Juan Pablo.

on March 12, 2014 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 12 comments by

Well. Nothing will bring me out of a blogger’s fog like a Bachelor season finale.

(But seriously. Sorry for the silence. I went on vacation – I did a herkie – and now I’m back.)

If you haven’t watched the season finale of this Bachelor, then be warned that I’m about to spoil all the spoilers and not hold back because people, we need to process what we have just seen.

For starters. I don’t know Juan Pablo. I know as much as you do- what the ABC people edited for me to know. And I see his twitter… where HE is strangely UNPREDICTABLE about CAPS lock.

Here’s the biggest problem of the night (and lo, were there many)… Juan Pablo wasn’t grateful.

I don’t fault him for not getting engaged, I don’t fault him for not saying I love you. In fact, I would say that’s a pretty solid choice if, in fact, YOU DO NOT LOVE SOMEONE. I try pretty hard to not say I love you to people I do not love. So that is not where my problem with Juan Pablo lies.

Here’s the thing. Who has paid his bills the last few months? Who flew him around the world for extravagant dates? Who introduced him to this woman he likes a lot, enough to sleazily wink in the final rose ceremony? ABC did. And whether he or you or I like it, that’s what he signed up for. As Catherine said last night, “don’t bite the hand that fed you.”

Again, I’m not saying he should have made any decision differently- I’m saying his attitude and lack of thankfulness was a stench that permeated every television, made him come across very rude and self-centered, like a taker and not a giver.

But I don’t know him as a person, so I’m sure the last two episodes were not the best representation of who he is as a man. Also, I don’t know what it is like to be in that seat. I have no idea what it is like to work with ABC. But I do know that you always lose friends when you are rude and in some cases, one case to be exact, you become the most hated bachelor in the history of all things ever.

I’m sad to see the season end that way- the Bachelor is supposed to make the audience feel happy and satisfied at the end, not whatever feeling this is. If he wasn’t happy with the experience, he could have been polite and walked out the door after shooting and never looked back.

Even in situations that don’t go the way you want, there’s always a classy exit. Choose that, friends. Choose that.

(Tiny rant moment to come.)

By the way, DO NOT be rude to Chris Harrison – you know we’ve been friends with him for seventeen seasons, right? You know that when everyone else leaves us, the contestants, the bachelors, the helicopter pilots, he is the one who stays. He’s our faithfulest friend, season to season. So you better settle yourself right on down, Juan Pablo, when you are talking to my friend Chris.

(Tiny rant moment over. Apologies.)

. . . . .

So… what did you think? Other topics worthy of comment conversation: Juan Pablo and Claire, Chris Harrison’s comments, Andi as the new bachelorette?, Sean and Catherine and the peanut gallery, Nikki?, other moments of importance that I’m forgetting?

I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on this season.

. . . . .

Also. Remember that I am serious about not slandering celebrities/people in the public eye – so if you are hugely unkind, I will delete your comment.

1. Priscilla
    posted on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM  |  reply

Well said, Annie! I agree with you. It was as though Juan Pablo lost sight of this opportunity to truly get to know and find a wife suitable for his and Camila’s lives. I walked away from the show feeling as if he viewed this “adventure” as simply a game for himself. Unfortunate since he claimed to want to be a role model for his daughter. But as Sean Lowe profoundly stated, “To each his own.” 😉

2. Sara
    posted on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:47 AM  |  reply

A-MEN, Annie. There’s no reason for smugness or an attitude of “I’m too good for this tv show” when you’ve just spent the last 8 weeks on that tv show as well as others promoting the tv show. Seriously. Wowza.

3. Erin
    posted on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:45 AM  |  reply

I felt a little gross after watching. I understood why Chris was pressing him, but I actually thought that maybe hurt Nikki. How many times does a girl need to hear “HE HASN’T SAID I LOVE YOU?” Seemed a little harsh.

4. posted on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

i totally agree- I am not hatin’ because JP doesn’t love her or wouldn’t say it..but did he have to be so rude? And that thing about being honest? Well, not so sure about that one…what kills me is that he canNOT communicate. He couldn’t even have one real conversation that didn’t involve, “eet’s okay”, caressing a girl’s face, nose, or cheek, or moving their hair behind their ears…what happens when the bills didn’t get paid? or they can’t get pregnant? or they need to move? or discuss their faith/church? Lord help the girl who has to get something real from him…well, I sound like I know him and I don’t…so God bless all of them.

5. posted on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM  |  reply

Did you read Chris’ recap? http://popwatch.ew.com/author/ewchrisharrison/

And watch Kristin and Sarah’s? http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com/2014/03/the-bachelor-finale-its-not-okay.html

I was disappointed in JP. Thought he was careless with the women all season and an ungrateful Bachelor. I get that he probably felt attacked and so he shut down. Sure hope that Nikki comes out of this whole thing okay. Not sure it looks like the most balanced or healthiest relationship of all time.

6. posted on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM  |  reply

Dearest Annie. Well said!

I don’t watch this show. I most definitely haven’t seen every season of the Bachelor/Bachelorette since Andrew Firestone, and certainly didn’t pay attention to every “dramatic” and “controversial” moment of Juan Pablo’s season.

…but if I HAD (hypothetically) I might bring up the certain part of the final rose ceremony where Clare tells off JP and after she leaves says “Wow, glad I didn’t pick her!” I mean, who says that?

But as I said. I don’t watch this show. So I can’t really comment. I for sure will not be glued to every minute of Andi’s season which airs in May.

Xo
    E

7. Caroline
    posted on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM  |  reply

Obvi, I love The Bachelor/ette. I love the awkward interactions, the ridiculous date activities, the Chris Harrison champagne glass clink at the end of the night, but my favorite thing about it is the conversation it inevitably stirs about how people treat each other. And my big takeaway from this season? Props to ABC for giving us something new after 17 seasons! Villainizing the one who was meant to be the hero? That’s good TV.

8. Tammy
    posted on Mar 13, 2014 at 5:03 AM  |  reply

I enjoy watching the Bachelor but did not like Juan Pablo from the moment they picked him, I saw more than the accent. He was rude and nasty often to the women and never greatful he never seemed to form bonds where you felt a warm fuzzy love connection with any of the women. I didn’t really care for Claire either but she had a classy exit and even classier after the final rose not letting him have a chance to talk to her again.

9. posted on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM  |  reply

amen amen amen! my mother in law was in town and this was her first bachelor experience! ah! i kept telling her that this is NOT how this was supposed to go!
    i think he just turned into a total butt head towards the end of the season! and i think it’s because he didn’t want to be there. which is lame. because this was his second time on the show…so he knew what he was getting into.
    yes, is this cheesy tv…you betcha! but cheesy tv that women love and expect something! i felt like he was mocking the whole experience at the end, which made me sad.
    AND WHO’S RUDE TO CHRIS HARRISON!? i would be embarrassed if i was nikki watching this back…and just the final rose episode. it was a serious twist that’s for sure!
    but i loved andi!

thanks for this post and making me remember i’m not the only one addicted to this show.

10. Caren
    posted on Mar 16, 2014 at 10:55 PM  |  reply

Lol about the capslock! So true!! I just watched it tonight after getting back from spring break. Strangest finale ever! Feeling sad for Nikki and strangly proud of Clare. Pumped about Andi! JP does not express himself well (understatement of the century) which makes me even more sad for Nikki. How embarrassing for her. I hope they do truly love each other and find happiness together though!

11. posted on Mar 18, 2014 at 7:19 PM  |  reply

Juan Pablo is not the best bachelor ever. I do not appreciate how he acted. I got so made when he mouthed off to Chris Harrison. That really ticked me off! Oh well, good thing a GEORGIA girl is the new BACHELORETTE!

12. posted on Mar 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

Is Chris Harrison married, because if not…..heavens…..THAT MAN DESERVES AN AROUND-THE-WORLD-EXTRAVAGANZA-DREAM-DATE-BEAUTIFUL-WOMEN-SHOT-AT-LOVE. Mercy. Give the man an award.