Ready to go back home. #ScotlandStuff

on June 11, 2012 in Scotland with 30 comments by

contentedly smiling in Scotland

Last week, I was scheduling an interview for when Perfectly Unique comes out in September. I said, “well, I’m going to be out of the country for two weeks in July, so it will have to be after that.”

The man said, “Oh really? Where are you going?”

Without thinking first, I responded, “I’m going on a mission trip to Scotland. I want to go home for a little bit before the book comes out.”

And then I stopped in my tracks.

Home.

Scotland is that. It is my home. Not more than Nashville, but my home nonetheless.

It feels funny to go on a mission trip to your home. But I am. And oh, my heart is already there. I’m fairly certain it never returned back to the States with me, so it’ll be good to be reunited for a time.

The mission trip is to help lead a Christian summer camp for high school students in Scotland. [I’ve been a few times… including last year. You remember Lois, right?] It is a beautiful week of fun and crazy games, topical Biblical teaching, worship, and lots of delicious British food.

And I’ll see my family. [Fine, Scotland has my heart, is my home, and people who feel like my family live there.]

I get to teach a class each morning of camp on what faith really looks like in the real world. I am seeking and praying and asking God how to properly teach that well to students in a different culture. Also, I’m considering using the Real World script. [This is the true story… of seven strangers… picked to live in a house…work together and have their lives taped… to find out what happens… when people stop being polite… and start getting real…The Real World.] [It is NOT weird to know that by heart.]

I cannot wait for camp. I really can’t.

Then when the mission trip ends, I head to Edinburgh for a few days to see my friends [and can I say “family” again here? Because I’d like to. thanks].

[And for anybody keeping score, I’m sitting in a coffee house crying like a baby. Really. Dripping tears. Apparently I think I can emote wherever I go. Scotland, you always do this to me.]

My trip already feels too short. I can feel the panic in my bones that I won’t get enough times or talks or hugs or moments. But I’m choosing to be still and know God knows and enjoy every waking moment with my people. [I’m not planning on sleeping- what a waste of time with friends.]

. . . . .

The mission trip cost is approximately $1500- that includes my flight, food, and lodging for the week of camp. Would you be willing to partner with me, even just $10?

If 150 people gave $10, doneski.

I love asking you to support my mission trips and here is why: God gives us each different opportunities at different times. Some day, you’ll be the one going and I’ll be the one with the opportunity to support. This time, I am going on a mission trip and it is your chance, if you wanna, to help make a way for me to minister to these students in a country that is forever sewn into the fabric of me.

Pray about it. And if you feel like God gives you the go-ahead to contribute, HERE’S THE LINK TO GIVE. Then you’ll login, follow directions, and go to “SCOTLAND-PINTO” and put “ANNIE DOWNS” in the memo box that pops up.

If you have any questions, just email me, yo. [annieblogs (at) gmail (dot) com]

AGAIN, this $1500 only pays for travel to Scotland and camp. My time in Edinburgh will not be funded by this.

Please pray with me that the funds to cover the trip expenses will be provided. Pray that I will minister effectively to the teens there. Pray that God would make permanent and beautiful marks on the hearts of each person at camp.

And pray that I get back on the plane to come America. Because if I want to do that, it will be a miracle.

I’m going home, y’all.

. . . . .

Fancy important stuff: Gifts to the church, with an expression of preference for the portion of the ministry expenses that I am trying to raise for the church, are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.

1. Laura
    posted on Jun 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM  |  reply

this post makes me all giggly and happy because I’m SO EXCITED that i get to spend this time with you. I agree, sleeping is overrated and a waste of time. Praying and sending love to you 🙂

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

Samesies, Ciarletta. Samesies.

2. posted on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM  |  reply

Since I’ve just returned from one of the countries that I call home and where I have “family,” I am glad that you are able to return to Scotland for a bit. Enjoy!

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

Thank you. 🙂

3. Meagan
    posted on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM  |  reply

I know several girls who will be good motivation to get on the plane and come back… Because I’m one of them and your small group will be devastated if you don’t! Be safe and have a good trip home, Annie! I’ll certainly be donating and most importantly PRAYING for your trip! Love you.

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

You’re the greatest. Love you.

4. April
    posted on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM  |  reply

EEEEEEEK! Annie I am so stinkin’ excited for you! Your Scotland – My Brazil, and I hate the whole being here but wanting to be there or being there and loving Nashville thing, totally get it. You got my $10, yo! 1 down 149 to go :DD LOVE YOU! Praying for you already!

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

Except I haven’t tattooed Scotland onto my shoulder blade… yet. 🙂

Love you, friend. Glad for our times together this summer.

5. posted on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM  |  reply

And I’m singing Daughtry’s song in my head now. I’m so happy that you get to go again…and soon!

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

HA!

6. Amy W
    posted on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM  |  reply

How exciting! 😀

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

I. Can’t. Wait. Just wish I was there for the Fringe Festival!

7. posted on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM  |  reply

My heart’s in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
    My heart’s in the Highlands a-chasing the deer;
    A-chasing the wild-deer, and following the roe,
    My heart’s in the Highlands wherever I go.
    ROBERT BURNS

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

Yes yes yes.

8. Merideth
    posted on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM  |  reply

Love that you get to go back. I wish I was going with you! Can you try to fit me in your luggage? I’m small. I don’t take up much space. Anyway, I’ll for sure be praying, and hopefully contributing financially. Love ya.

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

I can’t wait. Thank you.

9. posted on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

You know I have heard it said that “missionaries are never more happy than when they are on the plane.” This is because they are excited about “going home” no matter which home they are going to :).

I feel that way right now as I prepare for furlough. I leave my Kenya “home” on Thursday for Nairobi and then board the plane on Sunday night for “home.” I’m grieving leaving my “family & friends” here but excited to see my “family & friends” there. I get you completely! My prayers are with you in good goings and leavings and goings and leavings!

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

It is the strangest thing, isn’t it? I often have to remind myself, “in eternity, distance won’t matter.” Keeps me from feeling insane missing my friends and family on the other side of the ocean.

10. posted on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM  |  reply

so excited for you and jealous that you get to go home! =)

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM  |  reply

Thanks, friend.

11. posted on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM  |  reply

As the “Pinto” in “Scotland-Pinto,” please help Annie get to Scotland because we are sorta counting on her to share in the mornings at camp.

If you want to follow us, you can do that here: http://scotlandteam2012.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM  |  reply

Ha. Yes. That.

12. Emily
    posted on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM  |  reply

Done! BTW, I’m missing your Bachelorette recaps. I am LOVING Emily for a variety of reasons! 🙂

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM  |  reply

Good word, Emily. First thing next week. We need to talk about this season. So many nuances. A real pleasure… about a bazillion times better than Ben.

13. rach
    posted on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM  |  reply

So pleased for you Annie!
    I’ve done the same thing and returned to California for a couple of weeks, also attempting to find the large chunks of my heart that I left here.
    Would be lovely to see you if you have time when you’re in Edinburgh 🙂

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM  |  reply

LOVE that you are there!!!!

Hope we at least cross paths in EDI!

14. posted on Jun 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM  |  reply

As a scottish person, sitting reading this looking out my window and the most beautiful sunset, I totally understand why you would want to come back! It’s also really sweet to hear someone for another country say how much they love mine – heading over to donate now! 🙂

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM  |  reply

Thank you, Sara! 🙂

15. Amy
    posted on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM  |  reply

So happy to be able to contribute towards your time at camp in Scotland!! I have been “home” from England for 2 months now, and I miss my people there so much. So excited for you!!

posted on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Amy. Means so much.