I’m not going to Kenya today.

on May 19, 2014 in Mocha Club with 21 comments by

bluemochaUgh. I hate even typing that.

But it’s true. And I’m asking you to please read this blog post from start to finish to understand why.

. . . . .

We aren’t going to Kenya today.

The past couple weeks have seen an increase in violence in key Kenyan cities, including Nairobi, exactly where we were headed. On Friday, May 16, a twin bombing in Nairobi heightened ongoing international security concerns. (As in, the UK evacuated all their tourists. Whoa.) Because our team’s safety was Mocha Club’s biggest concern, it is in everyone’s best interest to postpone the trip.

This was not an easy decision to make. The Mocha Club staff has kept a close eye on the events that unfolded last week in and around Nairobi, as well as maintained constant communication with partners on the ground. Following the State Department’s release of a travel warning and honest discussion between all team members, the team collectively decided to remain in the United States and pursue the trip at a later time.

As you can imagine, the phone call connecting our team and the Mocha Club staff on Friday afternoon was full of awkward silences and lots of disappointment.  It felt terrible.

But it’s the right thing to do.

The goal of the trip was and is to share the stories present at New Dawn – particularly the ones YOU made possible.

We feel that were the trip taken as planned, those stories and our ability to share them with you would be marred by questions of why we went, what was happening regarding the attacks and subsequent security alerts, and ultimately – fear.

The students of New Dawn deserve full attention, both ours and yours. We would rather wait and tell the story right than go and relate a story peppered with fear or uncertainty. We’re still incredibly excited to share with you and bring you along on our journey – it will just be at a time other than this week.

Sigh.

I have lots of emotions, as you can imagine. I’m frustrated to live in a world where terrorists make decisions for me. I’m angry that this is the everyday life for our friends that are students at New Dawn. I’m confused about the timing and why this happened NOW instead of last month or next month. I’m sad that our whole team, and all our readers, will not have the experience this week that we expected.  I feel very sorry that I’ve spend five months telling you about THIS WEEK and now THIS WEEK will be lived in Nashville, Tennessee instead of Nairobi, Kenya. I’m brokenhearted for sweet Lizzie, who donated to the school, filled out an application to go with us, was randomly chosen and perfectly fit with our team.

We do plan to reschedule. We hope to reschedule.

I want to go to New Dawn so badly; it makes me feel physically ill to know a plane takes off today which I had planned to be on that would take me there.

Sigh.

. . . . .

I have lots more to tell you tomorrow, particularly about the part of this decision that made me cry this weekend. But for today, I kinda don’t have any more words.

Our trip is postponed. I’m so disappointed.

1. posted on May 19, 2014 at 5:12 AM  |  reply

God knew this all along and He knows how deep your disappointment runs. Praying for your team (especially Lizzy), New Dawn, and the situation in Nairobi, Annie. I’m so sorry you won’t be going today.

• Wamuyutira
      posted on May 19, 2014 at 6:06 AM  |  reply

Hey I’m really sorry you won’t be able to come to our lovely country. Keep praying for us… you see , this is our home and we have no other home to run to so regardless of what happens we can’t pause our lives or run. We will bravely wake up everyday and face each day knowing that God is our protector. I would have you know that it is a lot safer than they have made it seem unless there is information that is being withheld from us. I hope you do eventually get to come over. I would love to meet you.

2. posted on May 19, 2014 at 7:26 AM  |  reply

Oh, my love. I AM sorry! I know how disappointed you feel.

3. Pam
    posted on May 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM  |  reply

I read your post this morning and then I read today’s devotion in Our Daily Bread:

I know you are so very disappointed, but be encouraged, my friend, because God knew and has a plan even in this great disappointment.

4. posted on May 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM  |  reply

Oh. I am disappointed for and with you. I just want to hug you!! Praying that God will make the path straight for you and the team to get there in His good and sovereign time/way.

5. posted on May 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM  |  reply

Oh…Annie :(.

I feel the weight of your words while trusting the wisdom of this (very hard) decision.

Believing that God is in the midst of all of it, I’m eager to learn the story that will be told a little later than we expected.

{{hugs}}

6. penny
    posted on May 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM  |  reply

wow I cant belive this soo sorry for you but just imagine if you would have been their and they start dropping bombs or something I mean its all for the best and I will be praying for you as you post pone the trip to another time
    lots of love from a adoring fan
    penny

7. Savannah
    posted on May 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM  |  reply

Praying for you and the team today, Annie. I know the ache of disappointment is anything but fun, but I’m praying that this week Nash is a blessing you would have never chosen for yourself. ????

• Savannah
      posted on May 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM  |  reply

The “????” was supposed to show up as something totally different. Oops.

8. posted on May 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM  |  reply

Oh Annie, I’m so sorry! That’s so disappointing. But, I’m so glad you will get to reschedule hopefully. I will continue to pray for the stories that now get some extra time to grow and develop. Imagine all God can continue to do in this moment in that country. Praying for you!

9. Erica G
    posted on May 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM  |  reply

I’m so sorry, Annie! Praying that you have an amazing week in Nashville and God surprises you and goes out of His way to show you this week is still going to be incredible.

10. posted on May 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM  |  reply

I am so sorry for you, Annie. I can only think God has another plan to use you closer to home this week. I will shift my prayers from “praying Annie remembers her passport” to “praying Annie is used in a BIG way this week to make up for the loss of Kenya.” 🙁

11. Lisa (@LisainLouKY)
    posted on May 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM  |  reply

Oh, Annie – I’m so sorry that the answer is “not today”. Remember that God is in charge. He will take the brokenness of the stories today and redeem them – better than we could ever have imagined!

Praying for those in Kenya, those on the team, and praising God in anticipation of all the awesome blessings that will come from this “no”.

12. jenn in GA
    posted on May 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM  |  reply

it is a difficult call to make, and difficult to be the leader who has to make the call. i was in Kenya last September, and three days after i returned, the mall terrorist attack occurred. we had to make decisions about where to go based on the best advice from those we knew in country, and it meant i was not able to see friends who had moved there to be missionaries.

i take comfort in Isaiah 46:10-11: God declares the end from the beginning…His purpose will stand and He will accomplish all that He intends.

in His perfect time, you will go to Kenya. i believe He will make a way for Lizzy to go too, and if He doesn’t, He will still accomplish whatever it is that intends from your meeting.

13. posted on May 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM  |  reply

Aw, Annie. That stinks! I’m so sorry that you’re not able to go at this time. Praying that another door of opportunity opens soon!

14. penny
    posted on May 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM  |  reply

god has a reason I mean its hard to hear that trust this person I hate when some thing is canceled that I was looking forward to but think if you would have been their and something would have happened im telling you he has a reason

15. heather
    posted on May 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM  |  reply

praying for you tonight, as you face this storm. just like you did for my group of girls and me last monday night as we faced our own literal scary storms!

16. Kristin S
    posted on May 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM  |  reply

I’m so sorry to hear this news. Sadly, I experienced this exact same situation last week. I was supposed to leave for Kenya on May 12th and be there for 10 days. Unfortunately, after hearing about all of the safety concerns, myself and my family decided it was better for me to not go right now. What’s even more difficult is that my team still decided to go, so this week I have felt numerous different emotions from relief, to guilt, to sadness, to disappointment, to even embarrassment for being the only one to not attend. I feel as though I’m breaking a promise to the people of Kenya and to God. It’s hard to look forward to a trip for so long then have everything come to a sudden stop. Praying for you and your team, and I would greatly appreciate your prayers too. I do believe that God will reveal himself in big ways through this.

17. Tabitha
    posted on May 20, 2014 at 3:16 AM  |  reply

I cried a little when i read this….but all in God’s timing. Keep praying for Kenya.

18. Merideth
    posted on May 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

So sorry to hear you can’t Go right now Annie. I can imagine the disappointment you feel and I wish things had gone differently for you. But, the key is not right now. I pray you and your team will be able to make the trip at the right time, and that this week would be full of blessings for each of you at home. Praying too for the people of Kenya, and especially those at the school. Love you girl.

19. posted on Nov 18, 2014 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

So sorry that you didn’t make to visit our lovely country Kenya. The situation is in normality and all is well. Those activities were witnessed in selected areas, and the security has been heightened. In case you have plans to come, you are most welcome. By the way, I am a tour consultant who ensures your well being whenever in Kenya.