Today I go to Scotland.

on July 12, 2012 in Scotland with 19 comments by

This is my favorite picture from Scotland last year, which is why I’ve used it twice, because it says exactly how I feel about that place, even though my hair has a major swoop sitch going on.

Here’s another sitch we have before us: My suitcase weighs 62.5 pounds.

No bueno.

And so sometime between now and takeoff, I will have to unload 12.5 pounds of something-or-other and I can promise you that whatever outfit I take out will be the EXACT outfit I wish to wear multiple times in the next two weeks.

Ahhh, tis life.

I am so.so.excited that today is here!

You will just LOVE my travel schedule…. as in, you will laugh at this. So I took the Megabus down to Atlanta from Nashville yesterday, fly today to Glasgow, stay there for a week, head over to Edinburgh for a few days, pop back to Glasgow to fly to Phoenix for my FIRST GIRLS OF GRACE LET’S PANIC ABOUT THAT LATER and then I fly back to Nashville at the end of July.

Simply put, I had to ride the bus to Atlanta because at the end of this, I fly home to Nashville. [This is an important fact in a minute… wait for it.]

I am so happy to hop on a plane today and go home to see my friends and help lead at this summer camp and watch God intercept some lives and fingers crossed, watch Him intercept mine as well.

Thanks to many of you and my friends and family, all the funds necessary for this trip came through and so God totally made a way. I don’t know how to thank y’all enough. But thank you.

Starting tomorrow, I get two weeks in 50 degree weather with 18 hours of daylight… so obviously, bless my heart, I am suffering for the Gospel.

Your prayers for safe travel, lots of rest and little jetlag, great time with friends and God and my journal, and that I will be blessed and be a blessing to those I am around.

And pray for me [not really] as I unload 200 ounces of my life into a box for my mom to ship back to Nashville from Atlanta. [See… hence the need for you to understand my travel. The heavy suitcase is in Atlanta and I must unload stuff here but I’m not coming back here so the USPS will be in charge of getting my 12.5 pounds back to Nashville.]

Hi. I’m Annie. I tend to overexplain.

Your turn – tell me a fiction book I should download on my kindle to read on the plane! Good thing about taking lots of books on the Kindle? Adds no weight to my luggage.

Amen.

1. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 6:16 AM  |  reply

You’re full of exciting plans today! For you to be going back to Scotland makes me so happy. I’m praying for you, friend.

I have a friend whose daughter is with WinShape Camps. I noticed Girls of Grace is partnering with them. Great organization.

Bummer about your suitcase. My daddy when getting ready to travel with Mama to the Philippines would weigh their suitcases 50 times before going to the airport. His biggest fear in travel is having a bag that’s too heavy. Seriously.

Have fun!

2. Merideth
    posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 6:38 AM  |  reply

No ideas on a book to suggest, but I feel ya on the packing thing. I’ve been known to over-pack for trips too. So exciting to hear about your travel plans. I’d ask you to pack me in your bag so that I can go too, but we have already established there is no room in there. Definitely praying for your trips!

3. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM  |  reply

Books – If you have not read Gilead and Home by Marilynne Robinson download them and be amazed. Perhaps the best modern fiction I have ever read.

Scotland is so beautiful! Have fun!

4. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM  |  reply

What a wonderful trip! Sang a choir tour thru Great Britian, and Edinburgh was my favorite place – I didn’t want to leave! Will pray for your travels! Hmmm, fiction – I hear “The Reading Group” by Lindsey Nobles is good, but I haven’t read it. “Velma Cooks In Leeway” by Vinita Hampton Wright is delightful, and I’ve heard “I Capture the Castle” by Dodie Smith is charming! (I’ve been reading mostly non-fiction & memoirs this summer). Love your new blog!! Safe travels!! 🙂

5. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM  |  reply

suffering for the gospel… love it! i will have to think about book suggestions. i had only five minutes to read something for myself before the littles start nipping at my heels for a fun day and i choose you to read. karen kingsbury is always a favorite for me but there are more challenging reads out there. sometimes that is all my brain can take!

6. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM  |  reply

You should not have asked for book selections . . . cuz even your kindle might weigh more after I am through!
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (it is as awesome as the title)
    Matched by Ally Condie (similar to Hunger Games, but still different, you know what I mean? Oh and book 1/3)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (One of my top 5 favorite books EVER)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (magic, romance, a circus = what more could you want?)

Ok . . . I’ll stop, since I know you plan to actually VISIT with people on this trip . . . safe travels!

7. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM  |  reply

You need to download Outlander. STAT. Especially since you’re going to Scotland, where the majority of the book takes place. Be ware, though. You will read the first and need to immediately devour the next six books (all between 800 – 1500 pages) at first chance, instead of doing things like sleeping or eating.

You’ve been warned.

8. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

Hourglass by Myra McEntire (Nashville authors unite!). It’s $1.99 on Kindle and the second of the trilogy came out last month. I think you would enjoy it thoroughly.

Also, check out the Nashville Public Library Overdrive store to check out e-books.

9. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM  |  reply

I’m not usually one for fiction (crazy, I know). I did however find Life of Pi by Yann Martel intriguing (probably because of the loads of reflection it provoked). I am a whimp though, so there were parts of the book I had to squeamishly make it through, but I still thought it was worth it. …I think you should slip your suitcase a diet pill and call it a day. …May God bless your trip in an undeniable way!

10. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM  |  reply

Oh, how exciting! I am planning to attend a Bible College in England next year, so I can imagine the anticipation 🙂

Best of luck on your packing, debacle! I’m packing one bag for a flight tomorrow morning, and I hope that I can squish it all in.

As far as book recommendations, if you like classic British novels I would highly recommend Elizabeth Gaskell’s “North and South” (just $2.25 on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/North-South-Biographical-Introduction-ebook/dp/B000FC20RE/ref=tmm_kin_title_0). Then you *have* to watch the BBC miniseries, if you haven’t already.

I hope that you have an absolutely amazing time and glorify God in everything you do!

-Abigail

11. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM  |  reply

If you haven’t read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, I highly recommend them. They are intense, though.

I’m currently reading The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy, and also would highly recommend it (so far).

12. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM  |  reply

yay!!!

say hello to forres for my family, would you??

i thought about you the other day when visiting my parents and mom made millionaire shortbread. 🙂

my favorite books to read are “gone with the wind” -margaret mitchell and “scarlett” -alexandra ripley. i have read them multiple times, but they never get old.

safe travels and Godspeed!

13. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM  |  reply

Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah – amazing!! My favorite fiction book! While My Sister Sleeps by Baraba Delinksy is also a good read.
    As one said early – the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is good -BUT beware of the langauge – its rough! – and there are several hard scenes of abuse. But a great story!

14. Lisa
    posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM  |  reply

Just finished “The Edge of Recall” by Kristen Heitzmann – I read it in one day! Praying you have a blessed trip!

15. posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM  |  reply

northanger abbey or persuasion. two of the lesser known novels by Jane Austen: and my two favorite. =)

16. Lauren M
    posted on Jul 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM  |  reply

1. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
    2. Alice I have Been by Melanie Benjamin. This is a book I desperately wanted to talk about with someone, so I had my sister read it! Ha!

17. Louise
    posted on Jul 14, 2012 at 5:23 AM  |  reply

Have fun! I’ve only been as far as the Scottish borders, despite living in Newcastle for 3 years. Unfortunately summer has not yet arrived here and the weather is rubbish. Hopefully it’ll be get better in time for the Olympics!

18. posted on Jul 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM  |  reply

Ann Patchett..she’s amazing…download Bel Canto or A State of Wonder…gorgeous and satisfying prose, excellent storylines and deep characters. Wish she had more fiction written!

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is a good one and most anything by Francine Rivers or Ted Dekker (earlier stuff) is worthwhile.

enjoy Scotland!

19. posted on Jul 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM  |  reply

yay! i’m so excited for you. hope scotland is amazing. also love the new space. 🙂