We need to talk about Friday Night Lights

on May 6, 2015 in Uncategorized with 29 comments by

Friday Night Lights

It was a cold cold day in February when the roommate and I decided that if we were gonna be snowed in, we were starting a show on Netflix that would could binge and binge hard.

People have told me for years that they thought I’d love Friday Night Lights since I’m a sports lovin’ gal and I think teenagers are cool and since dramatic family television is my favorite (think Parenthood or Gilmore Girls or 7th Heaven or The Waltons or anything on Hallmark). I actually don’t know why I hadn’t ever started the show, but I didn’t.

Until that fateful day in February.

And now, Roomie and I are 1/3 of the way through Season 4 (there are 5 seasons total) and we are equal parts rushing through because we want to see every episode and taking it slow because we never want it to end.

TIM RIGGINS, Y’ALL. TIM RIGGINS.

And Coach Taylor. Gracious. I like that guy. I have some issues with his daughter Julie’s behavior, but I like her. And I just love that Tami.

(Random sidenote. Tami Taylor (Connie Britton) is now on a television show called Nashville that is based, wait for it, in Nashville. So she and many of the cast live here in town. In fact, Connie and I live less than a mile apart and cross paths often. Not a big deal to me in 2014- fun to see her and her perfect hair around town, but eh, no biggie. But NOW? NOW SHE IS TAMI TAYLOR AND I CANNOT BE COOL AROUND HER. So I avoid her in public. End of sidenote.)

Speaking of Tami Taylor, she has GOT to quit listening to the local radio station every morning on her drive to school. I’m like, “Come on, Dillion, Texas! Surely you have at least ONE OTHER radio station!” because how horrible would it be to hear people calling in about you and your husband and y’all’s job performance. Woof. No thanks.

Smash Williams. Love him.

East Dillon. Hard switch from blue to red, but I think I can get behind it. Go Lions.

Lyla Garrity. The child needs counseling so bad it isn’t even funny. But I wish her the best of luck at Vandy! And her dad. Y’all. Somebody put Buddy Garrity in counseling immediately. The man has got ISSUES FOR DAYS.

Jason Street. His storyline lasted waaaaaay longer than it needed to. Bless him.

TIM RIGGINS. Texas forever, Tim.

Matt Saracen. Sigh. What a nice kid. I love him to pieces.

Landry Clarke. Well my word, son, you’ve become one of my favorite characters on the show. I didn’t see that coming in episode 1, but I’m glad for it.

JD McCoy. I don’t have space for you in my life.

Tyra. God bless her. I hope she’s a successful adult.

Friday Night Lights. Please last forever and ever amen.

These are my thoughts.

Without it being a spoiler party down in the comments (please please please don’t spoil the ending for me), tell me how you feel about Friday Night Lights! Have you watched it? Do you LOVE it? Sad it’s over? Ready to start it for the first time?

Also. WHAT SHOULD ROOMIE AND I WATCH NEXT?!?

. . . . .

1. Face
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 4:23 AM  |  reply

You know Coach Taylor is from (Where’s) Loganville AND he went to UGA right? So we’re pretty much besties.

2. AmyW
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 4:31 AM  |  reply

I *love* FNL! One of my friends lent me the box set at the end of last year and like you, I wanted to keep watching episode after episode, but at the same time didn’t want it to end. I was so sad when I reached the last one! I pretty much agree with all your thoughts on the characters, but I don’t want to say anything more in case I accidentally spoiler anything for you! 🙂

3. Julie
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 6:16 AM  |  reply

Sounds like Friday Night Lights is my new show to watch. Thanks for the recommendation!

4. Anna
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 6:54 AM  |  reply

I live in Virginia in the same town where Connie Britton was born and raised! My husband taught at her school for many years. She’ll occasionally pop up in town, but I’ve never seen her. I would die. I love me some Tammi Taylor! I really tried to get my husband on board with naming our first child Landry but it was a no go 🙂 Have you met Luke Cafferty yet???? Stay tuned!
    Have you watched Hart of Dixie? It’s a silly, fun, heartwarming show! We also fell in love with The Good Wife after binge watching it the past few months. Happy binge watching!

5. Lauren
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 8:07 AM  |  reply

I cried like a BABY when the series came to an end! I too have a guilty pleasure of all shows family drama, HA! The character development and story lines get SO GOOD! I so wish they’d somehow bring it back… =) And not to mention the music is insane…hello Explosions in the Sky! If you aren’t already a fan, you should check them out. Beautiful music!

6. posted on May 06, 2015 at 8:13 AM  |  reply

SO MUCH TO SAY!!!!

7. posted on May 06, 2015 at 8:18 AM  |  reply

*snort* Um. I didn’t mean to stop there. Although really, you should just Vox me and we can talk Friday Night Lights all the live long day. But just in case that’s not on your to-do list…

Coach Taylor is just THE BEST. And Coach and Mrs. Coach? Wow. Definitely the best and most realistic marriage I have ever seen on TV. Yes, yes, yes, Matt Saracen was such a nice boy. Julie Taylor? Ugh. I won’t say she was the WORST. But. She wasn’t the best. By far.

Sadly I agree with the Jason Street storyline. Just move ON, already. (Talking to the show. Not him. That would be rude.)

Oh my, I really think these are real people. And since we finished watching the show (Mark and I watched it over several months for the first time last year/this year.), I have missed Dillon and its people (really. my people. They became my people.) so much. I definitely understand that rushing to the end and slowing down at the same time!

Finally (for now. Because seriously, I could talk for days.), TIM RIGGINS. I was Not Impressed with him and his long, greasy hair at first. I did not understand everyone’s obsession with him! And then…well, then I got it. I do love a redemption story so much.

8. posted on May 06, 2015 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Oh, also? I hated JD McCoy and his stupid, smug father that I looked on IMDB to find out how many more episodes I had to endure with them in it. Because THEY were The Worst.

9. Rachel Beckler
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

Annie!!!! My husband and I have been binge watching Friday Night Lights since February too, and we JUST watched the series finale two nights ago!! My husband had seen it before and I had never watched it, but he assured me I would love it… and I was/still am OBSESSED. I literally agree with everything you said. And being a coach myself I ate the show up. I also don’t know what to do with myself now that it’s over. It’s THAT good. You made my day with this post- and you will love the ending!

10. Tiffany
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

I LOVE this show so much I’ve re watched it 3 times now! I feel like they’re my family. I agree with the person that said you need to watch Hart of Dixie next. Such a good, fun show. But FNL, you’ll miss it so bad. All the people. I need a town like Dillon.

11. Lauren
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 9:52 AM  |  reply

We were in love with FNL, parenthood, and all of those shows! If you haven’t watched Brother’s & Sisters yet, that is an amazing show! Not too many seasons, but worth watching (and crying).

12. posted on May 06, 2015 at 10:20 AM  |  reply

Ohmyword. Friday Night Lights is my favorite ever in all of the times of television and internets and everything. I binge watched on Netflix and the whole thing is exactly like the tiny town I was in for high school. It was like one huge, emotional, flashback. I was SO sad for it to end.

13. angela
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

just finished binging on Lost. Was wondering where to go next. After reading your post, I now have clear Netflix direction. Thanks, Annie!

14. posted on May 06, 2015 at 12:07 PM  |  reply

“JD McCoy. I don’t have space for you in my life.”

AMEN. Also, I strongly dislike Julia and all of her antics… And Tim Riggins? I love him, like, LOVE HIM. And the fact that you see Connie Britton everywhere makes me want to move to Nashville immediately, outside of other factors (like the music, the history, and being able to have coffee with you in real life sometime).

You need to watch Hart of Dixie, Parenthood, Brothers & Sisters, One Tree Hill, Bloodline (it’s a little dark but the main character is Coach Taylor!!!), and Parks & Rec. Also, please watch a movie on Netflix called “Backwards”; its a fun story about Olympic rowing, if you are into that sort of thing. 🙂

15. Ashton
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 12:44 PM  |  reply

TEXAS FOREVER.

I’ve never even been to Texas and I want to say that when I leave conversations all.the.time. I watched all five seasons in about five days two summers ago. I just couldn’t quit it. So good. SO GOOD. I may or may not have cried like a baby in the last episode … Also, ditto on all of your character breakdowns. Yes please, Tim Riggins.

And I 100% want to be Tami Taylor when I grow up – whenever that happens.

16. Ioana
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 1:44 PM  |  reply

I loved, loved, looooved FNL. and i’m not even american, nor aware of what the rules of american football, but i gotta give it to this show – LOVE!

17. Elizabeth
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 5:55 PM  |  reply

I’m a high school counselor and my husband is a head basketball coach. We named our dog Riggins. So it’s safe to say we are big time fans of FNL. I like to think my life is kinda like Tami’s…

I agreed with everything you said about every character. It’s such a fantastic show. And I need it to come back.

18. Jenny
    posted on May 06, 2015 at 7:42 PM  |  reply

I love FNL!! And you see Connie Britton?! Oh my word. I started watching Nashville bc I loved her as Tami Taylor. Have you seen Felicity? That’s my other fave.

19. Rosanne Green
    posted on May 07, 2015 at 7:42 PM  |  reply

Tim Riggins. That is all.

20. katie
    posted on May 07, 2015 at 8:40 PM  |  reply

Yes, I recently binged on FNL and loved it! (and i’m no fan of football – so that’s saying a lot)
    did you know The Swede from season 2 is also Shakey Graves?
    plus he has a song called “Big Time Nashville Star”

my current Netflix friend: Land Girls
    also, The Guardian (with Simon Baker) is another fine, dramatic choice
    my condolences as your FNL watching comes to a close

21. Erin Baltz
    posted on May 08, 2015 at 10:08 PM  |  reply

So, I might have a “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose” t-shirt.

22. posted on May 11, 2015 at 2:23 PM  |  reply

Ok. I just finished How I Met Your Mother, and needed a new series to begin. This will be it. Thanks!

23. posted on May 12, 2015 at 12:34 PM  |  reply

Good news for you as you are nearing the final season: it’s a fairly re-watchable show. I have seen the pilot episode a bunch of times and it still totally gets to me. I’m on the edge of my seat even though I know what happens. Bad news: you won’t find another show like this one. You’ll need a moment of tv silence after you finish FNL and it will take you a while to move on. But you will be ok with that, cause you won’t want to move on.

“I don’t have space for you in my life” hahahahahahaha. Agree. Agree. And yes, Landry is awesome! What did you think of the plot line with him and Tyra and the stalker guy? Grandma Saracen is one of my other favorite characters. Even though I get annoyed with Julie (this is sounding like I’m talking about a real person…) I still appreciate her because, like most of the characters, she reminds me of people in my hometown and therefore adds to the realism.

24. Stephanie
    posted on May 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM  |  reply

As a fan of Parenthood, how have you NOT seen FNL before now? Anything Jason Katims does basically the best.

I kinda want to be Tami Taylor when I grow up. I love love LOVE the Taylor’s picture of marriage and how they support each other. I’m in love with Matt Seracen and who could ever beat Riggins. He’s just the best. And I agree with Frances, you will not stop talking about FNL because there is not other show you will like more than this one.

CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN’T LOSE

25. Rachel Gunn
    posted on May 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM  |  reply

My husband and I are in the last season of Gilmore Girls and we LOVE it! We will definitely check out this new show! Have you ever seen the tv show “Psych”? I have a feeling you’d love it.

26. Heather
    posted on May 19, 2015 at 6:06 PM  |  reply

I just found you…and already you are my people. Clear eyes, full heart, can’t lose.

27. Meagan S
    posted on Jun 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM  |  reply

Your thoughts are almost exactly my thoughts when it comes to FNL. TIM RIGGINS. Texas Forever. And Tami Taylor – life goals: be Tami Taylor.

Clear eyes, Full hearts, Can’t lose.

28. Lyndsey
    posted on Jul 16, 2015 at 4:36 PM  |  reply

Just getting around to commenting…totally LOVE FNL,my husband coaches football and I rewatch every season!! Did you see this from Saracen’s real life wedding? Landry played guitar! http://jonaspeterson.com/wedding/wedding-zach-kiele-napa-california/

29. John
    posted on Dec 16, 2015 at 8:05 AM  |  reply

Accidentally i found movie friday night lights.I found it interesting but then i discovered that there is a tv series with the same title.I feel very lucky that i started watching FNL. I am pretty sure that is the best tv series.I am at the begining of 4th season right now and i have already thinking of how i will feel after the last episode.I am sure i will miss it.I think i will search filmography of coach taylor, tami taylor, tim riggins and matt saracen and then i will start watching some of them in order to reminds me of FNL watching times!!Printing on a t-shirt Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose will be a perfect idea!