Why I’m glad your daughter is in our b.fab class.

on May 13, 2015 in Nash-livin', PCOS with 9 comments by

BFab

Every week, I go to an amazingly fun workout class called b.fab.fitness.

The local community center’s gymnasium fills up with women of all kinds and for an hour, we dance and shake and squat and have really the best time exercising that you could ever imagine.

Like, I love it. There’s not a lot of exercise that I LOVE. There’s some that I like, and a few I tolerate, a few I avoid (I’m looking at you, spin class), but b.fab? I LOVE IT.

During b.fab, around the edges of the gym, sitting on the floor, are kiddos. Some play on phones, some sing along, some do their homework. And a few of the little gals? They get up and do all the moves right along with us.

And I am so glad.

I am glad because I love the idea that these girls are getting to be in a room full of women having a really great time while also getting a pretty legit workout. They don’t know me, but they see me smiling and sweating at the same time and my heart hopes it speaks to them about what exercise is supposed to be.

I am glad because these mamas are modeling for their gals that exercise is a priority and a fun way to spend an hour.

I am glad because these mamas are modeling for ME how to teach my future daughter about exercise.

I am glad because I watch as the mamas give high-fives to their daughters after they’ve finished a particularly challenging song and are headed to grab a drink of water and I think there is something really beautiful about sharing that moment with your mom.

I am glad because dang those girls got moves! Maybe it is because they are closer to the ground and have a lower center of gravity or because they don’t have the body of a 34 year old (ahem), but I am constantly impressed at how good the little gals are at every dance.

I am glad because whether those mamas realize it or not, they are teaching their daughters (and ME!) that health matters and that exercise is fun.

I am glad because I get to see families make healthy choices together. It’s one of the major tenets I want to build into my family unit when I make one someday- exercise isn’t a must-do, it’s a wanna-do that we choose-to-do because that’s who we wanna-be.

I think about it every week and think that that’s the kind of mama I want to be.

So I’m really glad those girls are in b.fab.fitness with their moms because it has made me want to be a better and healthier mom.

. . . . .

(By the way, here’s a video of one of my favorite songs we do. Don’t look too hard- I promise you times a million that I was not there the night they filmed this, so you won’t find me in the crowd… but I do know every last move to this one.)

. . . . .

1. Face
    posted on May 13, 2015 at 6:21 AM  |  reply

This is encouraging. I’m always nervous about taking my kids to a workout class bc I figure it’s annoying to all the other participants. Maybe I’m wrong…?!
    I also love that by sitting on the side, the kids see their moms making themSELVES a priority, for one hour, and that they (the kids) will survive it.

• posted on May 13, 2015 at 8:24 AM  |  reply

I think if the room was equal number kids and adults, that would be annoying. But it’s only about 3-4 little gals who dance with us and they are on the back row or very front row. I just happen to see them because of where I stand.

But also? Your children are adorable and would never annoy a single person. 🙂

And you’re right! Great thought about mom being a priority to herself.

2. posted on May 13, 2015 at 6:30 AM  |  reply

Oh I love this so much! I’ve got serious move envy though – those mama get DOWN – my wiggle doesn’t look quite like that 😉 Maybe one day we’ll get to grab a Zumba class together!

• posted on May 13, 2015 at 8:25 AM  |  reply

I knew you would. 🙂

3. posted on May 13, 2015 at 7:38 AM  |  reply

I love this!!! What a fabulous idea!

I have a couple little girls myself and I really want them to have a healthy perspective on exercise. My personal preference is to get outside but occasionally I’ve done videos indoors. Unfortunately, many of those provide messages I don’t really want engrained in my girls’ heads. (“You’ll have rockin’ buns by summer!” No thanks.)

This class sounds great! I’m up for anything that can put a smile on my face when I’m working out! 🙂

• posted on May 13, 2015 at 8:26 AM  |  reply

Right! That’s one of the great things about this class to me- we get to do fun moves, but the music and instructions are positive and clean and all ages appropriate. 🙂

4. Nikki
    posted on May 13, 2015 at 8:17 AM  |  reply

That looks fun and hard!

5. Paige
    posted on May 13, 2015 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

I think this is also a testament to what a unique community has come together at Coleman. I don’t know that this would be tolerated everywhere. The empowerment and encouragement in that room are amazing- something I’ve never experienced in another fitness environment.

6. posted on May 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

I love everything about this post and that video. Inspires me to go and get my Zumba back on – it’s been too long.