Hello, 2015.

on January 5, 2015 in SABBATH with 57 comments by

Here’s what New Years Eve was like. Friend-ful.

NYE

That’s how I’ve spent the last few weeks. Surrounded by people that I love, wearing sparkly things, or laying on the couch watching The Paradise. (If you like Downtown Abbey, you’ll love The Paradise. Think Downton, but set in a department store instead of a mansion. Yeah, it’s awesome.)

Speaking of awesome, did you read Emily Freeman’s blog post? I love it. I feel it. I’m so glad I have a blog and I’m so glad you guys show up and I’m so glad we’ve hung out here for the last seven years.

I also appreciate that you don’t panic when I don’t blog for a few weeks. Thanks for not panicking. Not only did I not blog, I pretty much didn’t type- email, words, calculations, none of it. I un-typed for the back half of December.

And I loved it.

A lot of people pick a word a year. I’ve not done it much, I’m not a huge fan of New Year’s Resolutions or putting myself under too much pressure at the start of a year. I don’t love setting myself up for failure, and that is kinda how resolutions have treated me for a few decades.

But last year, I picked the word LOVE and watched for it all year long. The way it showed up in my life was fascinating and beautiful and so Jesus to me.

This year?

Sabbath.

Rest.

I don’t know all the ways it’s going to work. It doesn’t look like weeks off at some beautiful vacation spot because, you know as well as I do, I don’t have weeks off.

But you know what? I kinda like that.

I kinda like that in 2015, I feel like God is calling me to find SABBATH amidst a busy life. It isn’t one or the other- it’s both. Before there was sin on this planet, God created work and rest. They have always gone hand in hand. I want to figure that out in my life.

I’ve ordered a few books to read about SABBATH, and I’m seriously reading about it in the Word, and I’ve started a pinterest board because isn’t that what we do in 2015?

But I’m curious your thoughts on it? What do you know about SABBATH? How do you celebrate it in your life?

Do you have a word for 2015? I’d love to hear what it is and why you picked it.

. . . . .

1. posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 7:24 PM  |  reply

I LOVE this choice. I’ve been trying so hard to honor a Sabbath day each week because I know I need it and I want to embrace that blessing from God. True Sabbath rest (which, I agree, does not = vacations), is so insanely restorative–I wish I’d discovered it sooner. I’d love to hear you share on your blog how you try to make Sabbath happen in your life. Is it just me, or does it require really intentional effort to rest? Thanks for coming back to blog world to love on all of us. Blessings on your 2015!

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:25 PM  |  reply

What does it look like for you, Diana? How do you observe it?

2. posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 7:28 PM  |  reply

I am eager to hear what you learn about Sabbath! That topic has been coming up a lot for me lately. Don’t have too much insight yet, but am learning that it is something that God intended for us, which means it has to be good, right? I have Priscilla Shirer’s study Breathe on my book shelf and am planning to start it soon! My word for 2015 is overwhelmed – weighed down by the miraculous work of the Holy Spirit. Undone by the love, grace, goodness, and mercy of God. My goal is to notice too much of God, to see him everywhere and in every thing.

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:26 PM  |  reply

I’ve heard to do that study! I can’t wait.

And I LOVE your word. At first I was like, “huh?” — but your explanation is beautiful. Love it.

3. Debra Reish
    posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 7:30 PM  |  reply

I’m stealing your word. Sabbath. Perfect.

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:27 PM  |  reply

Let’s figure it out together, Debra. 🙂

4. jenn nahrstadt
    posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 7:49 PM  |  reply

the whole Sabbath concept used to have a grip on me. think bondage. i had been taught there were rules on how good Christians observed it, and i strived HARD to be good. i didn’t work, i didn’t go shopping, and i judged those who did. that’s one of the things bondage does to you.

anyway, God didn’t want me in bondage, so He began to open my eyes to His true intentions on the subject. this article was pivotal in redefining my understanding, my view on Sabbath. would love to know what you think of it:

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:28 PM  |  reply

I’m gonna read it tomorrow, Jenn. Thanks for sharing!

5. posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 8:14 PM  |  reply

Sabbath is a great word! Every year I have a word show up in life at the end of the year. Almost as it’s harassing me. That’s when I know I’ve found my word…so like God! My word this year is Vision and this year I have subwords- anticipation and hope. I think it’s easy to go through life burdened by the everyday stuff so much so that we miss the hope of tomorrow. I don’t want to live that way in 2015.

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:29 PM  |  reply

subwords. I love it. 🙂

6. Emily
    posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 8:29 PM  |  reply

My family has celebrated Sabbath my entire life. We celebrate it from sundown on Friday to sundown on Sabbath. For us, we try to take a true break from our jobs, unplugging from technology as much as possible, spending time in worship and fellowship with friends and family, trying to get out in nature, and making the day as special and as different from the rest of the week as we possibly can. For my family that also means not running errands or hitting up the movie theater, etc., and as best we can focusing on Jesus and the gift of rest He designed for us. It’s the best gift from Jesus we could ask for, short of salvation, and I don’t know how I would function without it.

In undergrad, my small Christian college got together for “family worship” every Friday evening and lit a candle, sang songs together (or sometimes brought in worship bands or CCM artists) and had a speaker inspire us and help us welcome a 24-hour period of rest. Our chaplain would always open vespers by reminding us that Sabbath (known by the Jews as Shabbat) means “stop”, and it was my absolute favorite thing to listen to him start that sentence, and finish it with the few hundred of college students surrounding me.

To me, Sabbath is one big breath, reminding me that God created me to make art, to work and to love others, but also to rest and connect with Him. I’m so glad you picked “Sabbath” for 2015. However it looks for you, I think it’ll be a game-changer.

I’ve never done a word for the year before 2015, but it’s pretty popular around the good ol’ blogosphere, so I decided to try it and I picked “margin”, as in giving myself more space and time to breathe, think, create, etc.

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:30 PM  |  reply

Oh wow- I love that your family made this a priority, Emily! Thanks for sharing.

Margin is a GOOD ONE. Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

7. posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 8:35 PM  |  reply

Annie,
    I have been trying to think of a word for my year. I was telling someone the other day that I feel like I need to get better about making space in my life for my soul to breathe, for my brain to create, and my heart to rest. Sabbath is a great word!

Thanks for continuing to write. I tell people about you all the time, your books and your words have been so encouraging and hopeful for me. You actually are one of the reasons, I want to write myself. Thanks for being you!!

Larissa

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:30 PM  |  reply

You’re so kind, Larissa. Thank you. 🙂

8. posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 8:41 PM  |  reply

I love that you picked Sabbath for your word! The idea of picking one word for the year has really been helpful for me the last couple years as I also seem to set myself up for failure with resolutions. This year my word is Balance. I am really hoping to create a year of balance between so many things, between the calm and chaos, the busyness and stillness and work and rest. Sabbath is something I hope to practice in my journey to creating balance. Thanks for sharing your word with us!

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:32 PM  |  reply

Oh I love your word. Work it, girl. Find that balance.

9. Samantha L.
    posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 8:55 PM  |  reply

God actually gave me two words: consistency and patience. It was quite funny because I wasn’t even praying for having a word for the year, but in the middle of watching an NCIS marathon God gave me those words. I can see where I would need to work on both of those things. I’m such a great starter and new things whether it be a new craft project or deciding to eat healthy, but I’m an even better quitter. I’m not proud of it, but I’ve got to call it like it is. My ability to remain consistent and follow through with things is basically non-existent. As for patience, I am the most impatient person ever so I can see where He was going with that one. I know I have to work on those things, but clearly God REALLY wants me to work on them seeing as he’s willing to interrupt my tv watching to get the point across.

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:33 PM  |  reply

NCIS marathon!! Yessss! Love this, Samantha. Can’t wait to see what the balance of consistency and patience grows in your life this year.

10. posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 10:08 PM  |  reply

I’m with you! I rarely participate in the one word for the year either, but this time was different. It was clear that it would be ADVOCATE.

Here is to a wonderful, RESTFUL new year to you, Annie!

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:34 PM  |  reply

Oh wow! What an interesting word, Krissy. What made you pick advocate?

11. posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 10:10 PM  |  reply

Courageous. I picked “Honesty” last year and little did I know what an impact that anthem would have over my year. The Lord stretched me and provided people along the way to walk with me through my moments of vulnerability and bravery. Can’t wait to see where this word takes me!

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:35 PM  |  reply

Oh I love that, Rebecca. Get it, girl. I’m cheering for you.

12. Anna Kate
    posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 10:20 PM  |  reply

My word for the year is Gold!
    I picked gold for a few reasons..
    1) I came across the verse Job 23:10- “For He knows where I am going, and when He has tested me I will come out as pure gold.” That verse is so true to my life right now. Even when I am unsure of the future, and unexpected trials come, I can rest assured that he is making me gold.

2) I have been fascinated with the idea of refinement lately. When He “refines” U.S. and puts us through the fire, it sure won’t be comfortable, but it will be so worth it.

3) Gold is valuable. This year, I am focusing on calling out the gold in the people around me, and seeing the value in different relationships and circumstances of my life.

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:35 PM  |  reply

I like ALLLLL this reasons, Anna Kate! Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

13. posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 10:49 PM  |  reply

Sabbath. That’s beautiful. And perfect.

Love your blog and your books. I’ve passed on “Let’s All Be Brave” more times than I can count. Your writing is such an encouragement. 🙂

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:37 PM  |  reply

Thanks, Marty. Grateful for your kind words.

14. Josh
    posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:21 PM  |  reply

My word for the year is “Freedom”.

Why did I pick it? Because I want to be free in all areas of my life…free to worship unhindered, free from worry over what others think of me, free to celebrate. I want freedom from anything that Holds me back from fully pursing God fully.

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:38 PM  |  reply

Oh yes, Josh. I love this. Cheering for you as you live in freedom this year like never before!

15. Lindsay
    posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:21 PM  |  reply

My word for 2015 is Celebrate! Great post, Annie. Praying right now that your year will include sweet Sabbath rest. 🙂

• posted on Jan 05, 2015 at 11:38 PM  |  reply

That’s a fun one, Lindsay!!! I hope it’s a great year.

16. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 12:13 AM  |  reply

my word for 2015 is “Grateful”. As humans and especially in today’s society, there’s always something bigger and better. I no longer want to be just content with what I have been given, but rather grateful. Thanking God for all gems given, true honest and genuine thankfulness.

I also make use each letter of my word to
    Help me throughout the year and a verse to help me with that area in my life
    Generous (Dueteronomy 15:10)
    Renown (Isaiah 26:8)
    Action (Colossians 3:22)
    Teach (2 Timothy 2:2)
    Edify (Ephesians 4:29)
    Father (Psalm 68:5)
    Unity (Psalm 133:1)
    Light (Matthew 5:14-16)

• posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 8:03 AM  |  reply

wow wow wow, Amanda. You don’t play, girl! Whoa. Love your word and love the use of each letter!

17. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 4:07 AM  |  reply

I like the end of Isaiah 58 where it says if you call the Sabbath a delight, then you’ll find your joy in the LORD.

• posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 8:03 AM  |  reply

Oh wow! I hadn’t seen that verse yet! Marking it now.

18. Katelynn
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 8:07 AM  |  reply

I love Sabbath! It’s crazy to think that God gave us a time set apart for rest, yet life gets in the way for me so often-even doing things for the Kingdom keeps me from the rest He so graciously provides.

I’ve decided that my word is MORE. For so much of my life, I’ve basically crawled through each day, just trying to make it through. God has made it clear that He has more for me-more love, more joy, more hope, more truth, and ultimately more LIFE. And I’m done being afraid of it.

19. Kelli
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 8:15 AM  |  reply

My word is open. Open to what God wants for me, open to hear His word, open for new opportunities.

20. Heather
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 8:20 AM  |  reply

I’ve never picked a word for the year but I love reading about other people’s words and explanations. Sabbath is such an important concept and it is really quite freeing. I grew up in a congregation (still there actually) that really honours the Sabbath. We attend church services twice (morning and afternoon) and the rest of the day is spent away from work. We also make an effort not to make others work – so that means no restaurants or shopping on Sunday. My Sundays usually find me reading a book, unplugging from technology (though some days I cave :-)), and gathering at my parents’ home with my parents, siblings, nephew, and nieces for Sunday night dinner. So enjoyable and often restorative. I think I appreciated my Sunday rest the most when I was in university. I had one day a week where I couldn’t/wouldn’t study and it was so nice to have that mental break. Now that I own a home-based business, Sabbath rest is also a blessing though it can also be a challenge to honour the Sabbath.

P.S. Annie, I am quite jealous that you spent New Year’s Eve with Lady A! That had to be fantastic!

21. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 8:39 AM  |  reply

I love Sabbath so much! I feel like it is a big factor in keeping me physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually healthy.

I wrote more about it here: http://www.boundless.org/faith/2009/heart-at-leisure

22. Hannah Shaw
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 8:42 AM  |  reply

sabbath has totally changed my life. I never was able to get in the habit of it till college and it took 4 years of trial and error to get there. But what I have found that worked for me is to model the idea of a day after they did in Israel at the son down of the night before. So from aprox 6pm on Saturday night to 6pm on Sunday I don’t do any homework or studying just things for pleasure like watch a movie or read s book for pleasure or spend time in the word. But because this only gos to 6pm on Sunday I still have time to prepare for the week.

It’s an exersice is faith the believe that God has all the parts of your life in control. Really great. And the one sabbath I didn’t observe this I got really sick. I am never doing that again! Aha

Also see the below article that I think is really good!

23. Merideth
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 8:59 AM  |  reply

I love reading these words. I almost want to use all of them they are so good. Right now my word for this year is thrive. I feel like a lot of recent years I have just been getting by, and I want my life to be more than just living/existing/getting through. I want to feel more alive than that. Although, I may change that word later and steal yours Annie. HaHa. Love you girl. Thanks for sharing your heart as always!

24. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 9:13 AM  |  reply

LOVE, that is the word that came to me when I kept thinking I didn’t have one word for this year. And I’ve been a little bit hesitant about it because I didn’t know “what to do with the word” You gave me direction – “watch (ed) for it”. And yet again I am given rest because I don’t have to “do” anything. Just watch for it and then see what happens. LOVE.

And Annie, I pray that you will be richly blessed as you watch for what the Lord Who gave Sabbath does and gives. Learning to honor the Sabbath is an ongoing journey for me.

Bless you sweet lady!

25. Kaitlin
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

I picked trust, I know that in the last two years I haven’t trusted God. I didn’t trust him when my family moved churches, and then I moved schools and still had to live in the same house as I had before. (I’d rather have it all be new) I didn’t trust him when the friends my own age I made at my new church went to new churches of their own. The list goes on and on. So this year I want to grow in trusting him.

26. Mackenzee S.
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

I’m in love with the word you picked for 2015! Sabbath. As a sophomore in college I have seemed to fall short of keeping the Sabbath day holy, as I’m constantly worrying about homework and turning in assignments on time. Its sad to think we take this so lightly when God purposefully demands us to take time to rest. I’m going to definitely try to manage my time more wisely this year! There is something refreshing in the thought of more time for yourself and less worrying about the hustle and bustle of life.

The word I have picked is BRAVE, all thanks to you! I got your book as a gift for Christmas and read it in two quick days! Over Christmas break I’ve had a huge checklist of things to get done before school starts back again, and I kept telling myself I don’t have time to read that book until I finish all my work for next semester, but God had other plans. God spoke so clearly to me and told me to stop what I was doing and take time to read your book and I’m so grateful that I did. Every single word in that book was exactly what I needed to hear in this season of my life. For years I have dug a hole and buried my dreams of being a nurse. Why? Because I wasn’t BRAVE enough. Over Christmas break I have been applying to many different nursing schools as I am only two classes away from finishing my prerequisites. I never thought this day would come but quite frankly I’m scared. Applying to these schools means I might receive letters of rejection…Failure…I hate that word. It also means the possibility of moving away from my sister and high school sweetheart and closer to my parents. Thankfully I serve a God that already has a plan far greater than I could ever imagine. All he is asking me to do is be BRAVE!

27. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 10:37 AM  |  reply

Rerouted.

At first, I was scared of this being my word for the year. I started to get afraid… “But, what if that means leaving something I love? What if I have to do something I don’t want to do?” but then, I really felt the Lord reminding me that it’s good to be rerouted sometimes. That, sometimes, in order to be the best version of ourselves and live the most FULL life, we actually have to do something that isn’t what we first believed to be best for ourselves. So now, instead of being afraid, I’m embracing it. I’m embracing the fact that God wants me to have the best and that I’ve been settling for too long now, and pursuing things that are not meant to be pursued for too long. A coming home, of sorts.

28. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 11:54 AM  |  reply

Annie, my one word for 2015 is BRAVE! A new blogging friend introduced me to your book recently. So I am hoping to read that. I also thought I would check out your website. My word definitely chose me this year. You can read my one word post here: http://prayingontheprairie.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-cowardly-lion-and-being-brave-my.html

Thanks for helping me to be BRAVE!

29. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

Annie,
    I was thrilled to hear your word! Here at Asbury our Wednesday Chapels starting in February through Easter are all focused on Sabbath. Come see us again on a Wednesday – or check out the messages on iTunes.

Hope to see you in 2015!

Blessings,
    Jessica

30. Melinda
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 12:25 PM  |  reply

About 4 years ago, my word(s) for the year were REST/BE STILL…it came from reading/studying Mark Buchanan’s book “The Rest of God”. For a year, I meditated on scripture with this theme and just tried to quiet my life a bit. My guess is you will learn a lot with SABBATH as your word for the year. Exciting! Last year my word was INTENTIONAL…focusing on being intentional in my relationship with God, my family, friends. Being intentional with diet/exercise. Being intentional with my time, my words, my thoughts. It was such a great focus, I’m keeping it for this year as well. My “theme” verse was 1 Chronicles 28:9….some of David’s parting words to Solomon.

31. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 12:37 PM  |  reply

I can’t help but read Sabbath as “shabbat.” Friday evening worships at our Christian college included our chaplain talking about Shabbat and how it means “stop” and that’s exactly what Sabbath rest is… stopping. So calming and necessary in this plugged in 24/7 culture. I imagine rest is just what you’ll find this year!

Sabbath has been in our family’s routine for a few generations, but I’m still figuring it out. Here are my posts on that journey >> http://www.beginnerbeans.com/search/label/sabbath.

This is my year of Freedom. That was my word in 2013 but it had a little more of a financial bent then. I’m looking for it in other places this year 🙂

32. Lenyer
    posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 2:45 PM  |  reply

I love the word you have chosen! My family has been celebrating the Sabbath the last four years, and it has been such a blessing. For us, we try to spend quality time together as a family. We also try to abstain from shopping and eating out as well as from excess technology and media usage.

This year, I picked a few words put together: Run Wild. Live Free. Love Strong. which is from For King and Country’s newest album. That song (and album) has inspired me so much the last few months, and I was listening to this song on the first and I decided that this was what I want my new year to be.

I look forward to continuing to read here the next year and beyond!

33. posted on Jan 06, 2015 at 3:11 PM  |  reply

My word for the year is Magic. Don’t know why. I didn’t pick it- it picked me.

I wanted Bold, or Brave… something measurable. Something I could be intentional about.

But Magic picked me, and so there it is. Waiting to see what 2015 has to say…

(But this quote that I saw first thing on the first day of the year really let me know that this was the word:
    “May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”
    – Neil Gaiman)

34. Pam Dow
    posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 6:27 AM  |  reply

This is the first time that I have done the One Word thing. My word is FEARLESS. I have dealt with fear so much in my life, fear of loss, fear of storms, fear that I’m not in control and it’s time to kick fear out of my life! God keeps telling me I have a voice that needs to be heard and I need to be intentional in encouraging others! Praying for a great 2015!

35. Rita
    posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 11:25 AM  |  reply

I love that you picked Sabbath, because that word alone has the potential to encompass so many other words for the year- rest, trust, worship, faith, loyal, relationship, serve… I could go on! But I know you will be blessed because Sabbath was my word in 2014!

I too grew up “keeping the Sabbath” from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. Unfortunately, the day was filled with a “Godly” to-do list, in which the church filled my day with good activities, leaving little room for personal, one-on-one time with God. Sabbath was no longer a delight. So in 2014, I was intentional in seeking to worship, fellowship, encourage others, serve from my heart and simply be still in order to hear His Voice during the Sabbath.

Its was hard to put everything aside and trust God because I tend to want to be in control, but by re-discovering the Sabbath, I found it was more than just rest, but also trusting Him. I love that He set this day apart from the rest to remind me of Who He is in our relationship- my Creator, my Redeemer, my Provider- and He’s worthy of my trust. By the end of 2014, Sabbath felt more like a weekly pep rally to celebrate Him! I prepared for the Sabbath by seeking His daily blessings and found that my heart would be anxious to worship Him by week’s end!

My word for 2015 is fear- to live in awe of who God is and the many ways He’s making my life wonderful!

36. posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 4:58 PM  |  reply

Sabbath was my word in 2011, Annie! It was the most Spirit-given of all my One Words, and thus, it sank the deepest. I wrote about it constantly that year; I even did 30 (::cough:: 21 ::cough::) Days of Sabbath. And it’s still melting into my marrow. I’m speaking about at a women’s conference in Minneapolis in March.

But if I had to distill it down to one, easy-to-understand, introductory post, I would use this one I wrote for my dear friend Megan at SortaCrunchy. http://www.sortacrunchy.net/sortacrunchy/2014/03/waiting-tables-day-four-practicing-sabbath-from-kelly-of-love-well-.html

I wish you so much refreshment, rest and restoration as you start your Sabbath journey! If you ever want to talk about it – well, that’s why God created Voxer.

37. posted on Jan 08, 2015 at 4:32 PM  |  reply

My word for the year is DWELL.

This year I want to dwell in the present moment. To let go of the past and not let regrets or “if only” steal my present joy. I want to let go of worrying about the future and allowing “what if” to cloud my vision. I want to be fully present with those around me. To fully engage in my present circumstances. To see the beauty that is before me each and every day.

38. posted on Jan 10, 2015 at 1:06 PM  |  reply

Sabbath is a good one! I think the best way for me to observe Sabbath is to rest– whether that means literally sleep (which I believe is a spiritual endeavor on some days!) or take a break and do something mindless for awhile. I spend so much of my time going and doing I forget to just BE sometimes. I got the book Creating Spiritual Whitespace at Q Women (where I heard you speak and got my hands on Let’s All Be Brave!) and I’m planning to read it next, after I finish Learning to Walk in the Dark by Barbara Brown Taylor.

My word for 2015 is brave! After reading Let’s All Be Brave I decided I needed to figure out what brave looks like for me; I’m a scaredy cat/worrier/ anxious person, so I never could see myself as brave. I’m gonna try to fix that this year! Especially this year, since I have plenty of things to be brave about–like the fact that I graduate college in December with a teaching degree! Yikes. This year has every reason for me to be worried/anxious/ terrified about the future, but I’ve decided I’m gonna find my brave and tackle it head on. Thank you for your words– they really made an impact!

39. Leilani
    posted on Jan 13, 2015 at 3:13 PM  |  reply

Aloha Annie,
    Here is my word for this year. demonstrate= To show proof. Like you said on your podcast the word found me! Okay Lord show me, lead me….

40. posted on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:42 PM  |  reply

[…] Downs has recently begun picking a word for every year. She blogs about it here. I have never done this before, but I loved reading all the different ways that the word she chose […]