I hate bell peppers.

on August 2, 2012 in That's delish. with 107 comments by

There really isn’t enough arguing and opposing opinions going on right now, so my friend Allison and I thought we would add our own disagreement to the internet today.

Here’s what.

I hate bell peppers.

There are lots of veggies that I can stomach for the sake of health and a few that I even like, but probably the only one that I absolutely avoid and sometimes am tempted to call an “allergy” [flat out lie] so I don’t have to eat them is bell peppers.

“But Annie, what about green ones? They are super yummy! Or red? Or yes, those beautiful yellow….”

Listen. They aren’t. I don’t like them chopped up in my chili and I don’t like them stuffed with delicious stuffing. I don’t like them in quesadilla or, heaven forbid, on a veggie tray. Just having them sitting along side a beautiful carrot or a tasty cauliflower bunch can ruin my day.

I think bell peppers are the bossiest and most overbearing vegetable. You know, if you order a pizza and it has mushrooms on it and you don’t like mushrooms, no biggie. You can pick them off.ย But if you order ANYTHING and there are bell peppers involved, that sickly sweet pepper taste invades every other food item. Bossy. Bossy. Bossy. Overbearing.

[My roomie has two sliced in the drawer of our fridge and NONE of my stuff is in that drawer… just to be safe.]

I try to be a fairly easy dinner guest and I am absolutely not a picky eater, but I have such a strong aversion to peppers that the smell of them even makes me shiver with dislike. Mama always taught me to eat what someone offers and for the most part, I can do it. But if I show up somewhere and the meal of choice is peppers stuffed with peppers with a side of grilled peppers, blech. [I’m not kidding y’all, just writing about this keeps making me say “gross” outloud and shaking my head in disgust.]

My emotions may not always be right, but at least they are strong. That counts for something, right?

Oh, okay.

So I’m asking you nicely, please don’t contaminate my life with peppers of any shade. Please don’t be offended if your pepper delicacy never crosses my lips. I’m a nice girl and I’m pretty easy to get along with, but me and peppers? No way no how.

Amen.

. . . . .

Does anyone else hate peppers? Or is there another food item that you absolutely cannot stand?ย Tell me about it in the comments!

If you totally love peppers, like you put peppers in your breakfast scramble [gross] and on your salads at lunch and sauteed for dinner [I’m gagging], then pop over to Allison’s blog and leave a pro-pepper comment. We’re curious to see, between our two blogs, whether peppers are loved or hated.

1. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

I’m not vehemently opposed to peppers, but they are not my first choice ever. The overused veggie for me is the cauliflower. Just seeing you put it in the post up there conjured up my gag reflexes and started smelling them (they smell like odorous feet or the inside of Taco Bell, you choose).

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:09 AM  |  reply

Thanks for understanding, Sara. And I apologize for mentioning cauliflower… I didn’t know your issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

this is how I feel about pineapple…

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

I respect your dislike, but I don’t agree with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 8:39 AM  |  reply

[…] pepper lovers or haters.ย  Please vote!ย  Pepper lovers, comment here, pepper haters head over to Annie’s blog and see if you agree.ย  And remember, a vote for peppers is a vote for […]

4. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 8:43 AM  |  reply

Me too! Bell Peppers are gross! And totally overbearing! They flavor ANYTHING they touch! I’m so glad you understand ๐Ÿ™‚

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

Emily. Thank you.

• J. Lane
      posted on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM  |  reply

I hate them. Bell Peppers take over the flavor of everything they touch. And I can taste them for hours.
      Yet I like hot peppers and red pepper flakes. What’s that about?

• Laura
        posted on Feb 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

I hate them too, cooked or raw, any color. Even the smell of them makes me feel sick and makes my head ache.

I don’t mind food cooked with hot peppers in small amounts.

• Lindsay
      posted on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM  |  reply

Bell peppers are just slimy and awful like worms and the scent upsets my stomach. The flavor doesn’t seem to get on other vegetables even in these mixed-veggie steam bags, but said bags are a waste of money because like 75% of them are gross slimy peppers and slimy carrots and some impudent slimy thing that pretends to be a water chestnut but is likely some kind of squash, with only a few good broccoli/green beans/yellow beans so by the time I’ve eaten what I like and put the rest back it’s pretty much still 3/4 full :'( Which makes me feel guilty but I’d rather feel guilty than become physically sick.

5. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 8:45 AM  |  reply

AMEN SISTA. I came over here from Allison’s blog just because I was so disgusted with her love for peppers.

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

Thank you, Karen. Thank you.

6. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 9:20 AM  |  reply

I love bell peppers. But what I hate is everywhere. In everything.

Celery.

Blech. The strings. Smell. Sound. Taste. All of it. Raw. Cooked. Evil. It makes me angry. Not grossed out, but angry.

Bring it to my house? I will send you to the dumpster. Put it in my soup? I’ll order something else. My mom has been known to chop it up really tiny in soup to see if I can tell. I always can.

Angry.

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:11 AM  |  reply

When people try to sneak peppers by me in a similar fashion, I
      a) always know and
      b) hold it against them forever.

7. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

I hate green bell peppers but I like red & yellow bell peppers. Mostly only raw. I am particular about my peppers.

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:11 AM  |  reply

How are they different? Do they have a different taste?

• posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:27 AM  |  reply

Yep! Red & yellow are sweeter. Yellow is the sweetest and definitely the one I prefer most. I don’t really like any of them cooked, I think it’s the texture + that weird taste that permeates through everything else.

8. Ina
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 9:47 AM  |  reply

I agree with your stand against green bell peppers – bleh! Ugh. Your labeling them “bossy” is perfect. Even if picked out of a food, the flavor remains.
    However, I have found that I like red and yellow (or even orange) peppers. The taste really doesn’t seem to be the same as the icky green ones to me. So, I substitute them whenever I can.

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:12 AM  |  reply

So so bossy. Even in frozen food, if you pick them out while still frozen, they leave their stench.

• J. Lane
      posted on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM  |  reply

Bossy is the perfect way to describe bell peppers!
      Loud and pushy is another.
      I am always so sad when a restaurant sneaks them into perfectly good salsa or other dishes where you can’t pick them out. There are some restaurants that I know the minute I walk in and smell them….I can’t eat there.

9. gmh
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:03 AM  |  reply

I have an aversion to all peppers, not just the bell variety.

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:13 AM  |  reply

Mmm hmm. Me too.

10. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:06 AM  |  reply

I used to hate them as much as you do. Honestly. Guess what? I love them now. Same with tomatoes. Sometimes you have to wait on your taste buds to mature. Ha! That’s what my mama used to tell me anyway.

• Annie
      posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:17 AM  |  reply

I do need to mature. That’s for sure. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. caren
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:23 AM  |  reply

I also have a strong hatred for peppers. They ARE overbearing and EVERYTHING ends up tasting like them. No wonder we are friends! Anytime anyone asks me over for dinner or asks if I’m allergic- the answer is always- I’ll eat anything BUT bell peppers.

12. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:24 AM  |  reply

I make a really, really good chicken linguine with a creamy pepper sauce. I think it will change your mind, but I will NEVER serve it to you. Just for the sake of our friendship.

13. Camille
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

Amen and amen. I hate any and all peppers.

14. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:52 AM  |  reply

So I just left a comment on Allison’s page… because well, I’m an avid pepper-lover! But I saw so many comments about cauliflower on here that I thought I’d offer a yummy recipe for the “little white trees” as my niece calls them. I promise you – if you did not like cauliflower before – you will become a convert. I have swayed many a hater into loving it this way. Enjoy! http://debsperfectbite.com/2012/06/22/spicy-roasted-cauliflower/

15. Shay
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:53 AM  |  reply

Yep, hate them. Thanks for articulating their bossiness… Never knew how to explain that. The only exception is roasted red pepper flavored hummus… a lower degree of bossiness, IMHO! ๐Ÿ˜‰

16. Stephanie
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:57 AM  |  reply

I LOVE peppers. But I hate (HATE) raisins.

I don’t know why, especially since I like craisins. But the flavor, the color, the texture of a raisin…just GAG. People put them in with their broccoli/cauliflower salad…ugh. Or my mom used to make homemade cinnamon rolls and I would have to carefully peel it open section by section to see if there were raisins in it.

I think the worst of all offenders is when you are biting in a chocolate and discover that a raisin has poisoned it. The creamy confection must then be hurriedly spit into the garbage. I don’t understand what the attraction is, honestly!

17. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 11:03 AM  |  reply

FINALLY I have an ally in my hatred (too strong of a word? I think not!) of bell peppers. Gross gross gross. I don’t care what form they are in… no thank you ma’am. NO peppers for me.

18. Beth
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 11:13 AM  |  reply

I think you are bordering on the hysterical with this Annie. And do your research as you clearly haven’t tried them raw. Some folk need to make a song and dance about the littlest things …
    Just sayin.

19. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 11:32 AM  |  reply

I respect you as a person, but you are totally wrong about the peppers. They are tasty and amazing little vitamin-packed treats. I would leave my comment on the pro-pepper blog, but for some reason her page is being blocked by the filters at my work, so…gotta leave it here with the haters. ๐Ÿ™‚ And you have your example totally wrong– you can NOT pick mushrooms off a pizza and then go on with life, because MUSHROOMS ARE DISGUSTING and so is everything they touch. And because of their nasty little brownish color, they can be very hard to detect in food, which could lead one to inadvertently consuming one, which would obviously be the worst thing ever. UGH!!! So please take your distaste for peppers and redirect it to something TRULY awful: mushrooms. Also, thanks for bringing this timely and important debate into the light!! I think all of this week’s OTHER arguments are PLAYED OUT.

20. ~VA~
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 12:15 PM  |  reply

I don’t necessarily hate bell peppers though I certainly wouldn’t choose them if I had my choice. I do loathe salad dressing–especially ranch…the smell permeates everything…ick. Yesterday my partner at work suggested we flavor all the pretzels in the snack drawer with ranch and it was all I could do to not put my hands over my ears. (I’m too shy to walk past everyone to get to the snack drawer so I bring my own food, but just imagining the smell that would be coming off of other people’s food as they ate is disgusting.)

21. kyle
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 1:15 PM  |  reply

I used to work at a large corporation whose dining room was on 4th floor, my office on 8th. I came to loathe Friday lunchtimes, when people would carry their trays of fish and VINEGAR back to their desks via elevator. Vinegar does NOT belong in an enclosed space! Not ever, ever! I can hardly stand the smell of it when it wafts through a whole building.
    I happen to love peppers of all sorts, but I also happen to think that if we were all the same, a) we’d be boring; b) we’d be bored; and c) we’d start believing God is uncreative. So your pepper aversion is a testament to His creativity. Way to go.

22. Robyn (3girlsmom)
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 4:32 PM  |  reply

I don’t hate bell peppers. Don’t love them either. Just meh.
    However, carrots were created by the devil, himself. They are evil, vile little orange things. Gag.

23. sundilou
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 4:57 PM  |  reply

I HATE peppers!! Recently I tried to eat one to see if my taste had changed (it’s happened with other things) but it didn’t work. Still hate them! I feel the same way about raw onions, except I can eat those if they’re cooked. I’m so glad someone shares this dislike!

• posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 12:15 PM  |  reply

Sundi.. I knew we were friends for a reason ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Louise
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 5:09 PM  |  reply

Not a fan of the green ones, but I can eat them if cooked well. The one veggie I would have to be paid to eat is cucumber. Even the thought of it makes ,me feel slightly sick!

25. Andrea B.
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 7:24 PM  |  reply

I’m with Louise! I’m anti-cucumber as well.

26. logan
    posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 7:25 PM  |  reply

The following is a true story.

When I was about 11 a friends mom took us to a mcdonalds drive thru to grab lunch. She forgot -gasp!- to ask for no little bitty onions on my cheeseburger.
    I did not realize her mistake -the horror!!- until AFTER I had taken a bite.
    My life was, literally, never the same.

Your Pepper= My Onion.

I hate them. Raw, diced, chopped, sauteed, in a salad, on a $75 steak smothered with gravy, I don’t care.
    i. will. not. do. it.

I will even tear open onion rings, pull out the onion part, and just eat the fried (I know, I’m uber healthy in addition to being onionphobic).

27. posted on Aug 02, 2012 at 10:27 PM  |  reply

I share Logan’s extreme dislike of onions. Ick! Talk about overbearing. Hate hate hate them in any form!

28. posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 4:06 AM  |  reply

I’m not a fan of bell peppers, either. I especially do not understand the merits of eating them raw. Also? They make me burp and . . . that is just not right.

I also hate raw tomatoes, though I like them cooked.

• Louise
      posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 6:33 PM  |  reply

I’m with you on raw tomatoes!

29. Mollyanne
    posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 7:42 AM  |  reply

Oh yes ma’am I do hate peppers. And also broccoli. With equal passion.

30. posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 1:33 PM  |  reply

I hate those peppers too! They make everything take on their flavor and ruin it. I avoid them as much as possible, but do sometimes have to eat them as they are set in front of me. My Mom always taught me to eat what is set in front of me. Since I am often eating in people’s homes while on furlough, I do my best to take very little and gag them down. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me grimace – shiver.

31. Anne Pearson
    posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 6:23 PM  |  reply

So Annie, what about the fajitas at camp??!! You are so polite. I’ll never believe another word you say!!!!! Looking forward to seeing you soon.
    P.s This is the first time I have EVER commented on a blog. What’s happening to me??!!! Xx

32. posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 7:54 PM  |  reply

Haha, I love the title of this blog post because I HATE bell peppers so much! And I have a legitimate allergy to boot! When they are snuck into foods I ask for a chaser of Benadryl and Advil.

33. posted on Aug 04, 2012 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

My favorite pizza is pepperoni and green peppers. I don’t taste “sweet” from the green pepper though. Maybe in the red and yellow varieties.

I could jump on an anti-celery bandwagon though. People throw it into things all the time, and I don’t understand. If it’s only good as an add-on, maybe it’s not good enough at all. Adding peanut butter to it? Only ruins the PB. I’m confident that celery is the one food that even the deep-fryer could not redeem.

34. posted on Aug 05, 2012 at 6:06 PM  |  reply

Cilantro. Definitely cilantro.

35. Erin KT
    posted on Aug 06, 2012 at 11:24 PM  |  reply

All bell peppers are gross. You are reading my mind.

36. Kim
    posted on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM  |  reply

My husband hates bell peppers with a passion. He’ll “eat around” them in Chinese food, but in other things he just wants to chuck them out the window.

Guess what? One of our neighbors, in her kindness, gave us a big bag of veggies from her giant garden, including cucumbers, tomatoes… and… green bell peppers.

Now I have to figure out what to do with these things.

37. Lee
    posted on Nov 07, 2012 at 2:28 PM  |  reply

I also have an extreme aversion to bell peppers of any kind, whether they be green, red, yellow, orange, or purple (I’ve even heard that off-white ones exist). Just the smell of bell peppers makes me very nauseated. Someone brought stuffed bell peppers once to a potluck and the smell made me sick. I also don’t like pimentos in green olives–to me they are the same as a red bell pepper.

38. athena
    posted on Dec 07, 2012 at 12:25 PM  |  reply

I am like that with broccoli, mushrooms, and peppers. And okra. Yuck!

39. Darrell Martinsen
    posted on Jan 29, 2013 at 3:43 AM  |  reply

I am so glad to know I’m not alone! I not only hate bell peppers, I find them evil! They’re everywhere and they’re in everything! I can’t even go to a restaurant and get a plate of spaghetti or a bowl of chili anymore without those vile things in them! And yes, even if I pick them out and remove them, their flavor is still there permeating every bite. It truly is unpleasant and metallic and just ruins the entire meal for me, so much so that I now ask the waiter if X sauce contains bell peppers. It doesn’t help that when I was younger my mother forced me to eat stuffed bell peppers. It was truly revolting and the once a week event was always a gag fest ๐Ÿ™

40. Chris
    posted on Feb 04, 2013 at 8:59 PM  |  reply

Im happy to have found people that don’t like peppers either. I can eat most veggies…but I literally want to throw up when I smell them. My co worker used to make them all the time and I had to leave the lunchroom because of the smell. And for some reason my parents think that I enjoy them…a lot…I will never understand the allure of bell peppers. You can make food taste great without them. I remember my mother making stuffed peppers for dinner one time…of all the meals I’ve eaten in my life I can honestly say that has been the most memorable, terrible, stomach churning meal of all time. And it’s been almost 20 years since that dinner lol…what are some alternatives to peppers though? Ie, for recipes that call specifically for them, usually I avoid making those because of the pepper ingredient…

41. Melissa
    posted on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM  |  reply

You said it just right…..Im the same as you when it comes to bell peppers. But sadly growing up my mom put them in EVERYTHING! not caring one bit of my detest of them. But ill eat just about anything else.

42. Emily
    posted on Apr 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM  |  reply

Bell peppers… The fruit of satan… why do they exist….? anything but bell peppers please!!!!

43. Jeannine
    posted on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM  |  reply

SOOO Right! AND to add insult if you are overweight they are in everything!! It’s like
    -taste? add peppers! Rather eat the box! And my digestion catches the little buggers if I don’t.
    BLAUGH!

44. Alicia
    posted on May 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM  |  reply

Totally with you, sista ๐Ÿ˜‰ I HATE peppers (sweet peppers). If it’s in my food, I WILL pick them out and I will NEVER eat them. Everybody’s just like, “Oh, but they’re soo good, like tomatoes…” Uh, hell no. Tomatoes I can handle, but peppers are definitely the “swerve” option for me. As you said tho, even if you take them out of the food, the taste NEVER goes away. It’s like seriously, did they really need to go in there. (I don’t think so.) Btw, I would not mind eating brussel sprouts rather than peppers. Like freaking BRUSSEL SPROUTS?! That is my hate for these peppers tho. If I’d rather eat brussel sprouts than them, then the hate’s pretty strong.

Anyways, thanks for writing this, I thought I was the only one.

45. Devon
    posted on May 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM  |  reply

Nobody in my family understands my extreme dislike of all varieties of bell pepper! It IS a bossy flavor, one which happens to disgust me… And I’ve tried so hard to like them :'( I KNOW they’re really good for you with their “three times as much vitamin C as an orange… ect.” so I WANT to be able to eat them all the time, and maybe be a healthier person. I, however have been unable to get past the taste, smell or texture since the first meal my mother ever served them to me in. I tried a bite of green bell pepper raw just last week, and nearly gagged on it… I don’t think it will ever happen without my sense of taste and smell being completely wiped out.
    Though, thinking about it, I don’t have the same aversion to spicy peppers. I can enjoy a nice guacamole or sales with no pepper-related problems

46. Devon
    posted on May 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM  |  reply

*salsa haha

47. fishtanks
    posted on Jun 02, 2013 at 10:37 PM  |  reply

“I have such a strong aversion to peppers that the smell of them even makes me shiver with dislike.”

I can totally relate to this!

48. Noodles
    posted on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM  |  reply

I absolutely despise cooked bell peppers. On occasion, I can stomach a raw green pepper, or possibly sprinkled on a pizza (only if it’s not soggy). If it’s even slightly sweet, I’ll spit it out. There is also an exception for fajitas. If done properly with the right amount of sour cream and seasoning, then bell peppers can go well with a fajitas.

I hate cauliflower and eggplant as well. I just don’t get the appeal. The taste is strange…

49. Athena
    posted on Aug 07, 2013 at 11:11 AM  |  reply

This is how I feel about both peppers and mushrooms. I just don’t think peppers should be sweet, and mushrooms are a fungus. Fungus is not a food-it’s something you kill. I also feel this way about broccoli. Ick. I tell people I’m allergic to those things so I don’t have to eat them.

50. CB
    posted on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM  |  reply

Bell peppers contaminate everything they come in to contact with, making the entire dish inedible. The most bitter vile tasting gag inducing food on earth. Accidentally eating some will cause the roof of my mouth to itch, followed by burping and tasting it over and over again for hours. I hate this new pretentious trend in restaurants to add “roasted red peppers” to freaking everything.

When I’m in the grocery store I avoid walking near them because I don’t even want that smell going up my nose.

51. Tejas
    posted on Sep 24, 2013 at 8:12 AM  |  reply

Oh, my god. This post has made me so happy. I hate bell peppers with all my heart. I can’t stand the taste, smell and sight of them and I want them to go extinct.

52. Kathryn
    posted on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM  |  reply

I agree wholeheartedly with Tejas – I, too wish they could be removed from our planet. I truly despise peppers more than I can verbally convey. Even if I do not readily see peppers in a dish, you can smell them and certainly taste them. The meal is completely ruined if peppers are in them.

Why do SOOOO many chefs include peppers in SO many dishes?!?! It is maddening. I, too have used the old “I’m very allergic, so please make sure there are no peppers in the dish” when ordering at a restaurant.

I love Amy’s healthy vegetarian meals, for example. Almost every one of her meals have peppers in them. I’d rather cook a fresh meal, but sometimes I turn to ready-made and Amy’s is the one of the few companies I’ll eat frozen meals from and I have so few to choose from because most are contaminated by one of the worst tasting things on Earth. We should all start a movement ๐Ÿ™‚

53. Kathryn
    posted on Sep 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM  |  reply

So, I’ve kind of unofficially started an ‘Anti-pepper Movement’. I think that if every person that despises peppers and the flavor took 4 minutes to write a letter, it would at the very least create an awareness of how overused the pepper is and that there are MANY who cannot stand them and many that are highly allergic. I’ve written to 3 companies asking them to consider removing peppers from a particular recipe and saying that I am sure that the recipe will be just as delicious without those wretched things in it.

There seem to be so many of us that are BEYOND sick of peppers being in almost EVERYTHING these days. If we all write a quick note to restaurants and/or prepared food companies to politely ask them to remove peppers from recipes, it would at least cause a stir, albeit a small one.

I know it’s not a huge deal and we can all just avoid them, but it really is RIDICULOUS how many entrees have those nasty horrid tasting things in them nowadays.

Just had to share a letter I wrote to Amy’s frozen foods:
    Hello,
    I will start by saying that I have been buying Amy’s meals for years. It is comforting to know that there are frozen meals that we can purchase that are the farthest thing from ‘garbage’ (like so many frozen meals) AND that they are so tasty!

I am writing today because I wish I could try more of the Amy’s entrees, but alas, cannot because SO many of your entrees have peppers in them. There is a large percent of the population that are highly allergic or simply detest the taste of peppers. When peppers are added to a dish, the horrid flavor permeates the entire dish and one can taste pepper in every bite, even if every one of them has been picked out. With other foods that people dislike, they can be picked out and the dish will not be utterly compromised.

I am asking that you reconsider having peppers in SO many of your dishes. I write to you as one person, but I represent a large chunk of the population. One of my best friends has repeatedly said she would try many of your entrees if they were pepper-free. She is highly allergic, while I simply detest them beyond verbal description.

I know that Amy’s has become an extremely successful company and that my feelings and comments may be discarded or responded to with a cut and paste reply, but I really think highly of your company and had to get that off of my chest, finally.

Thank you.

54. Abbey
    posted on Oct 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM  |  reply

I agree with you so much… Peppers are disgusting. It isn’t as simple as picking them out, their flavor is so strong and overpowers everything, they literally make me retch. I’m so happy someone is on the same page as me about this.

55. Nick
    posted on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM  |  reply

I could not agree more. You have successfully put my exact thoughts into words

56. Hayward Ollerton
    posted on Jan 08, 2014 at 11:30 AM  |  reply

And yet it is increasingly difficult to find a ‘prepared dish’ in a supermarket that does not contain the repulsive taste of peppers. Some suppliers seem to have the mistaken belief that the red brutes add a cheerful colour -NO!!! they impart the grisly taste of the things. It would be commercial suicide in many enterprises, but they seem to get away with it because not enough people complain.
    I once found fifty- one, repeat 51 – pieces of red pepper in a Sainsbury beef stroganoff on a day on which their own website featured a recipe for the same dish with- entirely correctly – no reference to a plague of peppers.

And before anyone comments – I do have a life, just don’t want to sully it with this ghastly taste!

57. Rose
    posted on Jan 09, 2014 at 2:02 AM  |  reply

Personally, I hate bell peppers too but my problem is that I don’t feel like they have a flavor. At all… I also can’t taste mushrooms, what I do taste is this disgusting consistency that is sometimes slimy and honestly just so flavorless it disgusts me. I might as well be eating paper. I hate bell peppers and how they are everywhere in everything. I wish I could cook up some pan fried ANYTHING from the frozen food isle that doesn’t have freakin bell peppers in them! I told this to my boyfriend and he’s like, “Well, they are nutritious.” And I just replied, “I don’t care, keep them away from me!” I swear if I have to eat one more thing with bell peppers in it I am going to develop a phobia and start screaming and running away. Although, I could also go with the, “I’m allergic to this.” thing, that’s brilliant. Thank you for your blog, at least I know I’m not alone! <3

58. Mellie
    posted on Feb 01, 2014 at 5:38 PM  |  reply

For years I would spit out or eat around bell peppers, because they’re gross, but a few years ago my mom made a very strongly-flavored pasta dish that hid the flavor, and chopped the peppers very small, so I couldn’t eat around them. I could still sort of taste the peppers, and didn’t enjoy it, but I could at least swallow it. Not long after, I was violently retching. Turns out I’ve had a sensitivity all this time and never knew because I didn’t eat them. The problem I have is that restaurants often don’t mention peppers, since they think of them as innocuous, and since I’m pescetarian and have to go with vegetarian options to avoid meat, the little buggers are EVERYWHERE. I went to a wedding recently and had to select the non-veggie dish on my RSVP card, because there were no descriptions of the dishes in the invite and I was so afraid of peppers being involved.

59. Cara
    posted on Apr 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

I understand you. For as long as I know myself I despised bell peppers. I can’t understand how some people stand the taste. And the smell is horrible

60. matt
    posted on May 01, 2014 at 11:08 AM  |  reply

I am not a picky eater either but I loathe peppers with every cell in my body love jalapenos though but the way Bell peppers take over an entire dish and then remind you for hours after you ate. Absolutely the worst vegetable on the planet I would rather chop off my left hand than ever taste that foulness again. Haha I’m not kidding that’s how much I hate peppers anyways my rant is over lol.

61. matt
    posted on May 01, 2014 at 11:19 AM  |  reply

I also agree about celery disgusting can’t stand it but like I said I loathe peppers except spicy peppers and ground black pepper

62. Ryan
    posted on May 05, 2014 at 9:21 PM  |  reply

I’m totally cool with chili peppers. Stack em high on a Chicago dog, put em in some nachos, it’s all good with me. But bell peppers I quite simply can’t do. Even the faintest smell of them makes me want to vomit. You really hit the nail on the head, it is the bossiest vegetable on the planet.

The strangest thing, however, was that when I expressed my intense aversion to bell peppers to other people, they were perplexed; I have yet to meet a person who shares my seething hatred of this loathsome vegetable. I think it might be like cilantro, where certain peoples’ tastebuds are wired to think that cilantro tastes like chalk, maybe my tastebuds are wired to think bell peppers taste like rotting goblin flesh marinated in axe body spray.

63. Saunders
    posted on May 15, 2014 at 6:37 AM  |  reply

I used to hate a lot of foods but my parents made me eat a lot of crap growing up. And when they stopped forcing it down my throat, I ended up liking some of the more bizarre foods that even they wouldn’t want. Same goes for scary movies. My dad and sister would watch scary movies and I’d be too chicken to watch with them. I was scared of closets and roller-coasters. Now I’ll watch practically any movie that even they can’t stomach.

64. Rebecca
    posted on May 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM  |  reply

I feel so validated! I knew I wasn’t alone. It was my first pregnancy that turned my whole being against bell peppers. (I loved them and even grew them prior) Want me to leave the room? Break out the peppers.. I just had a lovely and pricey dinner out for my anniversary and the plate came with fire roasted peppers on top of the perfectly tender green beans. Needless to say the green beans tasted like peppers and I left them behind. I gently told the server that I didn’t hear her mention the peppers when she mentioned the potatoes and green beans. I had I known I would have had her hold them. She was shocked and replied that she thought of them as a garnish which is why they weren’t mentioned. I’m going to have to specifically request no bell peppers on my plate when dining out, because they just appear!

65. posted on May 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM  |  reply

Preach!! A friend sent this to me because I feel the EXACT. SAME. WAY. They ruin anything they touch. I can smell those suckers from a mile away. Love all other peppers EXCEPT those nasty bells.

66. MKS
    posted on May 26, 2014 at 1:06 AM  |  reply

I agree! I honestly cannot eat bell peppers. I have to carefully read labels of any frozen foods to make sure they have no bell peppers in them. Ionce became violently ill for eating a dish with some in it…I only ate the dish to be polite, but never again. I got so so sick…never never again. Bell peppers get a thumbs down from me.

67. posted on Jul 10, 2014 at 5:22 PM  |  reply

I hate mustard, too! The smell gives me the dry heaves and the the taste cause projectile vomiting! Peppers of all kinds come a come in second. They smell like dog urine and taste like I’d imagine dog urine would taste. As for mature taste buds, mine are 65 and I don’t think they’re going to change much more. I once saw someone on the food channel put peppers in a cheesecake – Superyuck!!! What we and our compadres need to do is start a “Pepper-Free Recipe Webpage”. I’ve got a family cheesecake recipe that is easy, reduced-fat, and has great flavor. I’d be glad to contribute it.

68. Cassie
    posted on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM  |  reply

All bell peppers suck Yeah someone agrees with me Avoid them at all costs especially in Chinese takeout Horrible overpowering flavor Thx for posting this

69. A'Z
    posted on Nov 23, 2014 at 2:18 PM  |  reply

I literally googled “I hate bell peppers” just to see what would come up because I hate them so much and you are the first link I came to. Bell peppers suck.

70. Kim
    posted on Nov 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM  |  reply

I absolutely, positively detest red bell peppers. It makes no sense, as the greens, yellows and oranges I can tolerate. But, RED…just makes my throat close off and I gag. I hate when they sneak them into things at restaurants and don’t disclose them on the menu.
    Roasting them doesn’t make them better!
    I agree… The taste takes over the whole dish, and those people that tell me I won’t even taste it…HA! Two thumbs down.

71. Brenda
    posted on Nov 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM  |  reply

Thank you for letting me know that I’m not alone! I dislike all bell peppers, but the green ones are the worst! I was a very picky eater as a child. Now as an adult I find I enjoy many foods I hated before–even cooked broccoli (as long as it is not overcooked) and jalapenos (chopped up small). But I am pretty sure I will loathe green peppers to my dying day, and the way they contaminate everything they touch. Believe me, I would LOVE to like them, it would make life so much easier!

72. Amanda
    posted on Jan 03, 2015 at 2:45 PM  |  reply

When I was around 10 years old, now I’m 17, my dad went over a friends house and his friend had a crazy obsession with bell peppers and would put in on the BBQ and stove in his house just for the scent of it. Then when my dad came back he did the same thing. He put it in the stove and cooked it and 2 minutes into the cooking the smell was all over my house and it finally got to me. When it got to me it was terrifying. I’ve never smelled anything so disgusting and horrifying. I felt like I was being suffocated. I gasped for air and more air and I started screaming like crazy and soon enough it upset my stomach up to the point where I was throwing up all over my house and my mom freaked out and took me out of the house. Never again has my family bought bell peppers. Another story was when I was over my cousins house and we were playing sims on the computers and my aunt started cooking picadillo, which is ground beef in Spanish lol & again, 2 minutes into the cooking with bell peppers I felt like the smell was suffocating me and I automatically started throwing up everywhere and my aunt was scared and she was asking me what was wrong and I ran out the house in desesperation. She finally asked me what happened and I told her and now she knows not to cook with bell peppers when I’m around. And people think I exaggerate but the truth is I’m actually not. I just loathe bell peppers and the smell. I also say I’m allergic to them so people don’t try to force them down my throat.

73. Bob Gardin
    posted on Jan 04, 2015 at 2:38 PM  |  reply

Bell peppers, especially the green ones, are one food I never outgrew my dislike for. (I’m 55 now) especially when cooked. Just thinking about them can make my throat clamp up. Also always disliked mustard, mushrooms, fenel seeds and cooked celery, in case anyone can relate and thinks a connection between these foods can be made. But it seems I can tolerate small quantities of the others when mixed with other ingredients. Not so with bell peppers for some reason, especially when steamed.

74. Lisa KK
    posted on Jan 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM  |  reply

I would like to suggest to all who oppose the taste of bell peppers to question whether you have varying degrees of SALICYLATE intolerance. Many of the food items listed in these comments have the highest concentration of salicylates. These include processed/concentrated tomato products, all peppers, wine, hops beer, cucumbers, pickles, tea, and many spices. What alway threw me is that I’ll be good a specific brand of red wine one week but try another glass the next week and have breathing issues and headache within an hour. It depends on the food item, processing, and immune system at that moment. Just something to explore.

75. Rob
    posted on Apr 06, 2015 at 10:07 AM  |  reply

Annie,
    Everyone looks at me like I’m crazy when I say I hate Bell Peppers. Red, Orange, Yellow, or Green, it makes no difference! The only thing I taste is metallic or sharply bitter! Yesterday we went to breakfast at a local Mexican restaurant, and I asked for no bell peppers, but they were in the food anyway. The first bite and I knew! Their bitterness permeates whatever food they are put in!
    Thanks for the support!
    Rob

76. RT
    posted on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:06 PM  |  reply

Annie,

I have never agreed with some one so wholeheartedly in all of my life. Bell Peppers are a flavor bully, they contaminate the whole meal with their aroma and taste. They have no place on my plate and I am glad to have found a fellow bell pepper detractor.

77. Lady
    posted on Apr 17, 2015 at 8:54 PM  |  reply

I get this. I despise bell peppers. Everyone else in my family loves them. And have you ever noticed that your senses say the are POISON? Seriously, something actually seems poisonous about them. My twin has no idea what I’m talking about, and when I try and explain I can’t come up with something other than poison as a description for why I don’t like them.

78. posted on May 27, 2015 at 5:27 PM  |  reply

Hi… This is an old post. But I’m lying in bed today with major problems because I ate a bell pepper raw. My stomach is in a horrible cramping mode because it’s trying to digest the peel and deal with that thing…. It’s totally ruined my afternoon. Ughs.

No more. Can’t do em anymore. Struggling to even type this as it feels like daggers are swimming in my intestines.

I googled “don’t eat red bell peppers why” haha and got your blog. Funny, I read “Let’s All Be Brave” a few months ago. SO GOOD.

Xoxox

79. lou
    posted on Jun 17, 2015 at 9:14 PM  |  reply

I just discovered few days ago that I have an intolerance for green bell peppers. I got sick at work with what started as a migraine headache and mild nausea. It progressed rather quickly. I finally had several times bowel movements before taking some motrin, I slept it off, feel bbc.co better now. The night before I ate a large green salad with lots of green bell pepper. Years ago, I violently sick after eating a plate of ” camarones al diabla”. It is a Mexican shrimp dish featuring shrimp and green bell peppers in a red sauce. I know stay AWAY from all bell peppers.

80. Suzanne
    posted on Jul 25, 2015 at 12:20 AM  |  reply

I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM, and they do not like me!!! I do not like it in the first place they make me nauseous. Then they give me gastric reflux for 2 to 3 days after. It does not matter if it is the smallest amount. I don’t like any of the colors. They are disgusting and they take over the flavor of the whole dish and I agree even if you take out the pepper it still tastes like bell pepper. Also, they put them in everything, for “color.” For the red ones put in tomatoes, the green add spinach, and the yellow there is squash, onions take your pick. Why ruin the taste for color when these are only a few of the choices!!! COME ON RESTAURANTS LISTEN TO US QUIT FEEDING US THE VEGGIE THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!!!

81. Rob
    posted on Sep 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM  |  reply

I met someone who hates peppers (not sure inclusive of all types but bell peppers is a definite) and onions. I am an engineer so my first thought is emotional food trauma or body chemistry? This hater is skinny and has high metabolism (ok that is nice substitute for ADD!). Do you other haters fit these characteristics if you think it is chemical?
    Rob (sigh, I love food and having to not have ingredients I like incorporated into my/hopefully our lifestyle is just another thing I guess).

82. Michelle
    posted on Sep 28, 2015 at 9:24 PM  |  reply

I loved your blog & the comments following! My husband and I have an agreement- I get his tomatoes & cucumbers and he eats my raw onions & raw peppers..
    He’s not with me tonight, so I tried to eat my own raw peppers in a salad…not even finished & I find myself searching why I hate raw peppers? What did they do to deserve such focused dislike from me? Oh, that’s right…they are like a mother-in-law (at least my mother-in-law) – they don’t leave when they should & they always need to have the last word. I experience the same issue with raw broccoli. Now I’m settling in for a long night.

83. Heather
    posted on Oct 05, 2015 at 4:06 PM  |  reply

OMG YES! Someone understands me exactly on this issue! LOL Now.. my issue is what is the proper way to explain “Allergic” to bell peppers in Spanish. It seems they have different words and no matter what I write out, or show them, some how I get a bossy bell pepper in my meal and it ruins my mood every time!

• Robert
      posted on Oct 12, 2015 at 1:02 PM  |  reply

I am allergic to peppers = soy alรฉrgico a los pimientos

84. Sarah
    posted on Oct 27, 2015 at 8:41 AM  |  reply

I also loathe peppers whether they are red, green or yellow, raw or cooked. The smell of them cooking is repulsive. Raw, they taste like dirty water and repeat on you for the rest of the day.
    I also don’t like raw celery, a few bites of it make my tongue go numb.

85. Sarah
    posted on Nov 03, 2015 at 2:07 AM  |  reply

I agree about bell peppers. They are nasty, destroy anything they touch, add nothing to any food and the thought of them makes me nauseated. Funny thing, if they are chopped fine and included SPARSELY in cooked food I can enjoy them and whatever flavor they add, but forget it for raw or overpowering cooked peppers like stuffed peppers. If I order pizza it is with the specificity to leave the peppers OFF or no pay. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!!!!! There’s only 1 other food that I dislike as bad as bell peppers and that is “sweet potatoes.” NASTY, GROSS and HORRIBLE! And they are NOT sweet!!!

86. Lora
    posted on Dec 28, 2015 at 3:08 AM  |  reply

Pepper are my favorite veggie. I also love onions, celery, mushroom, carrots, and everything else msntioned above. My daughter hates peppers and that makes me sad because peppers are so amazing. Unforfunately she does not appreciate them.
    How I like peppers:
    Peppers stuffed with rice and ground beef
    Stuffed with feta cheese and egg
    Roasted with oil and vinegar and garlic
    Roasted with nothing else
    Roasted with tomatoes, cucumber,onion, olive oil ( salad)
    Fresh as a snack (goes well with goat cheese or feta)
    Fresh peppers in a salad
    In an omlet
    On pizza

I don’t like them in stews or soups, though.

87. Lora
    posted on Dec 28, 2015 at 3:11 AM  |  reply

I wish I could correct my typos…..

88. AmyF
    posted on Jan 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM  |  reply

I really didn’t think there were many people out there who truly had the same aversion that I have to all forms of bell peppers! I can eat spicy peppers cooked in foods, but the specific bell pepper taste and smell makes my skin crawl. The truly irritating thing to me, being a person who struggles with weight, is that every diet plan is based on eating huge amounts of bell peppers. “It looks pretty, It’s good for you, You can eat as much as you want”. Bleck…I will give them the “it looks pretty” part, and it may be good for me, but I’m not eating any. Trying to find something to replace the gobs of peppers and give the food some real flavor without calories is truly a challenge. There’s my two cent vote!

89. Deborah
    posted on Feb 01, 2016 at 10:25 PM  |  reply

Detest bell peppers. Gagging just thinking about them . GAWD, they taste like skunk spray!!!

90. Susan
    posted on Sep 10, 2017 at 3:22 PM  |  reply

I know this is an old post but thought I’d comment anyway ๐Ÿ˜ I can’t bare peppers of any colour, they all taste exactly the same, my sister keeps going on about how sweet tasting the yellow ones are……nope taste bitter and nasty the same as any other colour…..my husband and kids all like them too, I’m just the fussy pants ๐Ÿ˜– There must be an enzyme or something in it that sets my taste buds on alert….? I love hot peppers though…! And detest onion but that’s the texture not the flavour….