Books for teens.

on December 22, 2011 in I heart books. with 9 comments by

People ask me often about what books teenagers should/could/would maybe like to read. And while you may be SUPER close to running out of time to shop for a Christmas gift, I thought I’d offer this list anyways. 🙂

Thanks to my friends on facebook and my read-a-holic sister and my book nerd self, we’ve come up with a pretty stout list of books that you can find on Amazon. So check it out!

Non-fiction

The Divine Dance by Shannon Primicerio

The Truth About Dating, Love, and Just Being Friends by Chad Eastham

Let Me Be a Woman by Elizabeth Elliot

Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis

SHE Teen by Rebecca St. James

Life.Now. by Michael & Shannon Primicerio

A Cord of Three Strands by Sara Berry and Tricia Robbins

Susie Magazine subscription

. . . . .

Fiction

Christy Miller Series by Robin Jones Gunn [there are LOTS of these… get your gal hooked and you’re set for gifts for a while!]

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

In Front of God and Everybody (The Confessions of April Grace) by KD McCrite

Asking for Trouble by Sandra Byrd

. . . . .

Have any suggestions you’d like to add to the list?

1. Eleanor
    posted on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:15 PM  |  reply

Anything by John Green. My favorites are “Looking for Alaska” and “An Abundance of Katherines.” LfA is pretty graphic, but it’s still a fantastic book.

• Annie
      posted on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM  |  reply

@Eleanor, DFTBA. 🙂

• Eleanor
        posted on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:26 PM  |  reply

@Annie,

DFTBA, indeed! He’s so great. 🙂

2. posted on Dec 22, 2011 at 8:20 PM  |  reply

haha, i used to hate reading anything that stated it was ‘for teens’ like some writer was trying real hard to be cool. :p now i’m no longer a teen i probably try too hard to be ‘cool’ again too! i try to get my students to read jane austen, not sure it works though! 😉 x

3. posted on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:07 PM  |  reply

Any book by Jenny B Jones.

4. SWF
    posted on Dec 22, 2011 at 11:21 PM  |  reply

I love young adult literature! It’s so nice to find some well-written “quick reads” sometimes. Luckily I have a friend who teaches fifth and seventh grade language arts who throws me recommendations every so often.

I’ve only read the first book of seven yet, but the Shadow Children Series by Margaret Peterson Haddix is shaping up to be great.

Fans of The Hunger Games will also enjoy The Tomorrow Series by Australian author John Marsden. I read the series as a teen and couldn’t put them down – I’ve reread them a few times as an adult and still think they’re great. For older teens, because of themes/war violence.

5. Lindsey
    posted on Dec 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM  |  reply

What about YOUR book, Annie? 🙂

6. Tonya
    posted on Dec 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM  |  reply

What is it that makes The Hunger Games so great for teens? (My 12 year old is an extremely high reader.) What themes make them great books? Or are they “great” just because everyone is reading them? (I am not being coy here, I am looking for discerning answers.)

7. posted on Jan 04, 2012 at 12:57 AM  |  reply

Hey there! Thank you for including Asking for Trouble, my friend. I heart you!