Day 31 :: Le Finale

on October 31, 2011 in 31 Days of Courage with 10 comments by

We’ve done it. Somehow, we’ve managed to talk about courage for a full 31 days.

And I. Have. Loved. It.

There is so much left to say, so much left for me to learn from you, so many more verses and Bible stories to discuss. Stick around… I don’t think we’re quite done with this topic yet. [Though I will be happy to focus on something different in November… like leaving Edinburgh. Weird.]

Speaking of Edinburgh, here’s something I forgot to tell you. In that little 31 Days of Courage button over there…. the grey pixelated background you see? That’s a map of Edinburgh. I thought that was a cool thing to build my courage button over.

I don’t know about you, but this month has been really great and terribly hard. I didn’t expect this series to cause the kind of stir in the spiritual atmosphere that I’ve been experiencing. I mean, I’m sure it is a bunch of factors [including being on the front lines of a church plant in Edinburgh], but having all of you considering courage is a major thing and I think the battle for your hearts is a major battle. And a worthy battle it is.

Because if we all choose to embrace courage in our every day lives, we will change the atmosphere of the world in which we live.

And that, my friend, is no small thing.

So what now?

Now you have to be brave. Now you have to do that thing that you are scared to do. Or say that yes that makes your heart feel like it will burst out of your chest. Or say no because you know it is the right thing to do. It’s time to go or it’s time to buckle down and stay. Remember, it doesn’t have to be extreme [but it can be!]. Courage is simple and daily and yet, it changes everything.

It’s time to be a people who may hear the whispers of fear, but we don’t listen to them. Instead, we choose the braver voice in our ears.

In one year, October 31, 2012, I’m going to ask for your story of courage, the simple and profound moments that shaped you. I wonder how our lives will be different then…

And, if you would permit, I’d like to end this month praying for you.

Father,

Thank You for these friends who stop by here every day. I am beyond grateful that You have created a place where we all share our thoughts and a place where we can challenge each other. God, my heart is to see this community really embrace a courageous lifestyle. I know everyone’s story will be different, but I pray that You would speak to each heart individually and show them their path of courage. I pray that lives all around us would begin to be influenced by our moments of simple bravery. And I pray, above all else, that You would be glorified in our courage. It’s all for You.   … Amen.

1. posted on Oct 31, 2011 at 11:06 AM  |  reply

You’ve brought tears to my eyes. I didn’t sleep much last night and I know why. I feel the spiritual battle raging. Thank you for praying for me. Thank you for this series. Thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone. Thank you for pointing the way down the Brave Road. The destination is Christ.

Today in order to fight against this attack, we are studying the Five Solas. It’s Reformation Day!

2. merideth
    posted on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

Loved that you did this for the whole month. I’m going to miss it! Praying for your heart as you approach the end of your time in Scotland.

3. BTC
    posted on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:55 PM  |  reply

Here is the take on the issue of courage from a not-so-wise old guy.

Courage is when you leave your steady income job, sell your house, leave all your friends and family and move to a city 240 miles away where you know no one.

Courage is when you leave the security of your hometown and family and become a missionary traveling to such places as India, Vietnam and Borneo.

Courage is, as a high school student, going to Ghana without your parents to work in an orphanage for a week. Or moving to the big city to work in a national firm for your first job where you are the new kid on the block.

Courage is listening to God. Real courage is doing what He says.

Just an observation from an old guy that remains in awe.

• posted on Nov 01, 2011 at 3:34 AM  |  reply

that’s a pretty great dad right there.

• Face
      posted on Nov 01, 2011 at 8:49 AM  |  reply

He totally stole my line.

4. Jessica
    posted on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM  |  reply

Well Miss Annie. It’s been quite a month.

I’ve done “brave” things my whole life- traveled to do missions work in other countries, spoken on stage, shared the gospel…but I’ve never been brave enough to do what I did last night.

Last night, I got all dressed up, put on a knock-out dress, and went on a date. Instead of trying to be someone I was not, I was my dorky, ever so slightly awkward self. It took courage not to put up walls. But above all, it took courage to think of myself as what I am: a beautiful daughter of God. Courage is daring to be who you are created to be in Christ. And that’s who I was last night 🙂

Thank you for your vulnerability!
    Jessica

5. Amy W
    posted on Oct 31, 2011 at 2:45 PM  |  reply

Annie, your last few posts have really spoken to me. There are so many things I’m not doing because I’m not brave enough and can’t quite find the courage – but you’re inspiring me to try. I wonder what the world will be like in a year?! x

6. posted on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:00 PM  |  reply

Annie, I have been so blessed by this series and you as a courageous woman of God. As I read this, I’m surrounded by boxes sitting in my new temporary home until I find a job in (and/or the money to move to) Nashville. As I handed my keys to my landlady last night and said goodbye to my “home” I thought, “This is the bravest thing I’ve ever done.” I’ve traveled to the Middle East, lived alone for 6 months in a country where I barely knew the language, moved 2000 miles from home to go to college, drove cross country by myself and still – this is the bravest I’ve ever felt. Those were all just the “next thing” but this is chosen obedience. Praying for this little community as we launch a new year of bravery 🙂

PS – thought of you this week while I was at a Dave Barnes concert 🙂

7. posted on Oct 31, 2011 at 6:55 PM  |  reply

Thank you Annie for your 31 Days of Courage posts. You’ve done a wonderful job and made me think a lot and listen more carefully for what God is leading me to do in my life. You are a blessing!

8. posted on Nov 01, 2011 at 6:52 AM  |  reply

Annie,

I’ve loved this series and it has been well timed for a lot of us. Praying for your last 20 days in Scotland, and excited to read the stories of courage next October.

Bindu