Write on her walls.

on June 13, 2013 in Gal Stuff, Speak Love with 11 comments by

bilde

(photo credit: Ioanna Raptis)

I read this article yesterday about Operation Beautiful at York Middle School. To summarize, these girls took the idea of Operation Beautiful, leaving encouraging sticky notes around for other girls, and decided to paint permanent ones in their middle school bathrooms. So after school, the fifth grade girls worked with the eighth grade girls to cover the walls with words that build up.

I didn’t look in the mirror in middle school much, especially not in the school bathroom. But I read every word you put in front of me. I’d have read those sticky notes. And then maybe I would have been okay looking in the mirror.

Teen Annie would have loved this campaign. It’s so powerful.

I wonder if you have a teenager in your house or in your life that needs you to write on her walls?

“It’s going to be okay!”

“You are the cutest!”

“God did good work when He made you!”

“You are loved!”

This isn’t a profound thought – it is what the Bible has said all along. Words kill, and words give life (Proverbs 18:21). And middle school girls kind of have a master’s degree in words of death, but these girls? And the Operation Beautiful girls? They are doing it different and they are doing it right.

It doesn’t take much. I can’t tell you how many times I wrote that in Speak Love – IT DOESN’T TAKE A BOOK TO CHANGE SOMEONE’S LIFE, IT TAKES A SENTENCE.

Kind words are like honey (Proverbs 16:24) and it doesn’t take a lot of honey to sweeten a situation.

But trust me when I say, even if school is out and she’s not around the bully, and even if she isn’t saying it out loud, and even if she has great self-esteem, your teen girl could use some honey dripping into her soul.

Will you write on her walls?

Will you say the thing that gives long term hope and love?

Will you sticky note her life with words of love?

I’ve shoved some sticky notes in my purse today and I just may be that girl who puts a word of encouragement on the bathroom mirror when I meet a friend for lunch. Or I may just hand a few notes to the girls I’m meeting for manicures this afternoon.

All I know is that this world is full of ugly words meant to destroy the hearts of the young women in your life.

Be the voice of truth. Be the voice of reason. Be the voice of love.

Write on her walls.

1. posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:17 AM  |  reply

I can do this! I would have loved to have read encouraging words like these when I was younger. I even like reading them now. 😉

2. posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM  |  reply

Love this. Just … love.

When I was a youth leader, we would routinely mark a wall at retreats as the e-wall. (This was in the dark ages, before text messaging and email.) It was the wall where people could leave encouraging notes for each other, anonymously. Before every group session, that wall was scoured. (And even I, as a leader, kept all my notes. I still have them.)

Words are powerful.

3. posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM  |  reply

This is just a beautiful thing to do! Love it! AND I will be doing it.

4. Merideth
    posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

This is really cool. I had not heard about this. I looked on the operation beautiful website and noticed they have a couple of books. Have you read them? Do you know if they are any good?
    Thanks for sharing this, and I completely agree with you on the power words have on our lives. I love hearing encouraging words. When I have notes from people I read them over and over again(especially when I am having a hard time). They mean a lot to me. I wish movements like this existed when I was a kid/teen. It would have made a big difference in my life.

5. posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM  |  reply

Simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I’ve heard of people doing the same thing for their loved one’s weight scales, too!

6. Patricia
    posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be writing on my daughters walls everyday. ????

• Patricia
      posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM  |  reply

Whoops! I meant to put !!! Points and not ??? Marks. 😉

7. Hillary
    posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM  |  reply

SUCH a great idea!!! I might have to start doing this 🙂

8. posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM  |  reply

As a middle school teacher, I LOVE THIS IDEA!! Cannot wait to try something like this in my classroom or even in life. I like the idea of leaving a random sticky not on a mirror in a bathroom with a note of encouragement!

9. posted on Jun 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM  |  reply

That’s pretty awesome! Words are so important. I can imagine this act will help girls for generations! Amy

10. Alena
    posted on Jun 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM  |  reply

I love this so much! Thank you for sharing, Annie!