Let’s have some fun.

on August 12, 2013 in 31 Days of Fun with 24 comments by

fun

I love having fun.

I mean, I spend a portion of every day trying to thing of ways to add fun to whatever activity I am doing. I’ve heard through the grapevine that some people think about how to find “quiet” and others think about how to find “peace” in their daily lives, but me? I look for fun. And extra fun.

Going to lunch with friends is fun. But going somewhere NEW is extra fun.

Going to the lake is fun. But paddleboarding is extra fun.

Going to the movies is fun. Going to the late showing at the last second in sweat pants is extra fun.

[Obviously. All subjective.]

I think it’s okay to look for fun.

Just last night in Zumba class, there were two girls taking things FAR. TOO. SERIOUSLY. I mean, they were trying very very hard to keep their heart rate up and turn the dance moves into aerobics moves.

Mainly, they were sucking the fun out of the room. And that’s no bueno to me because Zumba is one of the few [VERY FEW] exercises I have found to be fun. So a fun-sucker in the room is quite unwelcome.

Here are some other things I think are fun:

• county fairs
  • reading by the pool
  • dancing at wedding receptions
  • Georgia football games
  • Cheering for Vanderbilt baseball games
  • pinterest
  • laughing with friends
  • trying new beauty products
  • attending country music concerts
  • going on walks in Scotland
  • hanging out with my friends

Ok- so I’m telling you all this fun information [literally] for a reason.

I want to know- what do you think is fun? I’m making a list…. a long list… of fun things. And I want your help.

So what do you think is fun? Hobbies? People to hang out with? Places to go? Food to eat/cook?

List on, listers. Let’s do this.

1. KR
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:47 AM  |  reply

I think getting slimed by puppies is way fun. Also swinging with reckless abandon (you know, at a park, on a swing) while the little kids (who are supposed to be there) look at you like you’re a crazy old lady.

2. Lisa C
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:53 AM  |  reply

coloring in coloring books! new school supplies! going to movies by yourself and treating yourself to an icee and M&Ms because no one is there to judge you!

3. Merideth
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM  |  reply

I love this post! I am so with you on people taking things too seriously and sucking the fun out of things. Well, I find fun several of the things you mentioned….Hanging out with friends(specifically having good talks), and Georgia football. I also have to add Patriots football and Red Sox and Braves baseball. Going to sporting events is fun to me and watching certain ones on television. Anything you do at the beach. Shopping with friends or my nieces. Getting a dairy queen blizard. When I could see drawing was fun, but now I am struggling to find an art medium I find fun. Tubing or rafting. Riding roller coasters. Amusement parks and slides at water parks. Riding horses or playing with other animals. going to restaurants or other places I’ve never been to. Traveling either to a new place or visit friends in a place you have been to. Eating raw cookie dough. Ordering pizza and watching a movie with a friend. baking. worship music. Singing. Laughing so hard your side hurts and there are tears coming out of your eyes. almost any kind of fellowship with friends is fun to me. hiking. Apple picking. OK, I am going on forever here, so I think I’ll stop now.

4. Merideth
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM  |  reply

I forgot about having girls nights in or out. Doing make-overs or other girly things. OH, and spa treatments are awesome! OK, I promise I am done now.

5. Allyssa
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM  |  reply

Painting my nails (especially when it’s a really bright color)

Gilmore Girls marathons with my friends

Listening to Disney music

Writing and receiving “snail mail”

6. posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM  |  reply

LOVE me some fun! (great list!)

1. Playing in the pouring down rain
    2. outdoor movies
    3. Grilling out with friends
    4. Convos and friends with a good porch swing
    5. Margaritas in Hammocks
    6. Skydiving
    7. Getting my groove on
    8. Taking fun pics in new places
    9. New stamps in my passport
    10. Scavenger hunts

7. posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM  |  reply

Riding the waves at the beach with friends, making cookies, dressing up in a brand new outfit for a night out, playing a board game with family/friends, shopping, reading by firelight, singing/telling stories around a campfire, making smokes…

• posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM  |  reply

Okay that should have said smores not smokes, stupid autocorrect, makes me sound like I think illegal things are fun! LOL

8. Ioana
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

well, i think there are different kinds of “fun”, like (1) oh-this-is-so-cool-and-I-love-it kind of fun and (2) this-is-so-fun-i-am-LOLing-too-loud kind of fun. without saying which goes to which category, here are my FUN things: snail mail (i.m on the same page with Allyssa), going to the movies alone (i know), laughing with friends/family over things from the past that were funny then but are even funnier now that you have time to analyze them, badminton + badminton in 4, a good book that stops me from working serious work… that.s all i have now. i have an audio book on that is stopping me from writing serious writings in this here comment section, so, you understand, it’s fun.
    what does it say about me that the first time I ever post on your blog is on a fun related post? 😀 {no need-o to answer that}

• Amy
      posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM  |  reply

I think this is a good point about different kinds of fun.

9. Hillary
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM  |  reply

Fun things list:
    -Running (I know, I know TOTALLY subjective)
    -Reading a whole book in one day
    -Driving really far to do something random
    -Driving really far to eat amazing food
    -Finding new hobbies
    -Archery
    -Discussing at length a zombie apocalypse plan
    -Late night movies, and shoving as much contraband candy into my purse as is humanly possible
    -Ice cream runs
    -Watching an entire tv series on Netflix in an embarrassingly short amount of time.
    -baking delicious goodies for my bible study group, and then enjoyment that follows when I get to see how excited they are for it 🙂

10. gmh
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM  |  reply

Fun is:

-Crafting with friends
    -Doing a Christmas puzzle while listening to Christmas music while sipping hot cider and it is snowing outside and the dog is snoozing by the fire.
    -Sitting on the beach with absolutely no plans for the whole afternoon.
    -Roller coasters.
    -Beating your nemesis in a good game of Qwirkle.
    -Organizing your craft supplies.
    -Listening to your neighbor mow his lawn while you lounge in a hammock.
    -Napping in a hammock (no lawn mowing).
    -The school supplies aisle at Target.
    -TP-ing someone’s yard.
    -Riding a tandem bike.
    -Every color of Sharpie pen is fun.
    -Watching a marathon of Duck Dynasty
    -Sending your brother weird stuff for his birthday.
    -Getting out of debt.
    -Scrapbooking.
    -Reading in a hammock.
    -Reading anywhere.
    -Full set of M*A*S*H dvds.
    -Buttered popcorn at the movies.
    -Correcting the grammar on signs. (No joke, I carry a black Sharpie for that purpose. I am tired of people using an apostrophe to form plurals! I am the Apostrophe Avenger!)

Ah, there is more, but I will leave it to your imagination.

11. posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM  |  reply

– doodling.
    – changing the language to French when your friends aren’t looking before you start to watch a dvd together.
    – fishing with my brother.
    – breakfast for dinner w/ friends.
    – driving country roads, music loud.
    – watching Psych while eating snacks.
    – reading excerpts from “The Quote Book” which is a large notebook full of ridiculous funny & goofy things said by roommates, fam & friends over the years.
    – homemade ice cream.
    – blogging / editing pictures 🙂
    – making wacky Spotify playlists for a friend when they are signed in to their account.
    – watching Barefoot Contessa.
    – craft mornings with roommates.
    – a water fight.
    – snow days.. watching movies, decorating for Christmas, cooking, watching the weather.
    – eating hardo bread w/ peanut butter & guava jelly in Jamaica.. my favorite.
    – games.
    – having a ridiculous text conversation with my brother or my best friend when we struggle with auto correct.
    – swapping stories.
    – looking through old pictures with friends and laughing.
    – driving a 4 wheeler.
    – going to the library … yes it is fun.
    – related: finding outrageous/cheesy movies at the library and forcing people to watch them.
    – making/sending goofy cards.

12. posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM  |  reply

– Happy Hour at Sonic
    – My ten-month-old nephew laughing
    – Brainstorming decor ideas with a girlfriend late at night
    – Watching a cheesy, over-the-top movie like Mamma Mia with girlfriends and laughing and laughing at how silly it is.
    – Game nights with college students
    – Murder mystery parties
    – Finding new friends in unexpected places
    – Greeting designated store greeters before they can greet me
    – Chatting with cashiers and getting them to laugh before they finish my purchase.

13. Katie
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM  |  reply

Zumba is a new find for me, and it is SO fun at the end of a work day. As are being greeted by my cat and watching her attack various toys and live-tweeting the Bachelor/ette…haha.

14. Amy
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:18 PM  |  reply

Oh my goodness, I’m one of those not-fun people who takes Zumba too seriously. After reading this post, I realized I have almost no idea how to have fun anymore. This is so sad. I’m not even kidding. Like, I enjoy reading or gardening a lot but it’s not really FUN. I think I’ve lost my mojo…taking notes here.

• Amy
      posted on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

OK I thought about this more…

coffee with friends
      attending conferences
      flying
      eating out
      theme parks (when it’s not too hot or crowded)
      country concerts
      live-tweeting TV shows
      being silly with my girls
      movies
      loud music

15. posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM  |  reply

awwww… I almost texted you last week to see if you wanted to do the county fair with us. So sad I didn’t follow through now.

Fun… Sitting with your feet in the creek.
    Great girls night.
    Traveling to new places.
    Unexpected coffee/lunch dates.
    Movies.
    My kids sporting events.
    Watching our kids interact with friends.

Just to name a few.

16. posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM  |  reply

Fun is…

-grabbing coffee with a friend

-eating pasta

-going to the movies alone

-finding out that I’m not the only person who thinks going to the movies alone is fun

-reading a good book while curled up on the couch on a rainy day

-parasailing

-going on a cruise

-dancing

-nutella

17. posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM  |  reply

Here’s a short list:
    Water skiing
    Getting lost in a good book
    Broadway plays with friends
    sitting around a campfire in cool weather
    watching babies who have just learned to walk
    riding in a convertible
    walking in the rain
    drinking coffee (really chai latte) with my husband
    capturing a moment with photography

I try to find ways to have fun and not get so caught up in seriousness. Usually it involves singing to the top of my lungs while dancing in the car. It gets a reaction out of my son and I have to admit, that’s fun!

18. posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM  |  reply

i have three children and love having them around, but fun for me would be getting a milkshake at the drive thru window and not having to share (or buy three additional ones).
    ~ coloring in with new crayons
    ~ staying up late reading a great book
    ~ riding bikes
    ~ swinging at the playground
    ~ watching my children learn something new (water skiing, knee boarding etc)
    ~ watching my children realize their mommy can actually do the things they are learning
    ~ reading with my children
    ~ sliding into bed at night and reaching for my husband’s hand
    ~ cooking with my daughters
    ~ playing games as a family
    ~ watching a thunderstorm in a lawn chair in the garage

19. posted on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

[…] Annie posted about having fun.  She says not only does she like having fun, she “spend(s) a […]

20. posted on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

I tend to take life way too seriously. Thanks for the reminder to find ways to have fun.

Here are things I find fun: jumping in the pool * playing catch in the pool * jumping into waves in the ocean * driving in the Jeep with the top down * trying new ice cream flavors * candy shops * playing Just Dance * baking * roller coasters * water slides * walking barefoot * visiting the zoo

I’m going on a mission to find more fun things and to do something fun every day now. Life’s too short not to have fun 🙂

21. Serena
    posted on Aug 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM  |  reply

I enjoy:
    •sitting alone at a coffee shop and reading
    •listening to up-beat music
    •riding down the highway (with my dad) with the windows rolled down, blaring the music, and singing as loud as we can
    •building forts in trees
    •making cookies
    •wearing something that makes me feel good
    •playing an intense game if tag
    •going on roller coasters