Top 5 Friday: iPhone Apps

on August 3, 2012 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 12 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

Last weekend at Girls of Grace, when Leigh from Point of Grace was planning to introduce me before I went on to speak, she called me over.

“This bio says you are a nerd. That’s not what you mean, right?” she asked.

I smiled. “Yep, I’m a total nerd. Tech nerd. I love the library. I love the internet. I love shows on PBS. So yeah, I definitely meant nerd.”

[And if anyone out there is a nerdfighter, DFTBA.]

And part of being a nerd, if you ask me, is having a good variety of iPhone apps [or iPad apps I guess]. My dear friend Kristi emailed me the other day and said, “Hey, will you tell me your five favorite iPhone apps?” and my little nerdy heart exploded into a thousand cubes of joy.

So these are my top 5 favorite iPhone apps today.

. . . . .

1. Instagram

Obviously. I use this ridiculously often. I love the social aspect of it, I love getting to edit and work with pictures, and I love funny hashtagging and comments. I also currently love how there are no ads, though with the recent purchase of Instagram by Facebook, it shall only be a matter of time. Unforch.

2. Diptic / Phonto

I’m grouping these puppies together because they are also photo-editing apps that I use on a photo before I put it into Instagram. Diptic is the one that let’s you do collages [like this] and Phonto lets you write on the pictures [like this].

3. What’s App / Viber

My lifelines while I’m in Scotland. Both of these apps allow for free international texting and Viber lets you call for free internationally. Crazy, right? It’s great. And I bullied all my Scotland friends into downloading one of the two apps so that even when I’m home, Louise and I can still text about funny things and Leisa and I can still keep up with our Alias addiction and Esther and I can still check in as much as we want. These apps make it bearable to survive with half my heart on the other side of the Atlantic.

4. ScanPages

Lyndsay and I have found this app to be super helpful in our freelance lives. You can take a picture of any document and it will turn it into a PDF that you can email to yourself or someone else. So instead of having to find a friend and beg them to scan my W9 so I can email it to some high profile magazine in New York City [yeah right], I can just make it into a PDF myself.

5. Lose It!

Great at tracking calories, exercise, and the easiest thing is it scans bar codes of food so you don’t have to type them all in. It also sets goals for you. So much success in weight loss/management is tracking what you are eating [honestly 🙂], and I am way more inclined to type it into this app then keep a paper tracker in my purse.

And, honorary mention goes to my least favorite app: Facebook. Ugh. It is slow and annoying and it shocks me that a company that may end up ruling the world can’t give me a better iPhone app.

I have many other favs, but these handful are the ones that I open on a daily/regular basis. Bonus fact: my iPhone game of choice is Temple Run. Don’t judge me.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What’s your favorite iPhone app?

1. posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 7:20 AM  |  reply

I’m so glad you posted this! I got an iPhone for my job back in June, and I still don’t really know what I’m doing with it most days. I do have Instagram, but I haven’t even heard of the other apps you listed. I do like the Dragon Dictation app. It’s great for turning talk into texts or emails.

2. posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 8:27 AM  |  reply

I have two favorites. ShopShop lets me make lists, color code them, and mark through them. The other is MyFitnessPal which I believe is very similar to your Lose It! app.

3. Leanna
    posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

thank you for sharing these!! I’m super excited to get a couple (I had a couple too)

4. posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 11:22 AM  |  reply

Ooooh! I’m excited about trying out the diptic and phonto and scan pages. I admit, I’ve got instagram, but I don’t use it and have no interest in learning. Not sure why.

Love, love, love Lose it. I’ve had that one for a while, and love the bar code scan feature. and we are huge TempleRun fans here, too. (I won’t judge you, if you won’t judge me…)

I play Words with Friends daily, so that’s opened all. the. time. And my Starbucks app is used consistently – I love the fact that you load up a gift card in the app and the stores can scan your phone to pay. One less thing to carry around. I use Cozi to manage my shopping list for groceries. Those are my most commone ones I use. I’ve been playing around with a few photo apps – photo vault was a great app for storing photos I didn’t want my kids to find (I was having some health issues, we were vacationing, and I took pictures to share with my doc. Didn’t want my 11 year old (or my 18 yr old for that matter to see them). And I’m playing wth Snapseed, photoStudio and ColorStrokes. The verdict is still out on those.

5. posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 1:25 PM  |  reply

1. Instagram (for obvs reasons)
    2. Pinterest (time killer for when I’m bored and away from computer)
    3. Twitter- a new love
    4. Viggle- earn points for watching television and then cash them in for things like a month of hulu or spotify or itunes gift card or such. Or just hoard them like I do.
    5. Shazam- To figure out what that song was and then download it and be cool before everyone else. (Discovered fun. four months before it was on a car commercial and everyone else got hooked.) Bonus points- fun to say.

Totes downloading LoseIt because downloading an app should lose me five pounds at least, right?

6. Kristi
    posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 1:58 PM  |  reply

yay, thanks Annie! happy to make your heart “explode into a thousand cubes of joy”…I get that a lot 🙂

7. posted on Aug 03, 2012 at 5:41 PM  |  reply

I like Sound Hound because I always want to know the artist of songs~and it’s fun to sing the song and see if it recognizes the tune.

Stack the States has been fun to play with my kidlets.

Grabbing Phonto and ScanPages now, thanks Annie!

8. posted on Aug 04, 2012 at 9:08 AM  |  reply

Top 5 (by regular use):

1) Instagram

2) Twitter

3) Facebook

4) Directv (so I can set the DVR if I’m not at home)

5) Yahoo Fantasy Baseball (so I can keep track of the Boyd Crowders as they cement themselves in the middle of the league)

Others I enjoy:

a) TuneIn Radio – I can’t play an instrument, but I love music. This app lets you listen to radio stations all over the world. It’s how I discovered Nashville’s Lightning 100.

b) Spotify – Let’s me listen to entire CDs.

c) Pandora – I like their stations function. Eventually though, all my stations start to sound the same. (I like what I like.)

d) Angry Birds – I may be the only person with an iPhone who hasn’t achieved 3 stars on every level. So I am still playing the original version. Keegan prefers the newer versions and the skeeball game.

9. posted on Aug 07, 2012 at 7:10 AM  |  reply

I love PhotoToaster Jr. It gives you a large variety of editing options, has lots of great filters (I especially love “Vanity Fair” for portraits and like “Park Slope” in general), and it lets you save back to your device. Love!

And thanks for this list! Downloading new apps now…

10. posted on Aug 09, 2012 at 3:47 PM  |  reply

I’m looking forward to trying out the diptic and phonto and scan pages. I admit, I’ve got instagram, it really is simple to use.

11. posted on Aug 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM  |  reply

[…] Shout to Annie for the inspiration on these posts on Fridays. Check out hers this week on her favorite iPhone apps. […]

12. posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM  |  reply

So I’m late on this – but I just wanted to say DFTBA! I love Nerdfighteria and am so glad that being a Nerd is becoming cool.