I don’t have a job. [A homage to Mocha Club]

on May 10, 2012 in Dreams Coming True, Mocha Club, Perfectly Unique with 15 comments by

Ok, well, that’s not totally true. I mean, I work. I just don’t have what the world would call “a real job” anymore. [But welcome to Nashville where most of us don’t. I like it.]

Since August of 2008, Mocha Club has been a weekly part of my life. I started as a volunteer for a few months and then I got a tiny part time job there, calling members, for five hours a week. Five turned to ten turned to twenty and a year had passed before I knew it.

I love Mocha Club. I love what they are doing in Africa. I love the integrity of the people who work there. I love the innovative ways they are raising money and making a difference overseas.

In May 2010, I started a real part time job at Mocha Club as their Social Media and Communications Director. It was a much needed role but the boss Barrett and I kinda made up my job as we went. We would figure out new cool things to do using social media and then boom, that was my job.

It was fun. Really fun.

Meanwhile, for another 40ish hours a week, I was writing and blogging and speaking and etc. So it wasn’t like I was laying by the pool most of the week and only working 24 hours a week.

[Well, I do like to lay by the pool in the summer. But, I mean, I write a lot too.]

When I moved to Scotland last fall, I kept my part time job and spent some hours every day online working and skyping with America. Namely, with the Mocha Club staff.

. . . . .

I came home from Scotland and didn’t know that Zondervan was on the horizon. But when that opportunity arose, and some other things started to shift in the atmosphere, Barrett and I realized that it was time for me to move along, little dawgie.

It was the perfect storm of what I needed + what Mocha Club needed + what I wanted + what I was too scared to do + Barrett pushing me out of the nest and making me fly.

So as of April 1, I am a Mocha Club artist, but not a staff member.

. . . . .

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN, ANNIE??

Let’s do this in a list form.

1. When someone says “What do you do?” my answer is now “I am an author and a speaker.”

2. I work from home every day.

3. The blog and anniedowns.com are getting a major makeover that you will see really soon. Then when new people come along and say, “wow, this place is really pretty and fancy” you can say “she might have been born just plain white trash, but Fancy was her name” because you’ll have been here when this place wasn’t so fancy and you know how much I love Reba.

4. I need your help to make this full-time career work. I need you to tell your friends about my books when they come out, I need you to come hear me when I speak and bring your friends along, I need you to get me a speaking gig in your town, I need you to pray for me, and I need you to hug me when I get super scared that I am not going to make it full-time in this thing.

[Because I do get scared. Really scared. But God is orchestrating all of this, so I throw the scared away and only hang onto the thread of faith. I tie a knot when I get to the end of my faith rope and I hang on.]

5. You know what it really means? It means we’re really doing this thang, y’all. And after four years of trying, I’m pretty giggly that it is finally happening.

. . . . .

Your questions / comments / etc about this new season of my full-time career are totally welcome. I just like keeping y’all up to date on what’s happening on this side of the screen.

1. posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:13 AM  |  reply

I’m looking forward to all the oppertunities that God is going to bring your way!
    If you’re ever in NWArkansas let me know I’ll bring a group!!

2. posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:16 AM  |  reply

This might be slightly off topic, but I’m curious about the blog overhaul 🙂 … who are you contacting? I’ve been thinking about doing it too, but am not sure how to go about it.

3. posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM  |  reply

I first heard of you at the (in)RL Event at Cross Point and started following your blog then. I guess that was only a couple of weeks ago now. I bought your book, and it arrived last night! I’m looking forward to reading it (even though I might not quite be the audience you wrote it for since I am in my mid-30’s…I’m still a kid at heart!)

I hope to meet you officially some day. I don’t know many people at Cross Point yet, but if you’re ever planning to attend a service at the Main Campus let me know, and maybe we can share a pew or have coffee together 🙂

4. Kristin
    posted on May 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM  |  reply

I have just recently started following your blog and I LOVE it! I share your love of Nashville and I so appreciate the fact that I see your joy and passion come through on posts. I’m hoping that I get to hear you speak in the very near future. I wish you all the best on this new season and you will be in my prayers. You go girl!

5. posted on May 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM  |  reply

Congrats, Annie! I’m excited for you! I know you have worked hard for this. Can’t wait to see all that God does in and through you in this next adventure!

6. posted on May 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM  |  reply

Congratulations! So proud of you… I can relate to the years of aching and working and praying and being scared even when it seems like it’s finally happening. 🙂

You are awesome, and if you’re ever out here on the West Coast, I expect a hug. 🙂

7. posted on May 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM  |  reply

Wow! This is so exciting, Annie! I’ll do whatever I can to support you. Even if it’s just taking space as #4thchair and telling you it’s all going to be OK.

8. posted on May 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM  |  reply

Congrats on all the wonderful things that are happening in your life, Annie!

And don’t worry because these events are God-orchestrated, they will leave you not only stronger but blissfully elated! 🙂

9. posted on May 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM  |  reply

This is thrillingly exciting! Best of luck to you in you endeavors!

10. posted on May 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM  |  reply

So happy for you, Annie! Can’t wait to see what this next chapter holds!!

11. posted on May 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM  |  reply

Yay!! This is so exciting, Annie. Prayers for you and yours.

R

12. Kim
    posted on May 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM  |  reply

Yay!!! I’m so happy for you! I have been reading your blog for like 2 years now and think of how inspiring you are all the time and here you just up and did something even more inspiring! I’m looking forward to the book!

13. posted on May 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM  |  reply

The truth is that you are really paying for
    any single service rendered to you in this policy.
    The Australian government is keen on going after individuals to handle private health insurances of their country.
    The MIB is a central database of medical information shared
    by major insurance companies.

14. posted on Sep 12, 2013 at 4:16 AM  |  reply

To find the beest refinancing deals, it would bbe best for you to compare the most competitive cost being charged by these lenders.

AFLAC is probably the best known indemnification insurance company.
    Most coverage gives out a specific payment foor the time of hospitalization and the
    amount of the premium iss usually only a few dollars a month.

15. posted on Sep 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM  |  reply

The lending instituution will check your qualifications and will assess your income, youjr credit score,
    and your equity. Don’t leave anything to chance get
    yourself protected appropriately now. If you know how to carry out this although you can get the very best possible offer rapidly
    and easily.