Day 21 :: Sing it out.

on October 21, 2011 in 31 Days of Courage, Sounds good to me., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 33 comments by

Congrats to Jenny for winning the beautiful print from Bit O Whimsey! Remember the rest of us get 10% off our purchase using the code ANNIEBLOGS2011 until October 31. Getcha some.

. . . . .

Happy Friday! Each Friday, we like to list 5 of our favorite things. Play along!

When I decided to move to Nashville, I made a playlist. I ran through that thing a bazillion times. It seemed that every time I heard those songs, courage rose up in me. They were the gas in my tank. I’ve added a few since then, new ones that speak to my soul. So today, I want to share with you, in no particular order, the….

TOP 5 SONGS THAT MAKE ME BRAVE

1. Always by SwitchfootΒ

Favorite lyric: “Hallelujah, I’m caving in. Hallelujah, I’m in love again. Hallelujah, I’m a wretched man. Hallelujah, every breath is a second chance.”

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is enough to have a quiet time over. Jon Foreman’s lyrics do that to me a lot. Like, a lot.

. . . . .

2. You Won’t Relent by Misty Edwards

Phew. This one is great for reminding me that God is the One pursuing, the One moving things [people], the One who truly does all the work. In brave moments, it’s good to remember who is in charge. [Answer: not you.]

Favorite lyric : “Come be the fire inside of me, come be the flame upon my heart.

[cheesy video. My apologies. All the ones of Misty were 10 minutes long… oh Jesus Culture. You and your long worship songs. πŸ™‚ ]

. . . . .

3. Vision of You by Shane & Shane

Favorite lyric: “And may the vision of You be the death of me.

Pre-Nash, I used to sing this. And weep. Every time. That line meant the world to me. I needed to say that to Jesus- I needed my desires to die to His until they could live in sync with what God had for me. It’s so funny to me, even now, three years later, I hear that lyric and tears come to my eyes.

Because I still need a vision of Jesus to be the death of me.

. . . . .

4. After the Storm by Mumford & Sons

My friends are laughing right now. Because they know what you are about to learn what they all know. I absolutely adore Mumford & Sons. You can read about it here. Obsessed? That’s too strong a word. But barely.

This song soothes. When things feel too hard, I turn here and I think about God.

Favorite lyric : “There will come a time, you’ll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears. Get over your hill and see what you find there. With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

. . . . .

5. Don’t Get Comfortable by Brandon Heath

I like Brandon. He’s a great guy. But I don’t listen to tons of his music. However, when I was packing up my house in 2008 [long before I liked him and thought he was a great guy], I found this CD. I played it. And this song moved me. Majorly.

Favorite lyric : “I am gonna move this mountain, then I’m gonna move you in. Yesterday, this is not yesterday. You were standing on My shoulders. Now you’re standing on the edge.”

. . . . .

And because I am always going to tell you something funny versus saving my pride, I’m here to confess that this song was on my list too.

Don’t judge me. I was ready, set, but I didn’t want to go. Also, I’m disheartened that I couldn’t find a video with Miley, because that’s the version I own on my iPod listened to sometimes.

. . . .

YOUR TURN!

What songs push you towards courage?Β

Share on, friends, as many or as few songs as you like.Β

. . . . .

Also, happy 30th birthday to my sister Tatum! Woot. Welcome to the 30s. You’re gonna love it. Being 30 is way cooler than people in their 20s want you to believe. Love you!

1. posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM  |  reply

Love this Top 5, Annie! I didn’t think it would be this tough.

Keith Green -Asleep in the Light http://youtu.be/ik-XOVZcwow.
    It gives me courage to get out there and tell others about Jesus. (The Victor was a close second.)

Shane and Shane -Be Near, Oh God http://youtu.be/-Uq8ZVj5Hww
    (And their new video The One You Need on their blog makes me cry the ugly cry.)

Misty and the Jesus Culture – How He Loves – took up much of my listening time years ago. How can we not feel courageous knowing how He loves us.

Can I have Mumford and Sons’ After the Storm on my list, too? Because I really love them and that song.

Dance with Me by Evan Earwicker isn’t really a courage song, but it’s one I never tire of and makes me long to dance with Jesus. (After the bridesmaids came down the aisle, my daughter and some others danced down the aisles to this at a friend’s outdoor wedding. Then the bride danced down the aisle with her dad to her groom. Breathtaking.)
    Go listen, Annie.

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:22 AM  |  reply

Oh wow. Yes yes yes.

2. merideth
    posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM  |  reply

I like these songs. Never heard any of them, so thanks for enlightening me. I need to go find them on itunes now.
    I don’t really have a list of songs that give me courage, but there is a song that has been my prayer over the past few years through a ton of rough stuff. It’s Hold My Heart by Tenth Avenue North. The verse that sticks out to me is “so many questions without answers, your promises remain. I can’t see, but I’ll take my chances to hear you call my name.”. That pretty much says it all for me these days.

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:22 AM  |  reply

I really dig Tenth Avenue North.

3. posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM  |  reply

yeahhhh annie!! I am writing about songs this month!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE Don’t Get Comfortable. especially the clapping. the clapping fills me with life.

my courage songs….
    well right now it’s “not alone” by darren criss {linklinklink-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_SGA46QxP4}

I tend to need courage the most when I’m already beaten down, so many of mine are ballads so that when I’m listening to “sad” music and crying in my room, I get a bit of a kick in the butt, a bit of safety in numbers if you will.

oh and “bigger than my body” by john mayer.

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:22 AM  |  reply

Yes. Ballads rule.

LOVING your 31 days of song. Great idea!

4. Betsy
    posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM  |  reply

My first thoughts when in need of courage always go to the song Let Go by Frou Frou. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Cg1wxgX6M

I tend to need courage most when it comes to emotional things. I like to keep my cards close to my heart.

This song is especially helpful when I’m needing to “let go” & be vulnerable…(music nerd alert) the music building up up up & then dropping out, the swells of strings, all out it just makes me wanna let go. Then the line of “there’s beauty in the breakdown”, it’s like fine Frou Frou you win, you always do.

• posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 1:33 PM  |  reply

@Betsy,
      “it’s like fine Frou Frou you win, you always do.” Love it! That’s one of my favorite songs πŸ™‚

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:23 AM  |  reply

Listening now…. why haven’t you told me about this sooner???

5. posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM  |  reply

I don’t know if I’ve ever made a “courage” playlist…will have to start trolling my itunes πŸ™‚ I love Desert Song by Hillsong United http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgUUeQh0CQ “I will bring praise” no matter what the season!

And even though it’s about boys, I love Casting Crowns’ “Courageous”. ‘Cause girls were made to be courageous too πŸ™‚

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:23 AM  |  reply

Desert Song. Yes x a million. Love it.

6. posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM  |  reply

Anne, I love this series, especially the posts on moving to Nashville. I’m moving next week and going through a lot of emotions. This has definitely been a comfort. I’ll be driving through Nashville along the way πŸ™‚

Beauty from Pain by Superchick really ANYTHING by Superchick
    Walk By Faith- Jermey camp
    There will be a day- Jeremy camp
    Cry out to Jesus-third day
    Hold me Jesus- Big daddy weave
    A little bit stronger- Sara Evans
    Temporary home- Carrie Underwoood
    Jesus take the wheel- Carrie underfoot
    I will survive-Gloria gaynor
    Our hope endures- Natalie grant

I’m going to stop now

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:23 AM  |  reply

Praying for you as you move, Tonya.

Do some research on the songwriting of A Little Bit Stronger. It’s an important song to me. πŸ™‚

• posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM  |  reply

@Annie, Hilary co-wrote it!! I downloaded Lady A’s new album for my trip πŸ™‚ I wish I had the talent & know-how to write songs

7. posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM  |  reply

I listened to Ready Set Go A LOT and I may have even shed some tears…

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:24 AM  |  reply

We would.

8. posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM  |  reply

LOVE Let Go by Frou Frou, Run by Snow Patrol, Learning to Breathe by Switchfoot…I could keep going but those songs all give me courage. Thanks for sharing these songs!

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:24 AM  |  reply

Switchfoot lyrics slay me. Repeatedly.

9. Sarah
    posted on Oct 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM  |  reply

1.)Love is not a fight by Warren Barfield
    2.)Anything by BarlowGirl
    3.)And Nicole C. Mullen
    4.)Hallelujah by Bethany Dillan
    5.)Time In Between by Francessca Battastilli
    6.)Indescribable
    Great list!

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:59 AM  |  reply

#4 for the win.

10. posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 1:05 AM  |  reply

WONDERMOUS post! I absolutely adore musical playlists – I’ve done two this month…but I definitely like the idea of songs about ‘courage’ more than my current topic. (songs about waiting). Only a few come to mind right away…that’s a great topic musically to think about…
    1.”Don’t Stop Believein’ by Journey (don’t judge, methinks I’m a little older than you πŸ™‚
    2. “Don’t Give Up” by Peter Gabriel
    3.Strength, Courage & Wisdom by India Arie
    4.All I Need by Bethany Dillon
    5.multiple songs by U2 and Brooke Fraser (couldn’t pick just one)…
    Thanks for this post!

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM  |  reply

Your list. I love it.

11. posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM  |  reply

P.S. I just read your post on Mumford and Sons – LOVED it! I too feel the same way about Mumford & Sons (though I haven’t had the blessing of hearing them in concert). When I first discovered their music, I was so excited, but their single Little Lion Man – though catchy – was peppered with F bombs, and I wrestled with downloading the album, but in the end, didn’t do it – only downloading some of my favorite tunes. (I’m sure I’ll download the rest of the album eventually). Anyhoo, I love how you wrote about them…and I completely agree!
    (musical kindred tastes…love it :))
    Thanks again

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM  |  reply

Yes. Please download the album. It’s amazing.

12. posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 1:50 AM  |  reply

I LOVE Misty! Anything and everything that comes out of KC-IHOP or Jesus Culture pushes me towards courage. I am too tired to think of titles! Ha ha!

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM  |  reply

Agreed.

13. Andrea
    posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM  |  reply

P.S.- I love me some Dave Barnes too!! His music makes me want to fall in love with the next person who walks through my door!! Aaaanndddd I think Billy currington picked up “Until You”!! Well, he covered it at a concert recently.

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:02 AM  |  reply

Yes! Until You is on Billy’s most recent album. Dave is a killer songwriter- makes sense that all the country folk would want his stuff!

14. posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM  |  reply

One of Misty Edwards songs helped me through some hard places last year. Amazing. Amazing.

I too have an obsession with Mumford and Sons…. After the Storm is my ringtone because…. one can never hear that song enough.

I don’t really have a courage playlist but now…I am going to scour my iTunes and make one.

I will say even though it does not have any words, the song Primavera by Ludovico Einaudi (http://youtu.be/CB4fO-f33K0) moves me to want to do something. There is just something so stirring about it.

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:02 AM  |  reply

Sometimes orchestral music says more than any music with words ever could.

15. posted on Oct 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM  |  reply

Oh man, some great songs!
    Mumford is amazing.
    (I also love that Miley Cyrus song, although it’s hard to admit.)
    Some of my favourites:
    Ali in the Jungle by the Hours
    Ya Better Believe by Max Morgan
    Whip It by Devo
    Reign in Us by Starfield.

posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:03 AM  |  reply

I don’t know 2 of your songs… going to listen now! πŸ™‚

16. posted on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM  |  reply

when i was younger it was “Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning” – classic.
    Right now, it’s probably either Nothing I Hold On To or Set a Fire by United Pursuit.
    Totally with you on Mumford and Jon Foreman πŸ™‚