Introducing Perfectly Unique.

on March 8, 2012 in Perfectly Unique with 61 comments by

First of all, your responses and love yesterday at this news were beyond anything I knew to emotionally prepare for. Your excitement means the world. I know so many of you, from childhood friends to faithful bloggites, have walked this road with me for YEARS. So I kinda feel like this is our win together.

So congrats to you too. And thank you times a million for your love and support. This train is just gettin’ started, y’all. Buckle up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now… more about this Zondervan book. [The amount of squealing I’ve done in the last few months while this has all been cooking is unmatched. And EVERY TIME I see the cover, I squeal more. Like now.]

Friends, I’d like you to meet Perfectly Unique.

Perfectly Unique, meet my people.

I know. I died. The cover is BEYOND gorgeous. I could not love it much more. One day soon I will tell you the MIRACULOUS story about the cover and the designer and it will make you go, “whoooooa, God. Nice one.”

Now, I’m going to answer as many of your questions as I can about this book, but the honest response is that I don’t know everything yet. Remember, this is my first rodeo. But I’ll tell you what I know. [And yes, I did ask Zondervan’s permission before showing you the cover. Would hate to ruin this beautiful new relationship this early.]

What is Perfectly Unique?

Perfectly Unique is an updated, re-edited, majorlyย improved version of From Head To Foot. So, Zondervan saw From Head To Footย and what we did with Westbow Press and said, “We like your style, sister. We like what you are working with. We can make it better.”

You know how they take a regular cruise ship and make it a Disney cruise? Yeah, like that.

Is Perfectly Unique just like From Head To Foot?

Is Perfectly Unique a brand new book?

Why is there a new title/cover?

Because it is a new publication. And From Head To Foot was a different book, a different experience, a different thing. So this gal, Perfectly Unique, deserves her own space on the book shelf.

So what? You don’t even love From Head To Foot anymore?ย

I love From Head To Foot so much. So so much. It will always be my first book and it will always make me feel teary to talk about. But Perfectly Unique is that next step- that step that takes the content to a new level, gets put in bookstores and hands across the world, and sets us up for whatever God has in store next.

When will it be out?

September 2012, just in time for school to start back and all the small groups to be ready for new curriculum.

So. 6 months. Ack.

What now?

Now my awesome Zondervan editor is doing the Disney cruise changes, then she’ll send it back to me and I’ll see all the things I have to do and I’ll curl up on my sofa for a day and half and suck my thumb and worry that I’ve gotten myself in over my head.

Then I’ll get to work.

Then it will be summer and then you will be able to get to your own copy ofย Perfectly Unique!

Will I still be able to buy From Head To Foot?

ONLY FOR A FEW MORE WEEKS… then it disappears off Amazon to make room for Perfectly Unique. So if you want one, you better snatch that puppy up now.

Will you be touring around and signing books and all that jazz in the fall?

I hope so. I really really do. More on that soon. I have plans. Involving you. I’ll let you in on them very soon. Because, you know, it’s your life and all.

Do you like the title Perfectly Unique?

Absolutely. It fits me. It fits this book. It fits where I feel God leading my career. All of it.

I still feel like I need to pinch myself about this whole thing. The cover. The title. Zondervan. The whole kit and kaboodle has my feeling terribly humbled and undeserving and terribly excited as well.

. . . . .

Um. That’s about all I know. You are welcome to ask more questions in the comments and I will answer them in the comments.

But I seriously don’t know much else.

Love you guys. Really really. Hope you’re ready for this crazy ride. I think I am.

1. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 4:18 AM  |  reply

Love, love, love the cover! It is fabulous perfection! You must be grinning non-stop from ear to ear. Very happy for you, Annie.

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:40 AM  |  reply

Can’t. Stop. Grinning. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks, Linda!

2. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 5:03 AM  |  reply

This is so fabulous, Annie. And, of course, they like you and your style. Who wouldn’t? Just the endorsement on the cover made me tear up. Sweet. Can’t wait to hear the story behind the cover art.

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:40 AM  |  reply

Agreed- Hillary’s endorsement is so kind. I’m really grateful.

And yes. The cover story is fantastic. I’ll tell y’all soon.

3. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 5:40 AM  |  reply

May I just give a little love to that cover. I’m big into covers since I do judge a book by it’s cover. Gorgie-poo! I’d pick that puppy up and look at it. Can’t wait to hear the story behind it. Congrats!

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:40 AM  |  reply

RIGHT, Deanna?!!? I feel the same way. I’m so so glad you like it.

4. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 6:20 AM  |  reply

wonderful! I’m looking forward to seeing that book on bookstore shelves and picking one or two up ;). Also looking forward to any future books you might be working on. Way to go, Annie!

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:41 AM  |  reply

Oh Lynn. I’m already working on another one. ๐Ÿ™‚ So hopefully you’ll get to read that one soon too.

5. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 7:12 AM  |  reply

i’m a day late in congratulating you! so excited for you and this opportunity! looking forward to reading it and following along on this journey!

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:42 AM  |  reply

Thank you, Caroline!

6. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:41 AM  |  reply

Congratulations!! I’ve been a lurker for years (gosh that sounds way creepier than I intended), but wanted to delurk to say that I’m so excited for you. I love love love the cover and can’t wait to give this book to my daughter this summer. Good job Annie!! ๐Ÿ™‚

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Jill!! So glad to hear from you. I love lurkers- I know you guys are out there. It means a lot that you keep coming back, even if you don’t say anything. ๐Ÿ™‚ So lurk every day if you want! ๐Ÿ™‚ (But I’m super glad you said hi)

7. Stephanie Hughes
    posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:54 AM  |  reply

Annie, this is SO exciting!!! You inspire me to get to work on my writing more! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Congratulations girlie! You deserve this! I pray that the message of the book reaches many, many people.

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:52 AM  |  reply

Do it, girl. And yes- keep praying!!!

• Stephanie Hughes
        posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 10:31 AM  |  reply

I know, I will. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And, I will be praying for sure!!

8. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

The cover is amazing! I’m excited to get my hands on a copy.

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:52 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Jennifer!! I’m so glad you like it.

9. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:00 AM  |  reply

Annie! You are so incredible and I’m just excited that I get to share a tiny piece of this awesome story. Keep writing, my friend! ๐Ÿ™‚

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Dani! I will- I promise. Working on the next book already! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Tricia Kloberdanz
    posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:01 AM  |  reply

So incredibly excited for you!!! If you go on a signing tour in the desert southwest, PLEASE let me know! Your boy Steven is in Tucson and the rest of us Klobies are in Yuma. So we can get just about anywhere out here to see ya. We would LOVE to stand in line for your ‘Annie Downs’!! Built in groupies here, yo! ๐Ÿ˜‰

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Tricia!!! Hugs to you guys!

11. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:01 AM  |  reply

is it september yet?!

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

I wish.

Also, because that is football season. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Becky
    posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:02 AM  |  reply

Wheeeee!!! Annie-bear that is so exciting! I love love *love* the cover (and really want some new Converse right now!) and so proud of you and happy for you! Have a hug from the ‘burgh. x

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:54 AM  |  reply

Thanks Becky!!! Miss you.

13. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:29 AM  |  reply

This may be the best book cover I’ve seen in a LONG time and I can’t stop looking at it! Please tell me that your book tour will involve a stop in the UK? A girl can hope….

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:55 AM  |  reply

Oh friend. I hope it does. You know I do.

A girl can dream…. (and plan?) ๐Ÿ™‚

14. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:31 AM  |  reply

Annie- Is your book/blog stuff all on Facebook as well?
    I’d really like to share things from you on there if that’s all cool.

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:56 AM  |  reply

Oh yeah, Leanna. Go for it sister.

I put a picture of the cover on my author page just now.

Share on! It means so much that you even want to tell your peeps- thank you!

• posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 10:33 AM  |  reply

@Annie, Wonderful! Thanks so much!!

15. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:33 AM  |  reply

I am officially in love with that cover. And the pops of pinks – especially that “Downs” is in pink. I don’t know – it just makes me happy just looking at that cover. I want to be best friends with that cover girl’s feet – for reals! #LiningUpEarlyForMyCopy

posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:56 AM  |  reply

I know, right?!?!

Thanks, LJ. You’ll be getting a copy soon enough. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. merideth
    posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:57 AM  |  reply

Love the title Annie. OK, I need to ask for a description of the cover, since I can’t look at it. And I hope your book is either going to be on kindle or an audio version so that I can read it. So glad you are so happy Annie. You have been truely blessed, and are a blessing.

17. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 10:04 AM  |  reply

YES. All of it. So proud of you, so in love with the book and the cover and the adventure ahead, so ready to see your book in a big ole friggin’ bookstore. YES. Way to go, tiger.

18. Marie-Claire
    posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 10:05 AM  |  reply

Sheesh. Ask me if I’m mad about this.

19. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 10:12 AM  |  reply

Dude! That looks awesome, I love the cover. Big Ups Annie.

20. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 11:20 AM  |  reply

So excited for you Annie!! Many many congrats!

I was reading your guest blog on a site last week, and I do hope in your future that you write about being single in your 30s. After reading some of those comments, I could think of 50 women who could hear that message off the top of my head. So, just a thought for your next book should God place that on your heart!

21. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 11:35 AM  |  reply

Can guys comment on this blog? Ha! I’m so honored to be partnered with you on this project, Annie. You were so faithful with the message that God put on your heart–so much that you paid to have it published the first time around–and now God is blessing you for it, and I know he is going to continue to make a huge difference in the lives of readers and for his kingdom!

22. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 11:56 AM  |  reply

A-mazing! I’d love to hear the story of how you landed your first big book deal! Do you have a literary agent too? Please share the words of wisdom for a writer who need to hear it (me)! ๐Ÿ™‚

23. Emily
    posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 2:11 PM  |  reply

LOVE the cover & the title! So exciting! Can’t wait to see what God has in store …

24. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 3:10 PM  |  reply

I am BEYOND excited for you – congrats

And that cover is GORGEOUS.

I am 99% done deciding on a cover for my book so I know gorgeousness when I see it ๐Ÿ™‚

25. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 3:52 PM  |  reply

Love the cover! I love purple and Chucks! I have not read your book yet, it is on my amazon wishlist, perhaps now would be a good time to buy it!

I am so excited for you! I would probably be jumping up and down screaming with you! I didn’t get a chance to comment yesterday, but I thought your video was so cute!

Love it!!!

26. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:07 PM  |  reply

I love the cover!

27. Kelley
    posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:09 PM  |  reply

Sooo exited for you!!!

28. Jo
    posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 8:11 PM  |  reply

Congrats girl. I knew you’d be doing something BIG!! =) Can’t wait to see this new book. Loving what I see so far!!

29. posted on Mar 08, 2012 at 9:15 PM  |  reply

This is so exciting, Annie! Congrats!

30. posted on Mar 09, 2012 at 7:38 AM  |  reply

I LOVED head to foot and was going to start it with a group of high schoolers this summer….but if you say Perfectly Unique is even better, I do believe I’ll wait for that. So excited, Annie!!

31. Richard Robertson
    posted on Mar 09, 2012 at 9:23 AM  |  reply

Just heard the news. Very happy for you and glad we could play a small part in this. I knew you had something special when we first started the project.

P.S. My daughter loved the first book so we will be in line for this one as well.

32. posted on Mar 09, 2012 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

Hi there Annie, I have only been reading your blog for a few months.It was your experiences in Scotland hooked me in!:)
    I love the cover of your new book and I am so pleased for you. I was wondering, will your new book have questions to use with groups etc.?
    Congrats again! Sara (Scotland)

33. lil_lyndie
    posted on Mar 09, 2012 at 9:48 PM  |  reply

It’s funny…when I read this I panicked because I had not gotten to read your first story and I want to read the second one, but I’m one of those people that LOVES to the know “before” so that I can better understand the “after” so I bought it. Yay Amazon and yay for you Annie

34. Kelli
    posted on Mar 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM  |  reply

I am so, so, so excited for you! B told me the news (he saw the announcement first) the other day and we are just thrilled! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

35. posted on Mar 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM  |  reply

This book, and you, deserve the boost that Zondervan can give. I loved reading your book and gave it away to at least 2 or 3 girls and look forward to doing the same with Perfectly Unique.

Yeah, Annie!

36. posted on Mar 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM  |  reply

I love the book cover and cannot wait to read it..

37. posted on Mar 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM  |  reply

Love your site

38. Kristinia
    posted on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM  |  reply

Just ordered from Head to Foot from amazon!! Excited for that but even more excited for your new adventure with Zondervan!!

39. posted on Mar 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM  |  reply

Hi Annie,
    I found your blog and can’t stop reading! You are hilarious and so encouraging…I just ordered Head to Foot because I read the comments. I couldn’t wait for the “redo” but I’ll probably buy that one too if your blog is any indication. I teach in a Christian school…but have felt stirrings about working with youth in a different way..not sure what God is doing. Just lovin’ your blog….God bless you!

40. posted on Mar 14, 2012 at 2:21 AM  |  reply

Converse Chucks? Uniquely PERFECT!! The cover alone will get people to pick it up and take a look; you’ll make sure they stick to the end.

I love the step you took years ago to self publish (seems like yesterday); giving yourself whole-heartedly to something you were passionate about and then getting about the doing of it? Well, sweet friend, that’s what got you here!

Can’t wait to see the real thang :).

xo

41. posted on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM  |  reply

Purple converse?! Win!

42. posted on Jan 03, 2013 at 6:21 PM  |  reply

[…] jeg gรฅtt tilbake igjen til den boken jeg begynte pรฅ innimellom “Perfectly Unique” av Annie F. Downs. Dette er vel mer i kategorien biografi pรฅ en mรฅte, eller en slags faktabok, faktisk klarer jeg […]

43. Andrea
    posted on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

I have a teenage daughter really struggling with self image. Is one of your books better for her to read? What are the differences between Head to Foot and Perfectly Unique? Thanks!

44. posted on Nov 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM  |  reply

Hi! well I’m a 17 year old girl, and lately i have been struggling a lot with self image, especially my weight! i have been extremely hesitant to tell anyone about my binge eating problem. I have asked God about it, and it kinda feels like i am just talking to a wall all the time. I have gone on crash diets and my mom does not understand me at all. I have read some parts of your book, like the stomach chapter, there are some amazing verses in there! and the way you put your words together is absolutely amazing! the way you write is literally the way i talk. I’m a weirdo! haha, i just adore reading this book ( even though i have only read like 2 chapters, i have skipped around) but yeah, your book is amazing so far, i really hope it can help me with some of the things i am going through! ๐Ÿ™‚ and the cover is like, absolutely fantastical in its awesomeness! haha, converse are my favorite kind of shoe, and the color is amazing! so i give you some props on that cover! Makes me happy all up in here! ๐Ÿ™‚