading: Liz’s 31 Days of Prayer. It’s just a great way to start the day.

1. posted on Oct 06, 2011 at 8:36 AM  |  reply

I like the tights with the dress! Way cute.

• Annie
      posted on Oct 07, 2011 at 6:19 AM  |  reply

Thanks!! 🙂

2. posted on Oct 06, 2011 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

i LOVE the tights and the dress. way to go. and i wholeheartedly agree with you, but also think just being a human being, living in this world, takes courage! we are all so brave! that reminds me of the episode of “The Office”… i believe it’s the safety training day one or something, where Michael is threatening to jump of the top of the building and Darrel tells him how brave he thinks Michael is… “it takes courage getting out of bed every morning, just knowing you have to be you!” hahaha… gets me every time. 🙂 glad you’re getting a taste of home and having fun with friends!

• Annie
      posted on Oct 07, 2011 at 6:20 AM  |  reply

It amazes me when The Office inserts those profound moments.

3. Jackie
    posted on Oct 06, 2011 at 9:21 AM  |  reply

Being a teacher, this is my calling and while it’s wonderful and fulfilling, it’s also terrifying and stressful. I’m Soooo scared to student teach and then really teach! :/

• Annie
      posted on Oct 07, 2011 at 6:21 AM  |  reply

I used to teach elementary school – and it is everything you said + a million other things. You’ll do great. You will. Make a list of all the reasons you love that calling – that list will serve you well.

Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

4. posted on Oct 06, 2011 at 5:55 PM  |  reply

It takes a lot of courage to practice law. You have to trust your instincts and your brain to interpret things correctly and the strategy of it all. But in the end, it’s the profession itself that requires bravery – it’s very “chew you up and spit you out” or whatever other clichés come to mind (dog eat dog is next in my brain, ha!).

I miss London. I was only there for a few days while I was living in France but I fell in love. Saw Wicked there too!

• Annie
      posted on Oct 07, 2011 at 6:23 AM  |  reply

Wow. Great explanation. Love it.

5. posted on Oct 06, 2011 at 8:11 PM  |  reply

Sigh. Oh London. One of my most favorite places. Wicked…my most favorite musical 🙂

You are right courage is all around if we just look. I think the job I have done the last 6 years (and will be leaving at the end of the year…eek!) As a counselor that works with teens and their families takes bravery. People do not like change and part of my job was to help foster change. It’s been hard but worth it.

• Annie
      posted on Oct 07, 2011 at 6:23 AM  |  reply

That job is for sure courageous. Well done.

6. posted on Oct 06, 2011 at 10:25 PM  |  reply

Wicked…love
    Tights and Blue dress….love
    Courage…love

I agree with Jackie, I think that it takes a lot of courage to be a teacher. I have to have the courage for the students that don’t have courage. I have to have courage to stand up for my ideas, especially as a young teacher, when it is easy to feel like you know nothing all the time. I have to have courage to look a student in the eyes and tell them that you care about them, but you don’t like their behavior, and not blink. I have to come to school everyday and not just care about these students education but their lives and hearts as well.

I couldn’t do this without God’s help every single day. I am not a great teacher, but God is and I depend on him to help fill the gaps where I will fall short.

• Annie
      posted on Oct 07, 2011 at 6:23 AM  |  reply

Beautifully said, Larissa.

7. posted on Oct 07, 2011 at 9:55 AM  |  reply

I believe most jobs require courage. Most of all the courage to let go of fear and believe in yourself!

I love those tights on you by the way, I think they fit the occasion perfectly 🙂

-Jani

8. posted on Oct 15, 2011 at 11:14 PM  |  reply

I agree with Jani. Every job takes courage because every job takes something from the person doing the job.

9. posted on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM  |  reply

It takes courage to be ” older women in Titus”. Just believing takes courage…believing and doing something about what you believe….yeah i have to agree, every job takes courage