American Football.

on August 30, 2012 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 22 comments by

I just need to express my excitement.

While I am terribly grateful for the opportunity to live in Scotland last year, it came at a price. I missed the entire Georgia Bulldog regular season.

I’m sure that’s what is meant by “suffering for the Gospel.”

But not this year. No siree. The dawgs play on Saturday, Vanderbilt and South Carolina play tonight here in Nashville, the Falcons and the Titans are finishing up pre-season. All and all, it’s the most wonderful time of the year.

Also, I need for us to talk about this Falcons Titans situation in which I find myself.

I love the Falcons. I’ve cheered for them my whole life. Literally. Since my Dad never had a son, it was my pleasure to play the role of “son you take to sporting events.” It’s all the NFL I knew. You guys. I wore a Deion Sanders jersey to school at least once a week in the 8th grade.

What I’m saying is, my relationship with the Falcons was pretty serious.

And now, here I sit in Nashville, where my pals all love the Titans and I’m feeling this tug on my heart. The colors are beautiful and the games are really fun. Some of the players go to our church. I mean, if I’m gonna end up marrying an offensive lineman, it’s probably going to be a Titan at this point. [I have some goals. Did you know?]

So. You see my problem.

Do I stay true to my first love of the Atlanta Falcons or is it okay for me to change allegiances to my current hometown team?

Now listen. When it comes to college sports, fear thee not.

It’s always great to be a Georgia Bulldog. I will cheer for Vandy because I live here and love those people, but when it is Georgia vs. Vandy, I have no allegiance issues.

Not to mention, my closet is full of red and black. Which may be a deciding factor in the Falcon Titan Dilemma of 2012.

Best. Problem. Ever.

FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!

. . . . .

Do you like football? Who do you cheer for every Saturday? Do you have an NFL team too?Β

Do you have a vote on whether I cheer for the Falcons or the Titans? Opinions welcome.

1. Meredith Savage
    posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM  |  reply

Ha! My family lives in Nashville, and my fiance’ is an Atlanta transplant who LOVES his Braves and Falcons. I follow Peyton Manning personally, so this year my allegiance has shifted to the Broncos.

• posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM  |  reply

Sounds like a good guy. πŸ™‚

2. posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM  |  reply

I say cheer for both….unless they are playing each other (like your Georgia/Vandy idea). Then go with your gut. I think it is perfectly ok to cheer for several different teams.

I’m a lifelong Texan, so the Cowboys are my team. However, my alma mater now has a good handful of young players trying to make it in the NFL, so I will at least follow those teams a bit to see if they are doing well. I just love my Sunday afternoon soundtrack to be football games!

I don’t follow college ball quite that much, but do have several friends that are die hard fans, so I pay a little bit of attention.

• posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM  |  reply

It’s crazy how attached we feel to players, huh? I still keep up with some of the Georgia boyz who are spread out across the NFL.

Thanks for the advice. Gotta trust my heart on this one.
      (Using important language for less than important topics? Classic Annie.)

3. Grogan
    posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM  |  reply

No worries…the Titans are in the AFC, Falcons in the NFC, so now you can have a team on each side

• posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM  |  reply

I can always count on you to keep me level-headed, Matt. πŸ™‚

4. posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM  |  reply

You could do what you do with GA & Vandy! Titans when you can but against each other Falcons, all the way.

I don’t really follow football but I am a Tim Tebow fan!! πŸ™‚

• posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM  |  reply

Me too, Tonya. And yes, I think that is the path I shall choose. Thanks! πŸ™‚

5. posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM  |  reply

Gooooooo Dawgs!
    This is my favorite time of year for sure!

6. posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM  |  reply

I am a Florida Gator fan which is bad because I live in North Alabama and am surrounded by CRAZY die-hard Alabama fans! πŸ™‚
    I don’t really follow the NFL, but I do follow Tim Tebow!

7. posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM  |  reply

Gooo Georgia Bulldogs- I can hear the tune already! Can’t wait! But this whole Falcon situation, I can’t relate to. I’ve never followed the falcons, even though I’ve been a GA girl my whole life. I say catch you a linebacker and switch sides πŸ˜‰

8. posted on Aug 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM  |  reply

I agree – being away from the States during football season is hard! I’m a Broncos fan and excited to see football again after my last 3 years in Kenya. I think you can root for both and not feel bad about it. Enjoy the season, colors and the linemen. πŸ™‚

9. posted on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM  |  reply

I am a Alabama Fan!! ROLL TIDE!! I say pull for both unless they play each other then pull for falcons. ( cause they have Julio Jones lol ) I don’t really care that much for NFL Other than watching some of my favorite college players like Julio, Tebow, Percy Harvin and Trent Richardson. πŸ™‚ I am like you… LOVE this time of year!

10. merideth
    posted on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:18 AM  |  reply

Well, girl, you know I’m a Georgia girl all the way in college football. In the NFL I go Patriots first an Falcons second because I grew up in New England. I always go with my pro teams I grew up with, and the Atlanta ones second. I have the same struggle with baseball with the red sox and braves. I like them both. So, since they are in seperit leagues(AL and NL) I can root for both until they play each other, and then I go for old faithful(Boston) when they play each other. Nothing wrong with having a second favorite. I actually do follow the Detroit lions now, too. Partly because a Georgia guy is on the team, but mainly because I found out a guy I grew up with is one of the deffensive coaches for the team. So, now I want to see them do well too.

11. posted on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM  |  reply

We ate boiled peanuts while watching the Carolina/Vanderbilt game here last night
    Go Cocks! Sorry.

The Redskins and the Broncos were my favorites back in the day, but now I don’t watch pro football as much. I guess I should pull for the Panthers now that the Carolinas actually have a pro team…

12. posted on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:31 AM  |  reply

Football time in Tennessee means one thing and one thing only – GO VOLS! Currently transplanted to DC and wearing my orange and singing Rocky Top for the game tonight. No other college team for me!

I kind of have the NFL home team dilemma as well. I didn’t know there was anything other than college football until I was in Denver for grad school so my home team is the Broncos… but the people here are passionate about the Redskins. So I figure as long as cheering them on doesn’t hurt Denver, why not?

PS – I love that you love football! πŸ™‚

13. Carrie K
    posted on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM  |  reply

Im an NFL girl…but sadly i dont have a team right now!! Im looking to pick one this year. Sadly, the decision may come down to what color they wear…haahahaa..im SUCH a girl!

oh…and i ate steak last night…thought of you and giggled a little πŸ™‚ hope your bible doesnt still smell of beef…

14. posted on Aug 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM  |  reply

when i got married i was a cowboy fan marrying into a redskin loving family. i was also a duke fan marrying into a unc tarheel family. major rivalries going on there. when our first child was born hubby said i had to give up one of the rivalries… we could not have a house divided but so much. so i decided to give up the cowboys (that was about 15 years ago when so many of their players were getting in trouble off the field so it really was not difficult) plus i could not bear to not cheer for duke! so we are pretty much a washington redskin cheering family. college basketball is still an interesting season!

15. posted on Aug 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM  |  reply

I am a Penn State Nittany Lion through and through! It’s been a very tough year for Penn Staters, but I am excited about our upcoming season!

16. posted on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:51 PM  |  reply

Are you going to cling to the past or embrace the future? Embrace it, Annie. Embrace it.

Go Titans! Whoop.

17. posted on Sep 01, 2012 at 1:31 PM  |  reply

I am so excited that Football is back. My wife and I are living in South Florida and I am a Michgian Fan. To many SEC and ACC fans around here for me. GO BLUE!

You gotta stay true to your home team!

18. posted on Sep 03, 2012 at 11:43 AM  |  reply

Very cool post! Props to you for loving football season. It excites me too – just want it to cool off more. It feels better to watch a game in a sweatshirt πŸ™‚
    I grew up in NC – so ACC basketball was always my thing. But then I moved to Auburn, AL for grad school and oh my… SEC football has been one of the most fun experiences I have had.
    So on Saturdays I pull for Auburn – a hearty War Eagle! And b/c of our Heisman winner a few years ago, I also pull for the Carolina Panthers – go Cam! I love that he ended up in my home state.
    And my BFF from my Auburn days is a Georgia fan. She has an almost one year old whom she dresses in adorable dawgs gear – so I compelled to give a “Go Dawgs!” shout out this past Saturday on her FB page.