52 Hours In Nashville

on August 22, 2014 in Nash-livin', Scotland with 14 comments by

photo-2

So tomorrow morning, two of my best friends from across the pond land here in Nashville.

Yes. For the first time EVER, my Scotland BFFs will be seeing my Nashville life and I am so excited that I CAN BARELY STAND IT, Y’ALL.

But, I’m also mildly panicked. They will only be here 52 hours. FIFTY-TWO HOURS and I bet they are going to want to sleep some of those. Annoying.

I feel like there are so many things for them to see, so many places to eat, so much of this town I want to show them that I just can’t narrow it down. I mean, I know all my favorite spots and yes, we will absolutely be honky-tonkin’ Saturday night if anyone wants to join us. But there are so many places I am dying for them to see and I just don’t know how to pick!

Help me, Nashville residents and tourists!

If you had 52 hours to show Nashville to your friends, where would you go?

What would you eat?

What restaurant meals are must-haves to you?

What MUST my friends see and experience while in Music City?

. . . . .

1. posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 6:34 AM  |  reply

No help, but just wanted to say “Yay!” for your Scotland friends coming to visit YOU. They’ll love whatever you show them in Nashville, but I’d be willing to bet they really just want to see you. 😉 Have fun!

2. Heather
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:07 AM  |  reply

Hoping for a follow-up post about where you went, ate, etc. Never been to Nashville but it’s on my bucket list!

I also agree with Southern Gal that mostly they want time to visit with you so don’t get too crazy with the programming 🙂 Sometimes just sitting and visiting make the best memories.

3. Donna
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM  |  reply

I live in Franklin so the Civil War history for me would be a must do. A visit to downtown Franklin & Carnton Plantation followed by a lunch/brunch at the Loveless Cafe (driving down 96 from Franklin to Loveless is nice — you cross under the Natchez Trace bridge & it is a scenic drive) would be a good Southern tour. Belle Meade Plantation is also interesting and fun. Of course you could stay downtown and do the Ryman, Country Music Hall of Fame. Lots of choices, not a lot of time!

4. posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

annie, this is how i feel when friends come for the weekend . so much to do in our sweet city.

coffee to start .. Barista Parlor in my hood (east nash) I know there is another and soon to be another.
    Barista is so much more than coffee, though it is amazing. It’s an event really.
    so coffee and a biscuit sandwich… drooling.

A walk on 12 south for some Nash swag points.

Cheekwood – Okay maybe not this weekend. Way to hot.

A walk across the pedestrian bridge. One of my favorite things and so close to my east nash home.
    You see the city, the river, the honkytonks. They need a little piece of that, right?

lunch at Martins Barbecue.

Arrington Vineyard and a drive to Franklin. So pretty.

Pinewood Social or Margot for brunch Sunday and some spiritual healing at Cross Point.

A walk through Farmers Market in Germantown.
    A walk around 21st in Hillsboro – i guess you could stop at Fido for a burger!:)

If money is no object – dinner at Rolf and Daughters or Husk.

Okay, Im tired.
    Seems to be a lot of food involved in this post 🙂

oh wait… Jeni’s ice cream! Ha.

5. doris Gray
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 10:45 AM  |  reply

We were in Nashville Tuesday for the One Direction (boy band) concert. Wednesday morning we ate breakfast at the Frothy Monkey and lunch at Puckett’s. Of course we strolled Broadway before leaving and took pictures at the Ryman. Love, love, love Nashville. There is just so much to do.

6. posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM  |  reply

I had a British friend stay for less than 24 hours. We went to Arnold’s for lunch because it is classic Southern food. Highlights for her were the Fried Green Tomatoes and finding out Black Eyed Peas is not just a band name.

We went to the Parthenon next, while I explained that ours is better than the one in Greece because ours is not falling apart. We didn’t tour it, just looked and took pictures outside.

We went to Broadway and walked among the honky tonks and she asked questions like, “What ARE cowboys?” and told me she’d only ever heard of Johnny Cash (this was before the museum, so that may be a good place to go). We shopped for Nashville souvenirs and then watched some live music at Tootsies before getting barbecue at Jack’s.

We didn’t do the Hall of Fame, since she wasn’t into country music. When her brother and sis-in-law came to town, they really enjoyed the Ryman tour.

Hope that helps!

7. Bo
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM  |  reply

Go straight from airport to breakfast at Barista Parlor. Then go to farmers market in germantown. Rest/recover/chill at parthenon and their park. Dinner at Merchants on Broadway (downstairs), then honky tonk it up or a little big bang dueling pianos bar. End the night at Santa’s Pub for karaoke.

Sunday – church at CP. Brunch at The Southern. Walk the Pedestrian Bridge and enjoy Cumberland Park. Hop in your car and enjoy sunday afternoon at Arrington. Back to the City for dinner at whiskey kitchen or Virago. Pass Out.

Monday – breakfast at Pancake Pantry before you send them on their way.

8. Bethany
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM  |  reply

Hard! I would try to stick just a few neighborhoods/areas and not try to go everywhere. I would try to give them a Nashville/Southern feel so I would recommend going to 1 burger place, a coffee shop (you could have a lot of quality time there), a meat and three or bbq place, and a music venue! If they are here on Sunday night, I love the people playing bluegrass at the Station Inn–atmosphere to the max and it’s free. I love Franklin and Arrington, but that may take too much time/drive. Driving down Music Row and stopping at Centennial Park I think are worthwhile pieces of the city.

9. Louise
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM  |  reply

Oh how fun! I’m British and went to stay with one of my best friends in Houston. We did a day trip to Austin and it was so fun! I’m sure whatever you show them will be brilliant!

10. posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM  |  reply

What would you eat? – A balance of fun spots and great food is definitely a necessity.
    City House/Etch/Rolf & Daughters (It’s hard to pick. So, whichever you can get in to!)
    Silly Goose
    JENIS
    The Pharmacy
    Mas Tacos
    Marche
    Barista Parlor
    Crema
    Farmers Market (Bella Nashville)
    Lockeland Table
    Edley’s
    Korea House

What restaurant meals are must-haves to you?
    Roasted Califlower at Etch
    A Gravel Sundae from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams
    The Pharmacy Burger, French Fries with Beer Gravy for Dipping at the Pharmacy
    Chicken Tortilla Soup and Sweet Cream Plantains from Mas Tacos
    Garganelli Verde with Pork Ragout from Rolf and Daughters
    Smoked Hot Wings at Edley’s
    Black Bean Salad at Calypso
    Korean BBQ at Korea House

What MUST my friends see and experience while in Music City?
    Broadway (duh)
    12South Shopping
    East Nashville Shopping (Woodland Shops, Fatherland Shops, Old Made Good)
    Downtown Franklin/Old 96/Natchez Trace Bridge/Leipers Fork
    Carnton Plantation
    A walk through Opryland Hotel
    Country Music Hall of Fame
    Centennial Park
    Hatch

Hope this helps, friend! Have fun 🙂

11. jenn in GA
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM  |  reply

since i’m not from your fair city, i can’t add an iota to the suggestions (except to say that coffee is a must–duh).

i must chime in with Southern Gal and say that your friends aren’t coming to see Nashvegas. They’re coming to see YOU. Y.O.U. they won’t care what you do, as long as they do it WITH YOU.

now, go have a BLAST and feel free to post pictures of them with you so that they can become international celebrities.

12. Jenny
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM  |  reply

Monell’s, Pancake Pantry, Ryman, and you got it—honky-tonkin’

13. Wanda Ammons
    posted on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM  |  reply

Go buy boots at Boot Country (down on Broadway) – buy one pair, get 2 pair free!
    Eat at Loveless Café for sure!
    Eat at Jack’s BBQ (on Broadway)
    Walk through Opryland Hotel
    Country Music Hall of Fame / Museum

14. Caryn
    posted on Apr 02, 2017 at 11:30 PM  |  reply

This post was the perfect find! We are leaving (from Michigan) in the morning for a quick stay in Nashville before we head to Marietta, GA to stay with family. Can’t wait to squeeze some of these places into our time in Nashville!