Quit Facebook for money?

on February 12, 2013 in Gal Stuff with 6 comments by

Here's the agreement between Paul Baier and his 14-year-old daughter, who he's paying $200 to quit Facebook for five months.

I read this article last week and thought it was so fascinating.

A Dad in Boston paid his teen daughter $200 to quit Facebook for five months.

What are the reasons behind this?

They don’t say. The article says it was the daughter’s idea.

I wonder….

was she being bullied?

were her grades suffering?

was she feeling left out or unloved?

did she just need a break from the added social pressures that the internet has brought to teenagers?

I don’t know. But I get it. About twice I week I feel like running from the internet and I promise you my Dad could call me tomorrow and make a similar offer and I would truly consider it.

But my favorite part of this whole deal? She’s gonna buy some “stuff.” Teenagers are hilarious.

. . . . .

What do you think of this? Do you see merit in it? Is this something you’d consider for the student in your life? Why or why not?

1. ~VA~
    posted on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:42 AM  |  reply

I think it is kinda funny/cute to read about…but if she doesn’t want to be on facebook it is kind of silly to pay her to not do what she wasn’t going to do anyway, and if she does still want to be on facebook, a new account that she blocks her parents from is only about a minute away…

2. posted on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM  |  reply

I read that this came about because she realized she was too distracted by Facebook and wanted an incentive to stay off of it, so she asked her dad if he would pay her to stay off until the end of the school year. I wonder if my boss would pay me to stay off of Facebook? Oh wait, he already does. 🙂

3. posted on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:47 PM  |  reply

I honestly wish someone would do this for me. I think about taking a long social media break at least once a day. If anyone wants to fund my motivation, they’re welcome to!

4. Tory
    posted on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM  |  reply

I actually just quit my Facebook a few days ago and no one paid me to do it!

5. posted on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

I’m pretty sure I would quit Facebook for 50cents. I hate it! BUT, then my gigs and stuff would suffer:(

thanks for sharing, I loved this!

6. posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM  |  reply

I quit Facebook a few years ago now, as I realised that it wasn’t how I wanted to communicate with my friends. I prefer face to face contact, phone calls etc. However it has been HARD! I could totally have done with some financial motivation!