Day 2 :: Besties

on October 2, 2013 in 31 Ways To Speak Love with 10 comments by

31 ways

I don’t have one best friend.

I have a few people to whom I give that label, whether they like it or not.

I won’t list them. That would be awkward.

But I am so grateful for my best friends. I’m sure you are too. Can you think of one, two, or five people in your life that are your closies? The ones you trust and depend on, the ones who laugh at your jokes, and the people you could call in the middle of the night?

Those are your besties. Your people. Yours.

I love my people. As my life changes and my city changes and my career changes, it’s these handful of friends who make sure I stay me and I stay normal and I call them when things are going for me and against me.

I love them.

But I don’t tell them that enough.

I thank them in the acknowledgments of my books, I tell other people that I am grateful for them, but how often do look in the eyes of my best friends and tell them so?

A few years ago, Mary Katherine and I had breakfast on January 2nd. She called me out. She said, “who are your best friends?” And I told her. She said, “but you don’t tell them that or treat them any different than any other friend. How would they ever know?”

It was so convicting.

So that day, I put them in my “favorites” category on my phone and when something big happens, I make sure they all know before the internet does. When someone breaks my heart, they know first.

And today? I’m going to call them. Each of them. And remind them what they mean to me and why. Not just a text, not just emojis, but a real life phone call or face to face moment.ย

Want to Speak Love to your best friends today? Just call them. Or stand in front of them. Or sit with them at lunch or a coffee shop. Speak to them. Plain and simple. Tell them how much they mean to you and why. Don’t just say “I love you,” say “I love you because…” and then finish that sentence with your heart.

Don’t let the sun go down today without letting those closest to you know that they are. You may make their day in ways you will never know.

. . . . .

SPEAK LOVE NOW

I’ll be honest, y’all. I’m kinda nervous about making these calls today! It feels silly because I’m calling my favorite people on the planet. But for those not in Nashville, I’m gonna call. For those in this town, I’m gonna stop by their house or meet up with them somewhere and give them a big squeeze and a thanks and a “this is why I love you” moment.

Today’s challenge: do the same. Speak love to the people you call your best friend, whether that’s one or five. Let today be the day that they hear how much they mean to you.

In addition, feel free to send a free e-card to your closie or leave a comment below telling us all about your favorite people. I’d love to hear who you consider your best friend!

1. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 9:05 AM  |  reply

Loved this challenge today, even though I had to send text messages via email and actual emails because I live overseas. It was fun and encouraging to hear back from a couple of my close friends right away. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

Love this girl!!! We seriously don’t tell the people who mean so much to us that we love them enough! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 9:33 AM  |  reply

New follower btw! Found you on the 31 day challenge ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Angelica
    posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 9:36 AM  |  reply

I text my 3 best friends, because my best guy and girl friend live in Ga, and my best Scottish friend was in school. It was so encouraging to get immediate responses, this has made me so happy today as I realise how amazing God is for allowing these three paths to cross!!!

5. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 9:45 AM  |  reply

beautiful idea, friend. I don’t think I’ve ever told my “closies” (brilliant words btw!) that they are really my “besties”

thanks for the push to be more intentional and speak more love!

6. Tara Doleshal
    posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 10:26 AM  |  reply

Awesome idea. I don’t think I tell my besties enough how much they mean to me. I will tell them today! God has blessed me with them. They need to know that ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for the reminder!!!

7. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 4:26 PM  |  reply

Well, my best Friend is Jesus. His friendship never has you putting the effort in and getting nothing back, and He’s never looking at His watch after an hour-and-a-half, wanting to move on; we can spend as much of our day with Him as we like.

I do have a second-best friend. I don’t say the words “I love you” because I think that would make him feel awkward, but I try to find ways of letting him know how much he means to me, like when I came back from a long-weekend away I told him I missed being able to E-mail and chat about the days.

8. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 8:43 PM  |  reply

What a great reminder to let the people we love and cherish know. It deepens friendships and honestly, we just don’t know what will happen tomorrow. I know I want to live in my relationships with no regrets! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing this!

9. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 11:06 PM  |  reply

Love this! I have several people in later life I’ve come to call ‘best friends,’ which is so cool because as a child I wouldn’t say I did. I like how you put that to say “I love you because.” I often say I love you to my friends but that was a good word. Thanks :).

10. posted on Oct 07, 2013 at 12:17 AM  |  reply

my best friend has been my best friend for almost 12 years. we have been through so much together. i just read this post tonight, so i’m late. but i’m still going to do the challenge. i think i might try to surprise visit her at work this week. she is 17 weeks pregnant and i’m sure a treat along with “i love you because…” would make her day. ๐Ÿ™‚