Afternoon Distraction: Mary Poppins

on August 19, 2013 in Afternoon Distraction with 11 comments by

The second summer I was a youth group intern, the summer between my sophomore and junior years of college, the youth pastor left to take over at another church. It was one of the most challenging experiences of my life. And for some reason, escapism that summer came in the form of watching Mary Poppins and Joel Osteen.

I can’t explain it.

I just know that as a kid, and even as an adult, this film holds a sweet and special place in my heart.

When I saw this trailer for Saving Mr. Banks, well, I just already teared up so that’s gonna be a real treat for whoever is forced to sit beside me in December 2013.

Have you seen this trailer yet? Are you excited about the movie?

1. Megan
    posted on Aug 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM  |  reply

I’m not crying. It’s just raining on my face.

That looks amazing! I’d heard the title before but I didn’t realize it was connected to Mary Poppins. I’m looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

2. posted on Aug 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM  |  reply

I, too, didn’t know the story of this movie. Thanks for sharing it. I’ll have to watch Mary Poppins again before then. 😉

3. kathleen
    posted on Aug 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM  |  reply

I cannot wait to see this movie!!!!

4. Emily
    posted on Aug 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM  |  reply

This preview was the best part of my day. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

5. posted on Aug 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM  |  reply

oh my goodness! I had no idea that this movie existed! Thanks for sharing. I now, CAN NOT WAIT:)

6. posted on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM  |  reply

Oh yes, I’m VERY excited for this movie!! I couldn’t help thinking, though (since I love the movie so much), that I can’t imagine the author or anyone else ever being disappointed in the final product.

7. Emily
    posted on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM  |  reply

I haven’t even heard of this before now, but SO excited! Mary Poppins was always one of my faves … can’t wait to see this lovely story of how it came to life.

8. Katie
    posted on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM  |  reply

SOOOOO excited for this movie!!!

9. posted on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM  |  reply

OH MY GOSH!!!!! I can’t scream any louder in a comment! OH MY GOSH!!!!! Am now DYING to see this movie. Reposting on facebook IMMEDIATELY! I don’t think I’ve adequately expressed how EXCITED I am now. lol Thank you for this!

10. Melissa
    posted on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM  |  reply

OF COURSE they cast Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks, who else could be better!? I loved Finding Neverland, pretty sure this one will be right up there with it. 🙂

11. posted on Aug 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM  |  reply

I heard about this last month and it was immediately blog-worthy for me too !(http://thehomemadefig.com/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-a-spoonful-of-sugar) I love Mary so much I was her for Halloween at least 4 years growing up and as an adult went full on dress-up at Disney, bird umbrella and all! I plan to feed the birds when we visit the steps of St. Paul’s in London next month too….my poor husband! Congrats on Speak Love – can’t wait to read it!