Day 23 :: Talk To God.

on October 23, 2013 in 31 Ways To Speak Love with 10 comments by

31 ways

Life is busy. I miss my college days when it was part of my schedule each day to sit and pray and journal and read my Bible.

That’s not my life now. I don’t like waking up early, I can’t keep my eyes open late, and I find myself filling each day with work and play and friends and food and sometimes I can forget to set aside time and journal about my life for weeks at a time.

And to be honest? Sometimes I’m tired of talking to God and asking Him to figure stuff out that I can’t and digging into the things that I’m dealing with. Are any of you in full-time ministry? Because that adds this weird element of being in relationship with God because He’s also the Boss, and so when I do sit down to pray I want to talk about personal stuff but sometimes it ends up flipping to biz talk and I’m all, “Oh while I’ve got You, can we go ahead and discuss this company decision?”

I could give you all the ways that I talk about how to speak to God and listen to God in Speak Love but here’s what I really want to say:

Talk to God.

If you are tired and just want to retreat inside and ignore the hurt, don’t. Talk to God.

If you are excited and life is going great and you realize it’s accidentally been two weeks since you sat down and prayed? Do it today. Talk to God.

If you are brokenhearted, talk to God.

If you are nervous, talk to God.

If you are scared, talk to God.

If you are smack in the middle of exactly who you want to be, talk to God.

No matter your spot in life or your hurt or your healing, He’s listening to you.

Maybe you don’t need to hear this. Maybe I’m just talking myself through a season where it’s easier to power through than to be still and know, but I just have to say that in all the hubbub of these 31 Ways To Speak Love and ALL THE ACTIONS and ALL THE WORDS, what I really wish is for an hour to sit and talk and cry and be and hear and heal and feel like I’m understood.

[I can write me some kind of run-on sentence, people.]

Sweet friend. Talk to God. Don’t let your worries or your fears, your mistakes or your missteps, your joys or your victories keep you from connecting with the One who holds it all in His hands.

. . . . .

SPEAK LOVE NOW

Today, talk to God.

This is Day 23 of 31 Ways to Speak Love. You can click here to see a list of all the posts in the series.

1. Kasey
    posted on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:14 AM  |  reply

If I could fill this comment up with emogis I would. Thanks so much for your honesty, because we really need to know that others face the same struggles that we do. It helps us to push through. Thanks so much!!

2. tera
    posted on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM  |  reply

I can not even begin to tell you how timely this is for me today. I woke early this morning determined to get back to my quiet times that I have missed and in my journal wrote, “I’m going to dig deep and get past this, I’m going to read the Word until I’m there and my soul breathes again.” Every word could have been mine, Annie. Thank you for the confirmation of what I know I need to do…today.

3. posted on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM  |  reply

Um, whoa. Needed this today. Thank you for speaking love to the hearts of girls of all ages everywhere.

4. posted on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM  |  reply

Its so true. We just rush through life without even pausing. That talking to God which is the basis of our relationship with him is essential.

5. Jennifer Stoltzfus
    posted on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM  |  reply

You’re a beautiful gal, Miss Annie Downs. Keep speakin’ truth. We need you.

xoxo

6. mary beth
    posted on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM  |  reply

Thanks so much for being open and vulnerable enough to post this. i live overseas, and it’s SO easy to get distracted by all the good things i came here to do that i often forget to spend time with the One who led me here. He has been reminding me lately of the importance of spending time with him and in the word, and your post was another great reminder. keep up the encouraging words!

7. posted on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM  |  reply

I just commented on a question at another status my favorite verse is “Pour out your hearts before Him.” Psalm62:8 But i haven’t spent any time with Him today.i’m glad you wrote this. I’m going to stop now. Thanks Annie.

8. posted on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM  |  reply

My fave moment of yesterday, and any day when I do what I did, was when I was laying on my bed talking through the tough stuff with God. He’s a better listener than any friend because he doesn’t just try to fix the problem or suggest ideas – he IS the fixer. That’s so good.

9. posted on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:09 AM  |  reply

Thank-you, Annie, for laying your heart before us and trusting God that we will receive it tenderly. Your words have touched a raw place in me, that I know I’m trying to avoid, and I needed to hear what you had to say.

10. posted on Oct 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM  |  reply

I am so thankful for how you are letting God use you. I was told of you thru another single friend (we ae both in our thirties and sometimes struggle with the questions of being single and older and surrounded by married friends) and love reading your words. Today is no exception. Thank you for your honesty and your challenge to us, the readers. May God continue to fill your pen or computer with what He has already given you.