RIP Hair Straightener. RIP.

on August 13, 2012 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 19 comments by

It is with a heavy heart that I bring you this sad blog post.

My straightener, old faithful, constant companion, finally went kaput two weeks ago. I know. I know. I should have told you sooner. But the pain was a bit too much to bear.

You see, I murdered it.

Not on purpose. No, I would never. I need it too much. My hair is what I have lovingly named “ugly wavy.” And there is a lot of it. I mean whoa lots o’ hair. [As you can see in this photo from Saturday’s Girls of Grace event in Jackson, I have lots of hair and my hair was having some issues. It would NOT get out of my eyes. Don’t even get me started.]

Here’s what happened to said straightener.

I plugged it in when I was in Scotland.

I know. I know. A smarter more sophisticated gal would have known that was a bad idea. But me? I just went for it. And when it made a loud popping sound and left a tiny V-shaped pile of soot on my towel where it was laying, I should have known it was a goner.

But I packed it and brought it home anyways.

Two weeks ago in Phoenix, I plugged the old boy in to no avail. No lights. No heat. No straight hair.

So today, in honor of the straightener that is no more, I raise my glass of morning orange juice to the dearly departed straightener.

We had a good run, my friend. A really good run. Seven years. Seven homes [I wish I was joking]. Many a morning together, me at a cool 98 degrees, you at a toasty 170 degrees. Thanks for the memories. And the straight hair.

Also, I’m sorry I threw you in a hotel room trash can in an unfamiliar city. Hopefully you’ll find the brave little toaster and join the society of discarded household appliances.

. . . . .

Sister here is gonna need to get a new straightener. You ladies have any recommendations? Online deals? Coupons? Products I should use instead of a straightener? Share your hair wisdom.

1. Laura
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:22 AM  |  reply

I’ve had two paul mitchell flat irons. they are the best and last forever.

2. Lauren
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:44 AM  |  reply

I can never justify spending $100 on a flat iron, plus this one works incredibly:

3. posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:49 AM  |  reply

My hair is “ugly wavy” too! I can never just let it air dry because of that. My straightener came from Target and cost $20, though, so I may not be too helpful in that department. 🙂

4. kristI
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 7:19 AM  |  reply

I know they can an investment but Chi flat irons are the jam! I have been using one now for about 2 years and really get the hype!! (i battle some interesting wave patterns sometimes and my chi makes everyone behave ) Ulta will often run deals that you can take advantage of along with a coupon 🙂 Good luck!!

5. rejean
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM  |  reply

First, so sorry for you loss.

I have a GHD and the odd day that I don’t use it, my hair is a hideously huge and wavy. Its an expensive one but I’ve had it for 4 years.
    As for treatments I use brazilian keratin therapy by organix, the 14 day smoothing treatment, it cuts down on drying time!

6. posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM  |  reply

NOT AHHHH.

Annie Downs, hand to heaven, my blog for this morning was entitled “The Brave Little Toaster.” I can’t post it now – can’t even do it. Too much of a coincidence. I’ll save it for another day. 🙂

7. Leanna
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM  |  reply

I’m a fan of the Chi or the Wigo. I’ve had both and have hair that likes to wave and frizz and both help a lot!
    Plus both come with warranties.

I got this new one (a chi) at ULTA. If you have one close by check them out or check them out online. They always have sales and coupons.

8. posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM  |  reply

My hair is simultaneously frizzy and wavy and after years of battling, I finally gave up. I went and got it straightened. Took 7 hours in a hair salon but for the last 8 months all I do is wash my hair and go. Amazing…

• Heather
      posted on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Do you know what the treatment was called I tried that once and didn’t have success.

9. Naomi
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

so sorry to hear about your loss 🙁 I totally understand.

I got a new straightener this summer, and it works really well, plus you can curl with it too. Holds really well, hair looks great for days.

the holder for the bathroom mirror is awesome too!

10. Emily
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM  |  reply

So I always avoid eye contact with the kiosk people in the middle of the mall when they try to get you to try one of their products. But years ago with my crazy wavy hair I watched in amazement with the hair straightener people at the mall. They were using a Corioliss Ceramic Flat Iron and I think they retail for $100ish at the kiosk. But on Amazon you can find one for $30. And it’s totally worth every penny.

11. posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM  |  reply

Love this post – so true how attached to these silly things we become!
    I have a Solia straightener and I love it! It’s a bit cheaper than a Chi and works really well. After using mine on trips my sister in law got one too.

12. Melissa
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM  |  reply

Oh no…no, you didn’t bring up the Brave Little Toaster. I still tear up every time I think about that movie!! Sniffle…poor Blanky.

13. Megan
    posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM  |  reply

So sorry to hear about your straightener. I had one die on me once when only half of my hair was straight. That was a rough morning. I normally purchase my straighteners at a beauty supply store where the professionals buy their products. I go to Sally’s, but I don’t know if you have those there. The staff is great in explaining the differences between the straighteners. Good luck!

14. posted on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM  |  reply

ive always used the CHI hair straightener…they range from 50-100, but are definitely worth it!

15. posted on Aug 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM  |  reply

I use the Ceramix Extreme. It has a ceramic plate which really makes the hair smooth and silky. It is 1″ wide and has 25 heat settings. I really like the finished straightened hair.

16. posted on Aug 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM  |  reply

Hate to recommend such a pricey tool, but I can’t tell you how worth it the Chi is…it usually doesn’t retail for less than $99 smackers, but may I suggest getting a 20% off coupon at bed,bath&beyond to make it cheaper? Mine lasted for 8 years, and the only reason I had to replace it was ( dropped it abnormally bad, and chipped the plastic next to the iron. (I dropped it numerous times in 8 years). You can go cheaper, but you’ll absolutely have to buy another one soon… Love your blog post…as always! Looking forward to your book 🙂

17. Vivien
    posted on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

Ouch, I hate when you have to lose such a valuable companion like a hair straightener! Happened to me with my old FHI and I bought a Karmin G3 which is pricy but VERY durable! I recommend Karmin Tools all the way, they’re extremely professional!

18. Roxy
    posted on Aug 07, 2013 at 11:12 PM  |  reply

I bought the HSI straightener off of Amazon for only 15 bucks. It works pretty good (410 degrees) and it comes with a tiny bottle of Organ oil for heat damage protection. The only gripe about it is it doesn’t have a auto off option and if your anything like me that’s bad. Luckily though I keep my straightener in a decorative flower pot so it doesn’t burn anything if I forget to turn it off lol