TOP 5 FRIDAY: Books for dudes.

on June 29, 2012 in Dude Stuff, I heart books., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 7 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

You know, I’m learning as I go with this college dudes in my life thing. Trust me, I adore them to tiny pieces, but the boundaries for this type of ministry are high and thick and uber-important. But there is something as sweet as the day is long about having a crowd of little bros in town.

There is one thing I can do for my dudes that is always appropriate: buy them food and buy them books.

So we go, as a group, to eat burritos and talk about God stuff and baseball stuff and girl stuff and life stuff and book stuff. I love to snag books off of Amazon for them just because gifts are one of my love languages I guess, or something like that. My grandparents owned a bookstore, so maybe it’s just keeping the family business alive?

Also, I heart books. So. That plays into it as well I am sure.

But I don’t always know what kind of books guys like because I am, in fact, not a guy. So I ask around and I’ve made a little list of books that my guy friends like / a list of books I’m gonna force my college pals to read.

[Not really force. Just insist upon. That’s different, right?]

Here are the top 5 books that my guy friends are reading and recommending to other fellas:

1. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller … reminding us that we are living a story that has purpose.

2. Jesus Calling by Sarah Young … quick daily devotions that zing your heart.

3. Love Does by Bob Goff … boys like action. Bob Goff does stuff. Boomski.

4. Radical by David Platt … it is intense. But David Platt is right on.

5. Passion for Jesus by Mike Bickle … it’ll rock your life.

Wild card: Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers … the cover is feminine, to be certain. But I cannot tell you how many guys in college read this book and it changed their lives. [I have a little more cred to earn with my fellas before I try this one. 🙂]

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What books would you recommend for guys who are growing in their walk with Christ?

1. ~VA~
    posted on Jun 29, 2012 at 6:12 AM  |  reply

This isn’t a book I have read, but I would recommend Dangerous Men because it was re-written as a book for girls (Unveil) and I read Unveil and loved it. I guess I would describe it as a sort of a devotinal for groups…but single sex groups unless you’re just doing the first chapter because I feel like it could get awkward fast talking about love and dating and stuff like that in a mixed-gender-group-setting…

2. Heather Miller
    posted on Jun 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM  |  reply

I bought Love Does for my husband for Father’s Day and it’s a HUGE hit over here in our house. Thanks, Annie! My little boy is only 2, so he’s way into dump trucks and basketballs these days – those books are easy.

3. Jill Gracie
    posted on Jun 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM  |  reply

I would recommend “Every Man’s (or Young Man’s) Battle” by Stephen Arterburn. “Every Woman’s Battle” is a must read for a Christian woman (single OR married), and the male version was written first. It deals with the struggles of temptation that EVERY man faces, how normal it is to feel these feelings, and what to do about it. I really think it’s a book that every man should read. Also, Wild at Heart by John Eldridge is a winner, too!

4. Jill Gracie
    posted on Jun 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM  |  reply

Oh AND Relevant magazine is having a $5 book sale in their bookstore until the end of June. It’s worth a look there, too!

5. posted on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:40 PM  |  reply

If they are looking for a challenge…

Untamed: Alan Hirsch
    Passionate Life: Mike Breen

6. posted on Jun 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM  |  reply

I know that *I* loved “Redeeming Love!” 😛 But now that you mention it, I can see how it would transfer genders. It’s not all love-y dove-y and girly, and it really does center around the male lead more than the female lead.

7. posted on Jul 03, 2012 at 6:57 PM  |  reply

Hi Annie,
    I love your list. I have read all but the last one. I will get that for my son. He and I both read Unbroken, by Laura Hildebrand. Great book,especially for my son who runs xcountry and track in college(Nashville) Very inspirational and true. So….. I shared Redeeming Love with my daughter a few years ago, She is a recent college grad. She and a special guy friend of hers spent two days on our couch reading this book. As much as they loved it and I love Francine’s writing, it worked more against them instead of for them. For young women and men it becomes an unrealistic expectation of love. Just a thought some of us seasoned mamas have come to think. I still liked it though, but I am older.