Day 10 :: Saddle up.

on October 10, 2011 in 31 Days of Courage with 12 comments by

I had a very exciting Sunday indeed.

And I’m not simply referring to watching Downton Abbey with twenty college girls and then having to defeat this pile of dishes [though that was exciting and courageous].

Before all that happened, I hopped a train to St. Andrews on Sunday morning.

Follow me here. My Dad’s first cousin’s daughter (MB) and her husband have just moved to St. Andrews, and my Dad’s first cousin and her best friend, who are both good friends of my parents, were in town.

So what I’m saying is, kinfolk moved to Scotland and more kinfolk came to visit.

It was really. really. fun. I hadn’t really thought through the fact that I hadn’t seen proper FAMILY since July. So it was nice to have some family time.

Though we aren’t first cousins, and I actually had never met MB’s husband, it was nice to be around my people. I’m lucky to be related to them.

It’s like this- my grandmother and MB’s grandfather were brother and sister. And Sunday morning, as MB and I stood side-by-side in church and worshipped together, I could just imagine my grandmother and her grandfather standing together and smiling down from Heaven.

Because their people love God and love the nations and love each other.

You can’t ask much more for your descendants, I don’t think.

All that is well and good and sweet and all, but here’s where courage comes in: I rode a motorcycle.

[Sorry that this is how you are finding out, Mama. But your friends let me do it. 🙂]

My train was at 3:20ish and the afternoon got away from us. So instead of taking a bus out to the station, MB’s husband just scooted me out there on his motorcycle.

I saddled up on a motorcycle with my cousin’s husband, whom I had known for approximately four hours, and held on for dear life.

I’ve never been on a motorcycle before. And I’m not gonna lie, it’s pretty awesome. Especially on a perfect weather day through the countryside of Scotland. It probably helped that this cool old bike tops out at about 50 MPH, so we weren’t flying, but it was sure faster than I pedal a bicycle, which before yesterday had been my only experience on a two-wheeled vehicle.

[I just made the choice not to think about what would happen to my skin were I to fall off said 50 MPH motorcycle.]

It was very exciting and bizarre and an unexpected turn of events.

Oh, and of course I said, “well, this is perfect ABSOLUTELY! PERFECT! for my blog.” Because if there is one thing you people love, it is when I get in weird situations unexpectedly and have my camera along to record it.

So I said, “MB, we must take a picture together.”

You are welcome, world.

My courage knows no bounds. 🙂

. . . . .

Do you have any brave stories of transportation?

. . . . .

Who I’m reading: Sandra’s 31 Days of Better Writing. Just in the first nine days, I have learned A TON. So looking forward to the rest of the month.

1. posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 6:09 AM  |  reply

Yay for family! You look sporty in your helmet. My experiences on motorcycles were not so…peaceful? I remember being about 12 and riding on the back of my uncle’s motorcycle. It was glorious until we were almost hit. The car didn’t see us and we had to swerve to avoid being hit. I still remember my uncle righting the bike, taking off his helmet, looking me square in the eyes and saying, “Please don’t tell your mama and daddy about this.” I didn’t. And I didn’t get on another motorcycle for years. Guardian angels.

2. posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 8:20 AM  |  reply

Your outfit is SO cute! Love it.

3. Merideth
    posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

I’ve never ridden a motercycle, but it might be fun to do sometime. I’m not really a biker babe, though. As for transportation related adventures…I actually have a few. One was driving speedboats at Disney World when I was about 8. Loved it! My dad drove the boat out far enough so no one would notice him turn the wheel over to me. It was so fun. By the way. I had low vision at that time, but not blind. So, I could see to avoid hitting anything. Then, when I was 18, right before a close friend and I had parted ways to go to college, she took me to the parking lot of our junior high and let me drive. The parking lot was empty, and I could still see out of one eye at this age. Not only did she let me drive, but she let me drive her parents’ car. I don’t think they know about it to this day. My parents finally heard about it from me a year or so after it happened. Then, when I was in Athens, I had another friend let me drive her car in the kmart parking lot. That one was full of people and cars and the police, and my eye sight was as bad as it is today(virtually gone). So, I couldn’t see the objects I needed to avoid hitting, but I didn’t hit anything and managed to avoid getting stopped by the cops and parked in a parking space successfully. OH, and I also drove a wave runner on lake aconee a few times(I have no idea how to spell the name of that lake). I like when people let me drive. All lots of fun.

4. Susan
    posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM  |  reply

Annie, you make life fun, girl. I have to say I agree with the above comments, cute outfit, but I’m really loving the boots.
    Glad you had a great time with friends and family and and adventure to top it all off. Love you girl and miss your laugh.
    Blessings,
    Susan

5. posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM  |  reply

bahaha…love it 🙂 My craziest transportation story was probably when I was studying in Oman. The drivers there – insane. But the worst driver in the entire country was our professor. There would be 12 of us crammed into an SUV and we all seriously prayed for our lives whenever we had to drive somewhere. He got us back for our complaining when we went camping in the Wahiba Sands. He took us dunebashing and nearly killed us all. It was a blast, ha!

6. posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM  |  reply

Absolutely true brave story about transportation: Had a chance to fly in a WWII historical aircraft used in airshows. Me and friends were invited.

I wanted to go, but was totally brave and courageous and refused. Endured ridicule from macho buddies. But it just wasn’t part of my life gameplan. Pictured myself asked by Jesus after crashing, “Now when did we talk about you doing risky things for fun…?”

One of those planes crashed a few weeks later. Pilot died.

Me brave and live.

7. posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 6:30 PM  |  reply

I find it so odd that you’ve never been on a motorcycle!

And I KNOW Kath and Buddy were totally smiling…we’ve got some of the best kinfolk in the world.

8. posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 6:59 PM  |  reply

Annie, I don’t think I’ve ever commented on your blog before, but I’ve been following you for a few months now, and I just had to comment today because, well, I love Edinburgh and I love, love, LOVE St. Andrews. I’ve taken the train that you took a few times before, and I’ve stayed in a little town across the Firth of Forth (don’t you just love to say that?) called Burntisland a couple of times in a darling little guest house there run by the most adorable Scottish couple. Anyway, I am so enjoying reading about your adventures in Scotland because I can picture everything you’re writing about. Thanks for taking us along on the journey!

9. posted on Oct 10, 2011 at 8:07 PM  |  reply

I guess I’ve traveled on two modes of transportation that required bravery: a helicopter (over the Badlands of South Dakota) and an airplane with only 4 seats. I think it was a Cessna. Oh, I remembered a third–a police car. Not because I had been arrested, mind you. And it’s too long of a story to go into right now. Kudos to you for riding a motorcycle, though. I’m still too chicken for that. 🙂

10. Dana
    posted on Oct 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM  |  reply

Way to go for getting on the motorcycle!! I swore up and down that I would never ride one, until my husband convinced me that he needed one for ministry purposes. I enjoyed riding on the back, but I hated staring at the back of his helmet. I now own my own motorcycle. I was riding for 6 months before my mother found out,haha. My excuse is that I have never done anything rebellious in my life! I love being a part of nature driving down the country rodes in TN, especially in the Fall. I have to admit, I feel kinda hardcore and cool too.

11. Jennifer
    posted on Oct 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM  |  reply

I knew all the relatives mentioned in an early chapter of my life. Katherine would have been there cheering you on and wouldn’t she be saying “How Proud” she is of you.
    Bet she and and Buddy are still singing the praises of their children and grandchildren.

12. posted on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM  |  reply

Oh my goodnes Annie, I love motocycles…we owned on years ago then started having our children but the love for riding runs deep in our viens….there is true freedom riding along some beautiful beach with mountains on one side, ocean on the other. we always said we would own another one but for health reason not possible…but love encouraging others to try it.
    after years of living with fear everytime I would fly I finally realized my fear came from a feeling of not having control of the plane….now I love to fly too adn if I were young enough I would learn to fly one of those little red heli..only way to see the world, it goes low and slow. You see with all those machine came a tremendeous amount of fear but i learned to look fear in the face and do it anyway…fear has to leave eventually when it knows it can’t get you…courage takes over.