Top 5 Friday: Guilty pleasure music.

on January 6, 2012 in Sounds good to me., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 27 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

There is no reason why I love these songs. I just do. Do I feel a smidge of shame? Maybe. But do I turn the station when the radio plays one of these? Absolutely not.

These are the Top 5 songs that I love dearly, even if it isn’t cool to love them. These are the songs that I remember singing as a child, or as a teen, and knowing that they would follow me into my adult life and be in my heart forevermore.

Don’t judge me. Celebrate with me. Watch the videos, relax into the music. Realize that in days gone by, there was some interesting songs being made that WE ALL STILL LOVE. Okay? Okay. Proceed.

1. Islands in the Stream

Dolly + Kenny = a win. Every time.

. . . . .

2. Fancy

Don’t even get me started. You know how I feel about Reba. If you haven’t read this post from when I stood beside Reba, do it. And mourn with me.

. . . . .

3. I Just Called To Say I Love You

The first boy who thinks to call me and sing this chorus will have my undying affection.

. . . . .

4. Uptown Girl

I grew up singing this song with my Mom. [Uh, dear Mama, do you care that I just told the Internet that you had a thing for Billy Joel in the 80s? Would you like me to also mention that you loved Tom Selleck from Magnum PI?

No? Ok. I won’t then.]

. . . . .

5. To Be With You

Right? Who is with me? You know you loved this song. You KNOW you did.Β You still love it. You still do. It’s okay. This is a safe place. No judgement here.

Also, the key change at 2:30? That’s the stuff that magic is made of.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

Go ahead. Fess up. What are some songs that are your guilty pleasure?

1. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 6:12 AM  |  reply

Music gets me every time!
    I love your list by the way. And that last one revealed a little more about you. πŸ˜‰ I had Billy Joel’s Big Shot on here, but felt these others were a better pick. Tell your mama I have every Billy Joel album in my closet and his was the first real concert I saw.

1. ABBA – Dancing Queen

2. John Cougar Mellencamp – Jack and Diane

3. Wild Cherry – Play That Funky Music

4. Jimmy Buffet – Margaritaville

I would have listed MMMBop, but that’s just too embarrassing…

2. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 6:21 AM  |  reply

Oh MY, I love your selection.

I also love Islands in the Stream, Uptown Girl (in fact, I have a MAJOR thing for Billy Joel!) and yes to key changes. In fact there’s a Billy Joel song with a good one – just can’t remember now.

3. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 6:33 AM  |  reply

Oh my 5 that make me get up and go:

Tainted Love – Soft Cell
    Come on Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners
    Girls just wanna have fun – Cyndi Lauper
    It’s got to be perfect – fairground attraction
    When will I (will I) be famous? – Bros

And yes, I’m firmly entrenched in the 80s πŸ™‚

4. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 6:34 AM  |  reply

And my absolute best, You can’t hurry love – Phil Collins – INSTANT cheering up music

5. merideth
    posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 9:35 AM  |  reply

I’ve always loved Billy Joel. He is probably not considered cool anymore, but I will always like him, and uptown girl is one of my favorites of his songs. I’m a bit of an 80s girl. Gotta admit I like the song footloose, and the movie(the original). Hearing your number 5 song made me think of a song my friends and I liked by Extreme. I am having trouble remembering the name of it. But, it was a big deal because supposedly the guys in Extreme(I think their last name was Nelson and they were twins) were from my hometown in Massachusetts. At least that is what I was told. Not sure how true it is, though.

6. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 10:06 AM  |  reply

Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle is one of my most favorites ever.

How Do I Live by LeAnn Rimes is also a favorite.

7. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

Sub out a little Don’t Stop Believin for Stevie Wonder (although that is a great song) and Scenes from an Italian Restaurant for Uptown Girl and our list matches up almost identically.

Going to listen to Mr. Big now. Just told someone yesterday it was the song I like to karaoke to. I sound just lovely!

8. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 11:53 AM  |  reply

Oooh this is a fun one! Now I’m going to have to fire up a good Pandora station…

1. “My Heart Will Go On”, though I refuse to feel guilty for loving it because WE ALL LOVE IT. As we should.
    2. “Fantasy” by Ludacris. It’s so, so awful – the lyrics are SO AWFUL – but the rhythm of it is so catchy. Someone needs to do a lyric re-write so I don’t have to put on a fake mustache when I listen to it in public.
    3. “Whiskey Girl” by Toby Keith. Don’t my baby look good in them blue jeans?
    4. “Kryptonite” by 3 Doors Down. I’M SORRY.
    5. “Rhythm is Gonna Get You” by Gloria Estefan… Come on shake your body babay do that conga!!

9. Katie
    posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 1:12 PM  |  reply

I love Billy Joel and Stevie! But my one real guilty pleasure song is Spice Girls, “Wannabe”.

10. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 1:57 PM  |  reply

There are sooo many to choose from!
    1. Me against the music-Britney spears
    2. I like to move it-Sasha baron Cohen
    3. Party in the USA-Miley Cyrus
    4. Summer girls-LFO
    5. Play that funky music

Now I feel like I have to go and listen to all the songs everyone listed πŸ™‚

11. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 2:13 PM  |  reply

Aaron’s Party:

I know every single word.

12. Marie
    posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 5:37 PM  |  reply

I LOVE Lady Antebellum’s music. The only thing guilty about it is I listen to it too much πŸ™‚

13. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 6:35 PM  |  reply

The new M83 song “Midnight City”. I know SO CLICHΓ‰ at this point, right? I mean, Pitchfork reviewed that in July, and I’m still listening to it like a complete loser. Don’t look at my musical taste; it’s HIDEOUS.

This one is mortifying as well…don’t tell anyone I’ve been listening to Bon Iver’s “Perth” either. I’M SORRY.

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜›

14. Travis
    posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 9:24 PM  |  reply

This is going to be tough. I am a walking guilty pleasure. I don’t know what that means. It seems vaguely inappropriate, but it also makes me laugh so I am keeping it. On to my list.

1. “Charlie, Last name Wilson”- Charlie Wilson

Classic. Every single word.

2. “Getting Jiggy with It”- Will Smith

It was one of the 1st cds I ever bought, and I am more than ok with that. Also, I really wanted one of those blue adidas outfits from the video.

3. “Teenage Dream”- Katy Perry

It’s not that I want to like it. It’s just that I can’t stop myself.

4. “Toxic”- Britney Spears

Doesn’t every guilty pleasure list involve Britney Spears? No? Also, that video cracks me up for some reason.

5. “Fearless”- Taylor Swift

So what if I know every single word. I have 2 nieces now. I need to be able to relate to them.

15. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 9:28 PM  |  reply

Good choice with #1! Love it! πŸ™‚

16. Kristi Kay
    posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 9:29 PM  |  reply

“Islands in the Stream”…will get me every time. How can you NOT sing/scream along?!

17. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 11:44 PM  |  reply

Haha, I love this post!
    Of those songs, I only know “Uptown Girl.” Does that say bad things about my musical literacy?

My number one is and will forever be “My Heart Will Go On” by CΓ©line! Love that song!

18. Andrea
    posted on Jan 08, 2012 at 11:51 AM  |  reply

I AM SO EXCITED THAT YOU HAVE #3 AND #5 ON YOUR LIST!!!! #3 plays a major role in my childhood!! My brother and I were forced to listen to it while my mom warmed up for her ‘Jazzercise’ workout in our living room but we grew to love it . And #5 has been in my music library for the longest and when it comes on, I either get the ‘what and the world is this song’ or ‘oh heck yes!’ look and I jam it regardless.

Here is my list:
    1. Bell Biv Devoe- Poison. Bo explanation needed right ?
    2. Boyz II Men- Motown Philly…. playing the ‘air trumpet’ is a requirement.
    3. Presidents of the united states- Lump. Am I the only one who remembers this group? This was my 1st CD. Still listen to it.
    4. S club 7- Never had a dream come true. Just in case you need a refresher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8E15HNlc-M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

5. Anything Michael Bolton. Big. Time. Guilty. Pleasure.

• posted on Jan 08, 2012 at 2:30 PM  |  reply

@Andrea, I loved Presidents of the United States! I could totally still sing along to Lump.

19. Rachel
    posted on Jan 09, 2012 at 12:19 AM  |  reply

I have loved the song “I Just Called To Say I Love You” ever since I had the privilege of hearing Joshua Jackson sing it on the set of Dawson’s Creek when I was an extra many years ago. πŸ™‚

20. posted on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM  |  reply

If I were to make a favorite songs list…this would be it! Love me some Dolly and Kenny! My little sis and I used to BE Dolly and Kenny to this song…and perform it in front of any and all who would watch! L-O-V-E!

21. posted on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM  |  reply

So, I need you to know that “Fancy” is the ringtone I have set for my mom, and when you’re out and about, usually in an aisle with a stranger at Target, it’s REALLY loud.

1. “Baby Got Back.” I know… but I can’t help it.

2. Lisa Loeb, “Stay.” If that song comes on and I’m in the car with friends, watch out.

3. I also love some Mr. Big and “To Be w/ You”

4. Mr. Mister, “Broken Wings”

5. And I agree with Andrea, anything Michael Bolton. Or Celine.

22. posted on Jan 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM  |  reply

very funny! happy new year!!

23. posted on Jan 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM  |  reply

Oh, how I loved “To Be With You”…I so wanted someone to feel that way about me!! πŸ™‚
    Most of the Journey songs, for sure.
    But really? Dancing Queen…I have danced in public to that song more than once. And I mean, like the Galleria in Dallas kind of public.

24. posted on Sep 06, 2013 at 4:41 PM  |  reply

[…] following Annie‘s lead and posting my top five guilty pleasure songs β€” songs I’m slightly embarrassed […]