Your tears matter.

on March 28, 2014 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 11 comments by

I’m a crier. You know this about me, whether you and I have met face to face or not. I talk about it in my books, I talk about it when I speak (usually as a warning to the audience).

It’s not that I’m dramatic. I’m just emotional. I just feeeeeel all the things and feeeeel them deeply and my eyes leak.

So.

I’ve always loved Psalm 56:8.

“You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.”

I don’t know how God does it- how He keeps up with all the pains and hurts and tears of each of us, but I believe the Bible and the Bible says He does.

Your tears matter. Every one of them.

My friend Lindsey has Lyme Disease. It has, to be honest, ruined her life in a lot of ways, as Lyme tends to do. Not forever, not completely, but it has stolen from her the life she wants to be living on a daily basis. (You can read her story here.) So in her sickness, Lindsey has become acutely aware of pain in her own life, as well as in the lives of others. She is so compassionate and caring, even while fighting this disease, through her own tears and pain.

So last week, Lindsey launched Bottles of Tears. She wanted to find a way to support and love other people in their hurt, while also helping raise funds for her Lyme Disease treatment.

bottle

It’s an AMAZING idea.

Think of someone in your life that is hurting, that could use a reminder that they have not been forgotten or overlooked. Scan through the unique vintage bottle options that Lindsey has scoured for and collected. Pick the one that you or your person would like. When you order the bottle, it comes with Psalm 56:8 beautifully printed on a vintage piece of dictionary paper.

I mean. So chic. I can’t even deal.

And it’s shipped to you, or your friend, as a sweet reminder no matter what they are going through (divorce, sickness, hurt, loss of job, heartache), God remembers them.

photo 2

I ordered the tiniest most adorable bottle because there is humor in thinking God could hold my tears in that size container. It’s ironic. Get it?

I think this is a beautiful and helpful ministry – both for Lindsey and all those who are receiving bottles – so I just wanted to make sure you knew about it. While this is amazing for anyone who is hurting, I also think this would be an incredible gift for teenage girls or college girls in your life to remind them that whatever they are going through, God finds it important and worthy of recording.

So check out Bottle of Tears. Can’t wait to hear which bottle you pick! 🙂

1. KR
    posted on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:45 AM  |  reply

Oh my goodness how very precious! This is going to be huge. It gives me chills. Can’t wait for the prayer wall. Thank you!

2. posted on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

This is SOO awesome. Oh wow. I am blown away how beautiful, creative, and meaningful this is!! As someone sometimes overwhelmed by the tears (of myself and my comrades in the infertility world)…I can’t wait to spread some encouragement with these beautiful bottles. Normally I just send Starbucks cards…which are their own sort of happiness…so this will be a lovely addition!! 🙂 Thanks for letting us know!

3. posted on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM  |  reply

My little sister just called off her wedding. Right decision but still so hard, I know. Our pastor just last week talked about how on his recent trip to Israel, he asked a local Christian about the scripture where Mary washes Jesus’ feet with her tears. The man said that back then, every Hebrew child was given a tear bottle. And their mothers would capture the child’s tears of pain and joy. The child would keep the bottle through adulthood and be buried with it. The man believes Mary had brought her bottle of tears when she went to Jesus that day, such a love offering. My sister heard the sermon so this bottle will be extra special to her.
    I just discovered you from the IF: Equip video. Your laugh is so fantastic I had to look you up on the interwebs. So glad I did.

4. Lisa (@LisainLouKY)
    posted on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM  |  reply

I LOVE this idea!! What a great ministry tool.

5. posted on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM  |  reply

Just bought one for a friend who has been in a tough season for a long time, and she doesn’t see the end. I’m praying she is comforted by knowing He is never far from her! Thanks for the recommendation!

6. posted on Mar 28, 2014 at 10:53 AM  |  reply

Well, you know I am a crier, too – so I LOVE THIS!!! So glad you shared it, Annie.

7. posted on Mar 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM  |  reply

This is a great idea and heading there afterwards. On April 10th will be the 1 year anniversary of my dad’s death due to cancer and while it will be hard for me, I know it will be even harder for my mom because she lost her companion of 42 years. I’ve been thinking about what I can do for her to remind her she is not alone. Timely post my friend!

8. Linda Coleman
    posted on Apr 01, 2014 at 11:49 PM  |  reply

What a coincidence that I would find your blog tonight. Out of a list of 25 I chose your name. To my amazement I started to read about you being someone who cries alot. I attended my group at church tonight and we talked about that very thing. The scripture is so relevant to the season I’m in. I know that there is a Spiritual cleansing going on and that God is definitely doing something other than maybe turning me into a leaky vessel. I’m going through a divorce that has lasted 5 years. It has been hard financial and mentally. I feel like I’m about to come out but not without leaving some things behind. The Crying Season will end and then it will all make sense. Thank You

9. Amy
    posted on Apr 04, 2014 at 11:50 AM  |  reply

I had to pop back by because this is just TOO WILD. I shared the bottle of tears website with our care pastor here in Oklahoma. The girl who started it – Lindsey – is his daughter in law. Are you kidding me? Jaw on floor. Now the two bottles I ordered are even more special.

10. Stephanie
    posted on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM  |  reply

I ordered two. One for me…because I’m going through a season of tears and I needed this reminder. And one to share later – I’m waiting for the Holy Spirit to nudge me as to the right time and person. Thanks for sharing!

11. penny
    posted on May 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM  |  reply

I am also a crier and i was reading a book and it talked about how some tears are okay but the self pity is wrong sometimes i get so fed up in my self and then look in the mirror and say wow get a hold of your self penny your not going to have a pity party then the tears of sadness is okay and god comes and raps his arms around which a lot of times im saying is god even their but he is in the darkness and the light he truly is