Why I’m excited to go to Birmingham

on July 30, 2013 in Two Free Birds with 9 comments by

I would now like to make a list for you of all the reasons I am excited to go to Birmingham this weekend.

Ahem.

Let’s begin.

1. This event. I’m REALLY excited. Really.

BHam

2. I’ve written a brand new, fresh out of the oven talk for Friday night. So the first time I do a new talk I get all nervous and butterfly-ey and giggly and I practice my jokes one bazillion times before I get there. Ah…. I love new talks.

3. I love being anywhere Ellie Holcomb is. Plain and simple.

4. The drive from Nashville to Birmingham is really nice and fairly uneventful EXCEPT for…

5. Huntsville, Alabama. I’m going to ask Ellie if we can stop at the US Space Center because I’d like some astronaut ice cream.

6. I have lots of friends that I LURVE in and around Birmingham. And though it says high school/college girls, please know that if you are anywhere near enough that you’d want to drive to this event, you are welcome!

7. Ellie doesn’t know this yet, but we’re gonna make a video. And I bet it will be funny. So I’m looking forward to that.

8. I absolutely positively love being around high school and college girls. I think they are awesome.

9. When Ellie and I travel together, we have a thing called a “rider.” The rider is a document that tells the venue what type of things we need, like microphones and stuff, but also, snacks for the green room. And on our rider is fresh fruit. I get very excited when someone offers me fruit, especially in the summer. [If you want a laugh, google famous people’s riders. Folks be crazy.]

10. THIS VENUE. I love The Barn- it is such a cool space. I love every opportunity I get to hang here. You should come check it out. Seriously. Fancy pants stuff, y’all. It’s niiiiiiiiiiice.

I hope you can make it Friday night if you are anywhere near to us. Here’s the event on facebook – will you share it with any of your BHam peeps? And here’s the place to buy tickets.

[By the way, if you guys want Ellie and I to come your way this school year, totes doable! HAVE JOKES WILL TRAVEL. 🙂 Just let us know using this contact form!]

Also, hundreds of folks have already jumped on the pre-order bandwagon for Speak Love [eek! so fun!], but Zondervan is letting this deal keep rolling. So go ahead and buy your copy and get tons of free goodies while you’re at it!

. . . . .

Okay, so for this video Ellie and I are going to make but she doesn’t know it yet. Anything particular you want to see? Or anything you want to ask either of us? Or anything stupid you want to see us do?

1. Camille
    posted on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:20 AM  |  reply

2 words-Davenports Pizza. A must have in b’ham. it’s life changing.

2. posted on Jul 30, 2013 at 6:08 AM  |  reply

Her voice is angelic.
    it sounds like quite the night. Have fun!

3. Merideth
    posted on Jul 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM  |  reply

Wish I could be there. Sounds awesome. Praying for you an Ellie and that your new talk goes fabulous. You’ll be awesome girl!

4. Anna
    posted on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM  |  reply

Our church has hosted a number of concerts for Christian artists and it really surprised me how specific some of them could be on their riders! One rider requested unsalted tortilla chips. What’s the point of a tortilla chip if it isn’t salted??? I will say that all of the artists were gracious though. Sometimes I wonder if their managers put that stuff in there just to see if we were paying attention 🙂

5. posted on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM  |  reply

Check out Doodle’s Italian Ice if you love icees and Steel City Pops if you like popsicles (because really. Who doesn’t love icees and popsicles?).

Also Magic Muffins if you love muffins. Just some advice from a local Birminghamian 🙂

6. posted on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM  |  reply

As someone who has reviewed many a rider in her day, I will say some can be laugh worthy. However if you go back to the “only brown M&Ms” clause in Van Halen’s contract, you’ll understand the specificity of some artists. It’s for safety and security of themselves, their fans and their crew.

Others are just ridiculous, like 24 white handtowels freshly laundered for 3 guys. I don’t even…

7. posted on Jul 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM  |  reply

I wish I lived in USA so I could go to one of your events. Have so much fun!

8. posted on Jul 31, 2013 at 8:08 AM  |  reply

I’ll be there! Can’t wait!

9. cbed
    posted on Aug 02, 2013 at 8:51 AM  |  reply

I just want to know who will be watching your purse.