What I’m Watching.

on January 29, 2014 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 13 comments by

I hate to tell you this, but I am not overly excited about the winter Olympics.

Here’s the thing. I grew up in Georgia and I live in Tennessee. We don’t grow up learning to ski or snowboard or do anything wrapped in layers on top of ice. I mean, God bless my people in Atlanta, but even yesterday and today the ice and snow are ruining everyone’s lives, not making them want to compete.

So.

I’m disappointed that so many of my fave shows will be taking a winter break. Whah whah.

But it will also give me time to catch some of my favorite cable shows if I’m home, or catch up on series I love. If I’ve got a spare hour or so, I love watching television. Because my favorite hobby (reading) also looks a lot like my favorite job (writing), sometimes words wear me out. So taking an hour to watch TV is really relaxing to me.

Here are a few of my favorite shows right now….

Kim of Queens : Oh y’all. This reality show has me laughing so hard. Kim is a former Ms. Georgia, and now she is a pageant coach. And watching her train local metro-Atlanta girls for pageants is great. I could watch these episodes over and over again. It’s on the Lifetime Network. Check it out. Really really.

The Mindy Project : Again, laughing. I loved Mindy’s book, and the writing of this show just gets better and better. You’ll want to start from the beginning for story purpose, but the farther you go, the better the humor gets. You will LOL or your money back.

Downton Abbey : Season Four has me feeling so many things. And this week’s episode? Good gravy. Can I just say that Mr. Bates is a hero and NOT A MAN TO BE MESSED WITH. That’s all.

The Bachelor : JUAN-uary, am I right? You know I love The Bach, and you know I usually give The Bach it’s own blog post. But I just don’t think we’re there yet with Juan Pablo’s season. When I feel like we have a front runner worth discussing, we’ll talk.

Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives : This is a favorite when I totally want to veg out. (Food pun? Sure, why not.) I think Guy, the host, is hilarious, and I love what he is doing for local restaurants by featuring them. I think that would be a super fun job, but. You know. The lack of dairy and the hate of peppers and the low intake of wheat and the inability to eat pork because of migraines may cause me to not be “the best” co-host. But I can watch happily and never have to taste the peppers.

Once Upon A Time : My guilty pleasure. Sorry I’m not sorry. But I really love the childhood fantasy side of this show and how it connects characters from all sorts of different fairy tales. There is another version as well- Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, if you wanna go really deep into the dorky rabbit hole (LITERALLY!).

And my current travel DVD series I watch on airplanes or in hotel rooms (I try not to watch TV on the road… too many channel options with too many shows that aren’t good for my brain and heart) is Gilmore Girls. I’m on Season Two and my word do I have a crush on Luke. I’ve seen the whole series, but only when it came on TV years ago. I’m enjoying taking Lorelai and Rory on the road with me.

. . . . .

What are your favorite television shows on right now? Also, tell me your feelings on the Winter Olympics.

1. Deborah
    posted on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:23 AM  |  reply

Totally and fully addicted to Friday night lights right now. I’m still in the first season and absolutely loving it! Thank God for netflix.
    I also second Gilmore girls. So good!

2. posted on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:30 AM  |  reply

It’s time for the Olympics? If Rebekah (ice skating fan) and Jacob (snowboarding fan) were still living here we would be all over it. Me? Not so much.

Once Upon a Time and Downton Abbey are what I watch regularly. And this season looks like a winner with Harry Connick, Jr. on AI.

3. Pam
    posted on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

My favorite series on right now is Castle. I enjoy the cat and mouse chase between Beckett & Castle and was afraid that after he proposed it would ruin the story line. I’m glad I was wrong. I believe this season is one of the best yet. I’m so inspired by watching The Biggest Loser. That one is responsible for getting me to start running over 3 years ago : )

I’m with you about watching the Winter Olympics. As a North Carolina girl, I don’t get into the winter sports as much, but I still find those athletes’ tenacity and perseverance to be where they are inspiring.

4. posted on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM  |  reply

once upon a time and once upon a time in wonderland

5. Katelin
    posted on Jan 29, 2014 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

I’m a fan of the Olympics because it’s possible to enjoy it from the warmth of my couch. I’m not one to watch it 24/7 though.

I LOVE Gilmore Girls! I’m also a fan of the show Psych about a fake psychic detective (a mix of humor and suspense) on USA.

6. Jennifer Adams
    posted on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:14 PM  |  reply

Once Upon a Time- my absolutely favorite show right now! During the winter break I am going through the all series…again.

Sherlock- Oh my! New “other” favorite. Haven’t started the new season yet, minus the first episode, because I’m a granny who goes to bed too early.

And Gilmore Girls has been a fave since college. 🙂

7. Katie
    posted on Jan 29, 2014 at 7:47 PM  |  reply

I’m currently making my way through Gilmore Girls again 🙂 Really love Park and Recreation, I laugh out loud every single episode!

8. posted on Jan 29, 2014 at 9:44 PM  |  reply

Gilmore Girls is my favorite canceled series! (Although I didn’t enjoy the last two seasons as much as the first five.) My current favorites are Psych – like Katelin above – Castle – like Pam – and NCIS. I guess I really like shows that combine humor with solving crime. 🙂

9. Lenyer
    posted on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM  |  reply

I love Once Upon a Time! My other favorites are Psych, Doctor Who (yes, I know), and Sherlock. I do like the winter olympics, even though I am from North Carolina. My family has been snow boarding and we all love to ice skate so we do enjoy watching both of those sports. Plus, it brings back many great memories with my family.

10. posted on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM  |  reply

Agreed with all but King of Queens. Never really watched it.

I am a teacher so during my winter hibernation/Christmas break, I watched all of Season 1 and 2 and the first half of Season 3. I am soooo Hook–ed!! (Get it!)

Gilmore Girls will always have a special place in my heart. I will forever quote and remember my favorite scenes, like the dorm move in episode with the matress!! Or the town meetings!
    Or my favorite “You call that a Maypole. I call that a May-be Not Pole!” -Kirk

Another fav is Parks and Rec, and Castle is a great show!

Parenthood has me sobbing every week! Lauren Graham plays a somewhat similar but totally different character and is beautiful in it!

And I cannot NOT mention Downton Abbey. I am feeling all the feelings about this season! So good! And the costumes!

Okay, I will stop talking now.

11. posted on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM  |  reply

I too am not at all excited about the winter Olympics, but I have been afraid to even admit it for fear of seeming unpatriotic. Thanks for being a trailblazer! 🙂

I LOVE Gilmore Girls. It is my all-time favorite show. I have seen every episode an unhealthy amount of times.

Right now I am not really watching much. Parenthood is a must-see every week, and I am into Revenge, but that’s about it. I need to find another series to watch on Netflix. Have you seen Better Off Ted? It’s a sitcom that had a short run, but it’s hilarious.

12. Lisa
    posted on Feb 02, 2014 at 5:11 PM  |  reply

I’m not too into the Olympics either.

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE “Modern Family”.

I have also started watching “Nashville”. And, I enjoy “Dallas”.

On Netflix, I like “House of Cards” and “Weeds”. I also got hooked on “Breaking Bad” which is not normally my “cup of tea”.

Hope these suggestions help you.

13. posted on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:32 PM  |  reply

I’m not much into the winter olympics either. 🙂