Why jokes? And when I reached my limit.

on October 2, 2012 in 31 Days of Jokes with 12 comments by

Sunday morning.

That’s when I reached my limit, when I realized that I had asked more of my body than it could sustain. Physically. Spiritually. Emotionally. All of it.

In the last month or so, I’ve released a book, written and released a 30 Day Devotional, traveled nine different times, logged a bazillion air miles [not the exact count, but you know…], and spoken in front of thousands of girls. And that’s not counting my time with friends, college ministry responsibilities, and writing two chapters of the next book.

[THE NEXT BOOK!?!? Wait patiently, grasshoppers.]

This isn’t bragging. It’s my job. You probably could make a “life is a little zany” list as well- whether it be school work or kids or travel or hours at your job or in the classroom or on the internet. We all are busy.

But I reached my limit. I didn’t know I had one until my face was so firmly pushed up against the “I need a break” brick wall that it was leaving an imprint on my face.

So, thanks to a major deadline getting moved to this week, I was able to back out of attending and blogging at a major conference. Good move for my career? Not so much. Good move for my soul? For sure.

Once the decision was made Sunday morning, something on my insides collapsed. I can’t explain it except to say that the more I tried to get out of bed, the less it was possible. I finished Season 5 of Alias, I caught up on reading blogs, I slept. I didn’t even eat, y’all. And when 5pm came and it was time to go to church, it was like pulling a human from a muddy pit.

I slept a lot of hours Sunday night. And then I fell apart again on Monday and found my eyes closing while standing in line at the DMV. I napped Monday afternoon, did not answer a single email until 5pm, and by Monday night, I began to feel human again.

I’m not sad. I’m not sick. My insides and my outsides were just taxed.

. . . . .

There is so so much I am having to learn right now in my life.

• What are my limits? [Apparently they were BACK THERE somewhere and I missed them.]
  • How much of my life do I want to share?
  • What does privacy feel like to me?
  • How do I do this career well but allow myself to make mistakes and learn in this?
  • How do I stay connected to Jesus in all of this and fight off the lies that the enemy is pouring into my life?

It’s hard, y’all. Hard to know how to do this. I’m just not so good at this life yet.

. . . . .

So I decided to tell jokes. Jokes lighten everything. Jokes soothe me in ways that other forms of writing don’t. This month should be really fun as I have some of my favorite people telling you some jokes, we’ll have a few joke competitions, and I’ll tell you the ones that I can’t quit laughing about.

But if there is one thing that is true of us around here, we are honest. If the joke isn’t funny, you can say. If the author is exhausted, she’s gonna say. Neither of us gain anything if we walk this season quietly. So I won’t. I’ll tell you the good things about releasing my first traditionally published book, and I’ll tell you the hard things, like exhaustion and my bank account overdrafting because I forgot to pay myself [self-employment fail].

. . . . .

I’m gonna be fine. I promise. And I’m not going to quit. That’s for sure. I’m just going to try to rest sooner, write more, and laugher harder. Yay for jokes.

Do you love jokes, too? What does a good joke do for your soul?

1. posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 7:06 AM  |  reply

I love a good joke. Laughter is so healing. I’m horrible at telling jokes because I’m a details person. Ruins it. But I’m a good listener and I’ve been told I have a great laugh,
    minus the snorts when I’m really rolling.

I told my son the joke from yesterday. His response? A puzzled look, the lightbulb going off look, and then the laughter. He immediately asked for another one. Keep ’em coming, please.

I’m glad you backed off that brick wall.

2. posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 8:08 AM  |  reply

thank you for bringing us a month of giggles. it is so easy to get caught up in the hustle & bustle of life that we forget to laugh sometimes. i am horrible at telling jokes so thank you. i intend on sharing the jokes with my family each day. yesterday’s was a huge hit!

3. Becca
    posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Ok so I totally feel you – limits and margin are apparently not my strong point … Love the jokes and laughing – so good for the soul 🙂

4. posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

So great! I love jokes AND Alias!!!! Though it is difficult to smile when I think of how much I miss Sydney Bristow kicking tail on the screen… 🙂

5. posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

Laughter becomes such a small thing in our lives once we get older. We don’t realize it but in our busyness we rarely laugh and that’s a shame for our soul. A merry heart is good medicine. Thanks for offering some merriment for our heavy and too-busy hearts!

6. Amy
    posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 6:14 PM  |  reply

ALIAS!!!!!!!

That is all.

Actually, no it’s not. Alias started when I started college. At the end of the premier my best friend and I turned to each other in awe. It was the first show that we set up “no interruptions” rules for. The first show I could NOT miss a single episode of. Before Lost, before Glee, before How I Met Your Mother.

So you know. ALIAS!!! *Now* that is all.

7. posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 7:24 PM  |  reply

laughter is such a beautiful, essential part of life. i don’t believe in laughing quietly or politely. i mean think about it – what is even happening when a group of people are laughing together? it’s so weird to watch, kind of hard to explain.. but it is so contagious. i think laughter is the most essential part of life, perhaps only just behind loving.

so i love a good joke because it makes me laugh and it is darn near impossible to be fully consumed with laughter and worrying about life or feeling sadness. it is medicine for the soul, but i think someone else deserves credit for that.

8. posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 8:25 PM  |  reply

Annie: I am pretty sure we would be best friends in real life. I know about this margin thing. Only b/c I have slammed into a few too many brick walls myself. I am learning to at least see the wall coming – can’t say that I have learned to stop slamming into it yet…..

I have learned I have my own rhythm. It looks different then other people’s rhythms, but that is ok. It is ok to be someone that goes 17678327463mph straight into a brick wall and then needs to rest a bit. It really is – just let yourself rest and maybe take some advil before you hit the wall again. 🙂

9. gmh
    posted on Oct 02, 2012 at 10:49 PM  |  reply

Rest, dear. Just rest.

10. posted on Oct 03, 2012 at 8:48 PM  |  reply

Sometimes a joke is the only thing that gets me through the day. I teach middle schoolers, so I usually have lots of things to make me laugh during the day.

11. posted on Oct 03, 2012 at 10:16 PM  |  reply

I am right there with you with the imprint in my face too. Since when did rest become such a hard thing to do??? Jokes…what a super smart idea! Makes me think of Uncle Billy from Jan Karon’s Mitford series. Get some rest…………………..Fill yourself up so that you are better able to pour yourself out.

12. posted on Oct 04, 2012 at 12:14 AM  |  reply

I agree with Caroline! I’m very thankful for a month of jokes. I love jokes but I’m really bad at telling them. Thanks for sharing!