TOP 5 FRIDAY: Road Trippin’ Snackalackin’

on June 15, 2012 in That's delish., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 19 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

[You guys. What is that title all about? I’m a freak.]

Thanks to the blue circle and my friends getting married in random cities and Father’s Day and things of that nature, I have not been in Nashville since Tuesday morning.

I’ve been in Birmingham. Huntsville. Marietta. Knoxville.

But not Nashville. And not for a few more days even.

My Toyota Camry, bless her 180,000 mile heart, has been nothing short of a champ. I like her. I think I’ll keep her for another 180,000+. You can do it, Camry, I believe in you.

But when one is driving that many miles alone, there are some key components necessary:

• a phone charger
  • a GPS system of some sort [I am, in the most severe sense, directionally challenged.]
  • podcasts galore
  • snacks

So these are my top 5 favorite roadtrip snacks. No, I do not consume them all at one time and even if I did, I am not saying I did or have or would, I would need you to love me anyways, okay?

And some of these are my own pictures because I believe there is power in honesty.

Ahem. The list.

. . . . .

1. Coke Icee

Well, if you’ve ever known me ever, you know that I have a certain weakness for Coke Icees. It’s a strange thing, especially since I do not drink sodas, but in the summer, I can hardly resist these treats. Unfortunately for me, fortunately for the economy, Coke Icees are easier than ever to find on the road thanks to Burger King.

2. M&Ms

They are my candy of choice. Plain, please. And if you can resist getting a King Size bag [but who am I to judge] then you have a handy little snack that won’t ruin your life or your waistline. All things in moderation, people. And if you try to tell that you take veggies… well, wait. I actually used to nanny a family who carried heads of cauliflower on road trips, so it is possible.

3. Grande No Water Soy Chai Latte

Just if you ever find yourself in need to order a drink for me at Starbucks, those are the magic words. And here’s the road trip trick: ask for a plastic stopper to put in the sippy hole. [fancy science words, y’all] By putting the stopper in, your drink doesn’t get cold therefore you don’t feel the massive pressure to drink it quickly therefore you haven’t consumed $4 worth of drink in 12 minutes.

4. Trail Mix

Because people need protein. I’m not a huge raisin fan, but I get that they are a good idea to have in your life, so trail mix is another way to sneak those past my refined palate. Sure, my trail mix is laced with a bit o chocolate, but surely you aren’t going to start judging now, are you? Because if so, you are totally going to want to skip #5.

5. Cracker and Cheese Combos

Some thoughts. Now, this is a “road trip only” snack for me because, let’s be honest- there is hardly a thing in this snack that the good Lord created. It’s mainly processed and chemicaled [not a word] and formed into a crunchy and creamy salty snack. They are just little and delicious and I always feel a tiny twinge of self-disappointment when I enjoy them. But alas, I still enjoy them.

. . . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What snacks do you take with you on a road trip?

Sub-question: Where are you road-tripping this summer?

1. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

Oh my heavens, frozen Cokes are my FAV SUMMER TREAT TOO! {Sorry for yelling… too much excitement.} I won’t even go into how many times I’ve succumbed to my craving only to have the sweet BK employee say through the drive-up speaker, “Oh, I’m sorry, our machine is on defrost.” Defrost?? First of all, why is it de-frosting when I prefer my frozen cokes full-frost? And secondly, this is NOT having it my way, oh king of the burger, NOT having it my way.

Sorry. That’s kind of a hot topic for me. {Seriously, it’s gotten quite comical how many times I’ve been denied that sweet treat due to defrosting.}

Anyway.

My go-to road trip snack is definitely Twizzlers. Easy, no mess, tasty, fat free! {Unless you eat a whole 4lb bag. I’m ashamaed that I even know they make 4lb bags, let alone may have eaten an entire thing.}

2. Merideth
    posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

I have never had a frozen coke. I know you probably think that is a crime, but what can I say. My fave soda is mountain dew, though.
    I’ve gone on many a road trips since I moved to the south. Often times back north to see family or some other thing. I already took a road trip to Mass. a couple of months ago, and not sure if I’m taking any other ones. Especially since the country still won’t let me have a license. Makes it hard to drive anywhere. Fave snacks on those trips….1. something chocolate; doesn’t have to be anything specific. Just need a chocolate fix. 2. pita chips, or sun chips, or some kind of chip; If you have sweet, ya gotta have salty too. 3. I usually try to include something healthy like fruit or vegies, which family puts in the cooler we always have in the car. I’m bad about eating the healthy stuff, though, when there is junk food around instead. Not sure what else. It varies trip to trip. OH,and I hear ya on the combos. Only I like the pizza flavored ones the best.
    Hey, what do you put in your trail mix? I’m looking for a good blend to try.

3. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM  |  reply

Hmm.My favorite road trip snack- probably sunchips and/or popcorn. I can’t have chocolate so that leaves those out! I also tend to drink a lot of water with the occasional diet dew when I travel.

Road trips- back up to the fam in Indiana and Ohio in a week or so, a trip to Murfreesboro in July for a conference and I am thinking that’s it (already had 2 this summer). I would have loved to have met you when you came to knoxville 🙂

4. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM  |  reply

A snack mix made up of almonds, M&Ms and pretzels is my normal snack for traveling. But if I’m tired, anything cinnamon flavored is great for keeping me awake.

5. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM  |  reply

ICEE COKES ARE THE BEST.
    Yet another reason why I like you.

6. Patricia
    posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM  |  reply

1.) Coffee!
    2.) Food to absorb the coffee (or I wouldn’t be able to drive too long without having to stop)
    3.) The right kind of cereal makes a great snack–crunchy, healthy, reasonably cheap. Whole Foods has a store brand cinnamon-flavored cereal I like for car trips (just can’t remember the name!).
    4) Low-maintenance fruit (bananas, grapes–nothing too messy)
    5) At some point: Junk food! What kind depends. 🙂

7. cbed
    posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM  |  reply

Chick-o-stick

8. Lauren
    posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM  |  reply

Fishies (gold fish crackers) and Yoohoo. I think deep down I’m still 8 yrs old…..

9. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM  |  reply

Peanut butter M&M’s, Twizzlers, mini Rolo’s (in the bag that are already unwrapped). And then because of all those darn calories — diet coke or diet Mountain Dew. I try to even it out:)

10. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM  |  reply

Cheez-its, almonds, granola bars, pretzels, and Brach’s Autumn mix candy corn if it’s in season.

I only drink water- and sparingly, at that- when I’m on a road trips. Gots to stay hydrated and minimize the time stopping at shady gas station bathrooms.

This summer I’m driving home to the Chicago suburbs twice and visiting friends in Birmingham.

11. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM  |  reply

1) Chex Mix – But it has to be Bold.

2) Fruit Snacks – preferably in the shape of some sort of cartoon

3) Cherry Coke – delicious, caffeinated, ie: the perfect beverage.

4) Veggies – I’m not a monster, we like to bring ranch to dip it in.

And for number 5 – more fruit snacks please.

12. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM  |  reply

Cheez-its. Gourmet, right there.

13. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM  |  reply

I like…
    Hot drink: Coffee (even in summer!)
    Cold drink: Water (always)
    Crunchy & carby*: Honey wheat pretzels (generic kind from the Walmart chips aisle)
    Crunchy & cold: Baby carrots
    Crunchy protein: Almonds w/ sea salt
    Sweet: Doughnut holes from QT or blueberry scone from my local bakery.

Man, that reminds me I need to shop for my road trip next week!

*”Carby,” aka “loaded with carbohydrates” may not have been a real word when I started typing this, but it is now!

14. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM  |  reply

1.Diet Mountain Dew
    2.Pizza pretzel combos
    3.Chewy sweet tarts
    4.White cheddar popcorn
    5.Plain M&M’s

15. Amy
    posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM  |  reply

Peanut M&Ms and Pretzel Cheese Combos. Drinks-Sonic diet coke(if available) or Starbucks latte or frappucino, depending on the weather. Road trips planned are Texas to Tennessee, and then from Tennessee to North Carolina. 🙂

16. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM  |  reply

I’m very specific about my road trip snacks…

First, totally with you on the Combos. Love. I get the pretzel kind, usually.

Road trips are the only time I eat French Burnt Peanuts. They’re kind of hard to find — but SO good. They are peanuts covered in some red crunchy, lumpy coating that I’m quite sure is 99% chemicaled (I totally think we should make that a word). They turn your mouth red, so you know they are just full of nutrition.

I also love to nosh on Sour Cherries for a long drive — little chewy candies that taste like…well, sour cherries! Yum.

And Cream Soda. (Don’t judge).

I think my blood sugar just spiked from typing this comment. Sheesh.

17. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM  |  reply

Um, I will totally second you on the coke icees! But I love a good Snickers (even ice cream!), peanut M&Ms, Mr. Goodbar. I love the sweet/salty combo, obviously.

18. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM  |  reply

Oooh timely post! I need some inspiration for my upcoming road trip!
    At home I would go:
    Frozen Raspberry fanta
    Clinkers
    Musk sticks
    Sour cream & onion pringles
    BBQ Shapes
    (& tons of water)

19. posted on Jun 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM  |  reply

Oh, that reminds me of going on road trips growing up. My mom would make her own “trail mix” of M&M’s, raisins, and peanuts–Yum! I also like Combos (cheese or pizza, please). And remember good ol’ CornNuts? I liked the original, barbecue, or nacho cheese flavors. A gummy candy of some kind is always good–gummy worms or gummy bears. Someone mentioned Chewy Sweet Tarts–LOVE those, too! For a beverage I like to get Arizona iced tea (raspberry is my fave) or a SoBe.