That Sounds Fun Podcast: Episode 3!

on January 7, 2015 in SABBATH, That Sounds Fun Podcast with 16 comments by

podcast3

Oh we had the best time recording this episode yesterday! Episode 3 of the That Sounds Fun podcast is with my favorite (only) assistant Sarah. We sat down at the dining room table and talked about our words for 2015. You know mine is SABBATH, and it is infusing most of my conversations right now, including this one.

Literally. Here we are. At the dining room table. Yesterday.

IMG_7280

That’s me, using a computer program that might as well be in Chinese to me and literally every podcast takes me three times the amount of minutes of a normal person with a brain and knowledge of GarageBand. And the microphone is far closer to Sarah because MY VOLUME IS A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH.

All that said :), I hope you enjoy this episode! (You can listen here or hop over to iTunes and download it!)

Here are links to the things we discuss or share in this podcast:

Episode 1 of That Sounds Fun

Episode 2 of The Sounds Fun

Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors

MomentMaker by Carlos Whittaker

One Word 365 (This website is REALLY cool! I’m so impressed!)

The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan

Review/rate this podcast

. . . . .

By the way, here are some other books I’m going to read about SABBATH, if you are interested:

Sabbath by Dan Allender

Sabbath As Resistance by Walter Brueggemann

Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winner

24/6 by Matthew Sleeth

Breathe by Priscilla Shirer

Let me know if you have any other suggestions- of things I should read OR books Sarah should read about “explore” as her word for 2015 OR conversations you want to hear on the podcast OR people you want me to interview! I’m all ears, you guys!

. . . . .

1. posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 10:00 AM  |  reply

I have really enjoyed these, Annie. The car is my second home, so having your podcasts handy have been a DELIGHT. Topics I’d like to hear about? Hmmm…just more of the same: books, music, author interviews, faith, writing, whatever is on your mind!

2. Jeanne
    posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 12:25 PM  |  reply

Thank you for this! My word is connect !!

3. posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 2:26 PM  |  reply

Love your podcast friend! A book that I LOVED on Sabbath that really resonated with me is The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan. If you haven’t read it yet, I wouldn’t definitely add it to your list. Happy New Year! 🙂

4. posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 3:14 PM  |  reply

[…] {UPDATE: after just listening to Annie Downs’ third episode of her hilariously awesome podcast That Sounds Fun, I’m seeing the intention behind declaring one word over your entire year. We’ll see, more […]

5. posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 9:52 PM  |  reply

I like odd numbered years and ages best too! Thanks for the fun podcast. 🙂

6. posted on Jan 07, 2015 at 10:20 PM  |  reply

Also: 1) my word for this year is Believe. Actually that came to me at the beginning of Advent and I’m carrying on with it now. 2) Ummm you’ll be in Sioux Falls, SD?? That is under 3 hours from me!! I’m keeping that on my radar for sure. I’ve never been there.. but I’ve always wanted to.. although I don’t know why!

7. posted on Jan 08, 2015 at 10:52 AM  |  reply

Not sure if you saw this, but The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan is on sale on Amazon today! I’m really interested in finding rest/sabbath in this new season of a mom to a busy baby (who seems to not need sleep!). I’m still not sure what my One Word is yet this year, I’m using the month of January to reflect and plan, rather than rush to come up with something after the holidays, which I have done in the past and then not really focused on it during the year. 🙂

Thanks for the fun podcast!

8. posted on Jan 08, 2015 at 5:28 PM  |  reply

This is my fifth year having a word for the year. My word is imagine. It is always amazing to me how God challenges me using my word each year! Some ideas, make a vision board around your word and keep it where you can see it (did this with my friends this week! it’s on my blog) Read books about your word. Keep your word in front of you. embroider it. make it into a quilt. a painting. a necklace. whatever it takes! Be open to the possibility that God is calling you to this word for different reasons than you think! Loving your podcast…

9. posted on Jan 08, 2015 at 7:21 PM  |  reply

Enjoyed the podcast, Annie! I was a first time listener. My word for 2015 is “Established”. The Lord gave it to me mid-December when my Pastor was explaining that a Christmas tree without a base or stand to hold it up cannot be appreciated or enjoyed. Likewise, we as Believers must be established – we need a base, a stand, to hold us upright – in order to be all that God desires for us to be. Blessings to you!

10. Jessica
    posted on Jan 09, 2015 at 1:14 PM  |  reply

Hi Annie,

I loved this podcast. This is my second year choosing a word – last year I chose three. (It was one of those years!) My word for 2015 is “peace”. I felt connected to a lot of what you were saying surrounding “Sabbath”. Many of the books you recommended were already on my wishlist. I have started “Sacred Rhythms” by Ruth Barton and so far it is really speaking to the burnt out place I have been in. I chose “peace” because it feels like I had such big changes in the last 5 years that for a while all I craved was quiet. I want to learn to seek better ways, just as you mentioned about many in 2015, to take care of myself. “Peace” kept returning to me every time I would think of the upcoming year. I am excited to see where God takes me with that.

Thank you, and Sarah, for sharing your hearts.

Lots of love and blessings,
    Jessica

11. posted on Jan 10, 2015 at 6:18 PM  |  reply

My word for this year?…Leadership! Can you recommend any good books on the topic? Currently reading your “Let’s All Be Brave”!

12. posted on Jan 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM  |  reply

So enjoyed this podcast today, Annie! And I totally second 24/6 by Matthew Sleeth—the book itself was restful!

a

13. posted on Mar 30, 2015 at 3:11 PM  |  reply

After the retreat this weekend, I couldn’t help but look up your podcast (because I’m a sucker for listening to stuff while I work), and I came across this one and it kinda stopped me dead in my tracks. I have a word this year, but I never thought to approach it the way you suggest. This is going to be my quiet time tomorrow. My word this year is HOPE. When God led me to that word, I was floored and burst into tears. Last year was “abide” and I think I might have fallen completely off a cliff with it.

Also, LOVING “Let’s All Be Brave”. Seriously, I may read this about ten times and I may have already underlined about a dozen quotes and written in the margins. I had forgotten some of the things I have wanted to do, but haven’t out of fear of rejection. Thank you for the re-awakening my friend.

14. posted on Dec 26, 2016 at 5:03 PM  |  reply

[…] I was inspired by one of my favorite Christian writers Annie F. Downs to have a word of the year. On her podcast she described her practice of picking a word and […]

15. posted on Dec 26, 2016 at 5:23 PM  |  reply