Tell me ’bout cha, Portland.

on August 22, 2012 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 28 comments by

I’m going to Portland, Oregon tomorrow.

One of my dear friends is getting married there and I get to be a part of the celebration. A handful of Nash-gals are all going together and we are beyond beyond excited about it.

By the way, I’ve never been to Portland, Oregon.

So I have some questions that I would like for someone to answer. In fact, I’d like lots of you someones to answer.

1. What is a must-see in Portland?

2. What is a must-do in Portland?

3. What is a must-eat in Portland?

4. Do YOU live in/around Portland? I’m pretty sure it will be a long time until I’m in Portland again. [I mean, it took me 32 years to get there once, so at this pace, I’ll see ya in 2044.] I’m gonna throw some copies of Perfectly Unique in my suitcase and bring them with me.Β We can meet up, grab coffee, you can by a book for $10 if you want, over a week before they are officially available, I’ll sign it, we’ll take pictures and laugh and hang out Friday afternoon or something?

5. So…. do you wanna hang out? Let me know if you live there and have any interest in meeting up. This will for sure be my only trip out that way in 2012 [unless some crazy opportunity sends me back] and I would hate to miss the chance to meet you!

6. Anything else I need to know about Portland?

[and because I never stop on the #6….]

7. Anything else I need to know, you know, about life in general? I’m all ears.

Portlanders, come out come out wherever you are! Let’s be friends!

1. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:56 AM  |  reply

Hi, I’m not from Portland (I am from South Africa!) but I wanted to talk about your blog.

I use IE and the top looks all squashed up. Shall I send you a screen print?

PS have fun in Portland.
    PPS I was in Charlotte a few weeks ago on a wonderful holiday after the She Speaks conference.

• Beth
      posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:16 PM  |  reply

Actually Annie I get the squished up look on IE too. I didn’t like to say. πŸ™

2. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 8:02 AM  |  reply

Powells Books!!! you MUST go there! πŸ™‚

3. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM  |  reply

I agree wholeheartedly with Kelsey–you must go to Powell’s! There’s no other bookstore quite like it!

4. Jen
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM  |  reply

A must eat- Mother’s Bistro…breakfast with the french press coffee is awesome!

5. Beth
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM  |  reply

Yes- Powell’s books- fo sure!. And Multnomah Falls. If you can at all travel and drive around the Columbian River Gorge area- one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen! It’s a great city, Annie. I enjoyed every minute of my time there!

6. Leanna
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM  |  reply

Voodoo Donuts- I know the name is kinda off putting but they have really good donuts. VERY unique flavors.
    I had the Lemon Chiffon crueller & something else but I don’t think they make that flavor anymore. Keep in mind though, get there early if you’re going to go. We had to stand in line.

• Kimberly
      posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM  |  reply

Yes, I have seen Voodoo donuts featured on FoodTV. Go! Report back to us about your findings!

• posted on Aug 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM  |  reply

I second Voodoo donuts. My fav is the maple bacon bar. Seriously.

7. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM  |  reply

Definitely head to Powell’s books!

8. Amy Carpenter
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM  |  reply

find yourself some Stumptown Coffee. It will change your life.

• posted on Aug 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM  |  reply

And I second Stumptown Coffee too! Seriously.

9. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM  |  reply

I grew up about an hour north of Portland. LOVE! Totally go to Powell’s and Multnomah Falls is my favorite place in the whole wide world. So pretty. Downtown Portland in general has an amazing vibe. Have a blast!!! Can’t wait to hear your highlights! πŸ™‚

10. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

whelp, im not in Portland (stuck in Cali…sigh)…but have you ever heard of Portlandia? It’s a skit show that captures the “hipster-stuck-in-the-90s” essence of Portland (read: I LOVE IT!). This video makes me laugh every time I see it and, since you’re heading to Portland, I thought I would share…: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XM3vWJmpfo

11. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM  |  reply

The Montage for dinner! It’s under the Morrison Bridge in an old warehouse. Very eclectic and weird (true to Portland) with great food. Their menu errs on the Cajun side but there are lots of options… especially involving macaroni. Have fun!!

12. Stephanie
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM  |  reply

Ditto to what Beth said. If you like to see pretty sights, it is well worth your time to go to Multanomah Falls as well as drive in the Columbia River Gorge. Beyooootiful.

Too bad you aren’t headed toward the coast. One of my favorite of all favorite restaurants is about an hour out of Portland. Check out the website (and yes, their food is GOOD). http://www.camp18restaurant.com/ (Ok, maybe I like it so much cuz I’m from the west. It isn’t fancy, but definitely fun and a unique atmosphere).

13. Susan B
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM  |  reply

I don’t live in Portland…but I want to go with you!!! Hope you have a great time! :o)

14. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM  |  reply

Must See – Powell’s Books!! Amazing! I wish we had one in ATL.

Must Do – eat a meal from one of the Food Trucks…we had great Chinese food there one night!

Must Eat – Voodoo’s Donuts (crazy donut shop, but so unique! Make sure you try the Arnold Palmer donut. Yum!

I went to Portland for the first time this past February for the Justice Conference and fell in love with the city. Sooo different than the south! The public transportation is awesome…free within the City Center so just hop on and off and it will get you to where you need to go. πŸ™‚

Great to see you last Saturday!!

15. Wendy
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM  |  reply

1) The Grotto
    2) ride the speedboats on the Willamette River
    3) VooDoo Donuts *or* Mac & Cheesery
    4) could we plan it for a different weekend?! πŸ˜‰
    5) totally … a different weekend?! πŸ˜‰
    6) best. city. ever.
    7) Can’t wait to read “Perfectly Unique”!

16. Rachel
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:34 PM  |  reply

Agree with Voodoo Donuts!
    Also Pok Pok to eat. And Salt and Straw for ice cream. πŸ™‚

17. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM  |  reply

So jealous of Portland people! I’m all the way in coastal SC (think Charleston, SC). It’s a beautiful area but there’s no Annie Downs here in Charleston. πŸ™

• posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM  |  reply

I was going to say the same thing! Charleston is a beautiful place to visit πŸ˜‰

18. posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

OH MY GOSH ANNIE.
    OH MY GOSH.
    PLEASE HANG OUT WITH ME.
    please.
    oh my gosh.
    seriously.
    voodoo, powell’s, stumptown, multnomah falls…

anyway. i might be a little tiny bit excited about you being here. :/

19. Amy
    posted on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM  |  reply

I was just in Portland visiting and I had some really, really yummy mexican food at a place called Por que no? I also really enjoyed the rose garden (who knew there are so many kinds??) and a pretty amazing pesto grilled cheese sandwich from a food truck…it was divine. Have fun!

20. Carrie K
    posted on Aug 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM  |  reply

Im three hours away from Portland…meeting you just might be a great excuse for a road trip!!

21. posted on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:49 AM  |  reply

Powell’s books is a must! I’m not from Portland, but have visited and it is an Amazing bookstore that you cannot miss! There is also an open market under a bridge – lots of artsy things that you might enjoy. Problem is, I don’t remember where it is since I’m not from there. Maybe someone from the area can help me out.

22. posted on Aug 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM  |  reply