365 Days Ago.

on November 26, 2012 in Scotland with 9 comments by

365 days ago, Georgia beat Georgia Tech and I watched from a hotel room overlooking the stadium in downtown Atlanta. I remember wishing I talk to my best friend in Scotland, Esther.

366 days ago,ย it was the Friday after Thanksgiving and my internal clock was still completely whackadoodle, from living six hours ahead for the previous six months.

368 days ago, I landed in Atlanta and my first stop was the Waffle House.

370 days ago, I left my home in Edinburgh, Scotland. It will always remain one of the saddest days of my life.

371 days ago, I wept saying goodbye to a houseful of my friends [that feel like family] in North Berwick, a beautiful Scottish beach town, where we had all gathered to celebrate a birthday. It was good for me, to have something else to celebrate, as I was leaving. Goodbye parties give me the heebie-jeebies [when they are for me].

. . . . .

I can’t believe it has been a year. It feel like I lived there last week and it feels like it never happened. Do you know what I mean? I just scrolled through some of my posts from last year and it just catches deep in me and brings tears to the surface again and again.

[PS- Do you remember that I got to see ADELE in Edinburgh?!? Or that I got electrocuted? Two of my favorite Scotland stories.]

You know what? I miss it a little every day. At some point of every single day, I think of a friend or a place or a memory and some high pitch string gets plucked in my heart. It will always be my other home.

I absolutely loved my life there. I love my friends- don’t even get me started fine I’ll show you a picture.

I just miss them to bits. And I have for the last 368 days… minus those few in July when I was back visiting. I didn’t miss them then. So… 359 days? ๐Ÿ™‚

My life since getting home to Nashville has been insane- a book deal with Zondervan, dating stories that will make you scream with laugher, speaking with Girls of Grace, heartbreaking moments, volunteering with the Cross Point college ministry – some high highs and some low lows. I’m sure you can relate.

I left Edinburgh unsure of my next step professionally, I had no home to live in, and I didn’t know where to plug in ministry wise. God was smiling through all those tearful questioning prayers, I am sure, as He provided in amazing ways that only a living God could do.

And I am having a great time.

But.

I miss Edinburgh.

Nothing is free, is it? Nothing that matters comes without some cost attached, and I think that is good. To live in Edinburgh, it cost me time with people in Nashville. To live in Nashville costs me my life in Edinburgh. Things that cost us must be things that have worth to us- things that matter.

Nashville matters to me. Edinburgh matters to me. My hometown matters to me.

And someday, time and distance won’t keep friends apart.

Until then, the days will pass and I’ll search for cheap-ish flights overseas and skype calls will be challenging to schedule. I’ll embrace what God has set before me- all the pieces that He is weaving together- and I’ll be content, knowing that He knows me and is for me and His plans are greater than mine could ever be.

And that is true every day.

. . . . .

What were you doing 365 days ago?

1. posted on Nov 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM  |  reply

You make me want to visit Scotland every time you write about the country and its people. I’m praying for your peace and contentment as you do His will, Annie.

365 days ago at this time I was arriving at Samaritan’s Purse Warehouse in Charlotte to work in processing all the shoe boxes donated to that great cause. It’s something I’ve done for over 10 years and I love it. Praying over those boxes, inspecting them and packing them in cartons before they are shipped to countries all over the world is such a privilege. Each box is a potential soul for the Lord.

2. posted on Nov 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM  |  reply

365 days ago I was living in Portugal. Had just gotten back from a week away and was preparing to get back into the routine of teaching and “real life.” I’ve found myself missing Portugal and all of my students and friends there quite a bit the last few weeks. It’s complicated, this leaving parts of your heart in different places.

3. Hillary
    posted on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM  |  reply

I love this “And someday, time and distance won’t keep friends apart” ๐Ÿ™‚

4. posted on Nov 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM  |  reply

Oh, you had to ask, didn’t you? (Big sigh.) I was in the process of trying to pack up my family of 5 to move to Peru. For like 10 years. (Big sigh.) I think on that day I thought we would still be “home” for Christmas, but I wasn’t sure. Turned out that we got the green light and the push and we in our new home for Christmas. So yep, I totally get the cost factor and what it means to have more than one home. Because while Peru is home to me now, California will always be my other home. And I’ve never longed for heaven more.

5. Megan
    posted on Nov 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM  |  reply

I don’t remember 365 days ago. I wish I did. I suspect it was a lot like my life is now. Getting stressed at the idea of finals and everything that needs to be done before then. Though I didn’t know it at the time, it was also the beginnings of events which would make my heart ache and my life much different but would turn me into a better, stronger person.

I wonder what 365 days from now will look like. If the aches will be healed then. What God has in store for the future. I don’t think it’s going to look like the present. But then, I’m okay with that.

6. Andrea
    posted on Nov 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM  |  reply

This was great Annie. Replace “Scotland” with “Nepal” and that was me 2,960 days ago. That love and desire never ends…..

Now how about some comic relief with a few of those funny dating stories? You can change names right?!

7. posted on Nov 26, 2012 at 10:18 PM  |  reply

Hold up….so dating stories that will make you scream with laughter….can we meet up for coffee and I share some stories with you too!

Or can you just start on a book about it for us older girls!

• Hillary
      posted on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM  |  reply

I second the request for a book for us older girls ๐Ÿ˜‰ And dating stories are fun, especially when accompanied by screaming laughter. I’d like to read some of those ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Stephanie
    posted on Nov 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

I’m with Larissa, we need to hear about these “dating stories that will make you scream with laugher.” ๐Ÿ™‚

365 days ago? Doing pretty much what I am doing right now…work and homework. Livin’ in the city. Single. Learning to be content.

Today I am loving life more than I ever thought possible (and still single). Yup, it IS possible. ๐Ÿ˜‰