I am on social media restriction.

on August 4, 2015 in AnnieWrites with 15 comments by

restriction

When I was a teenager, my parents put me on restriction for one of two reasons:

1. I was doing something I wasn’t supposed to do.
  2. Where I wanted to go, they didn’t want me to go, and the only way to protect me was to ground me.

When I was on restriction, it meant no TV, no computer, no friends over, no going to friends’ houses, and sometimes, if I had REALLY disobeyed, NO READING. (I only remember that once. It was the pits.)

Well, I’m officially putting myself on social media restriction.

Here’s the thing- I haven’t been able to tell you tons about it yet, but I’m currently writing my next book. (SQUEAL! HAPPY! YAY!) and the deadline cometh.

I’ve noticed throughout June and July that I spend a lot lot lot lot of time on social media during writing hours. Like, an embarrassing amount. When I can’t come up with the right word or sentence, instead of sitting and thinking, I check Facebook. And the next thing you know it’s an hour later and I’m in the bowels of BuzzFeed.

So that’s restriction reason #1. I’m doing something I’m not supposed to do- wasting my writing time playing on social media.

But there’s restriction reason #2 at play here too.

I see myself loving social media too much. Calling it an addiction may be too strong of a word, but ever since I wrote this post for (in)courage a few weeks ago I’ve been thinking about it. Why have I quit reading? Why do I keep my nose in my phone? What has happened to me? I don’t like where I’m going or who I’m becoming when it comes to time given to social media. So I’m putting myself on restriction.

I’m not burnt out or too tired or needing a break or anything like that. To be honest, I wish I could say that because I feel like when writers say things like, “I’m drawing boundaries to breathe deeper” and fancy language like that, it makes them sound really mature and balanced.

But the truth is, I’m spending too much time on social media and it’s hurting my work and maybe my soul. (Not so mature sounding, unfortunately.)

So for the month of August, I’m stepping away from the internet (except email- so if you need me, you can still get me.) And we are still booking speaking events for 2016, so you can email us about that too.

You will see a few posts happen this month here on the blog and on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, but those are prescheduled or posted by someone on my team because we do have some awesome stuff happening this month that I want to share.

If you happen to think of it, your prayers as I write this month would be greatly appreciated. The goal is to write approximately 1500 words a day, the book is about beauty and perseverance, and I want it to be the best book I’ve ever written.

Hugs to y’all. See you August 31st!

Sincerely,

signature

1. Merideth
    posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 8:31 AM  |  reply

Sounds like your parents and my parents thought alike. My parents’ idea of grounding was no anything. No television, video games, VCR, telephone, or going outside to play or go see friends, and for sure no company outside family. Anyway, I completely get where you are coming from witht he internet invading valuable spaceand time. I will be praying for your time this month, and especially for the writing of the book to go well. Sound like it will be another amazing one and I can’t wait until it comes out! Love ya girl.

2. posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 8:41 AM  |  reply

Annie your glow shines bright even when you aren’t “sharing” it! I cannot WAIT to read your next book and I know this time spent dedicated to writing will be special & productive. Keep it up, sister! Xo

3. posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

I loved hearing your heart and transparency on your choice to step away for a time. I think it’s a great reminder for all of us! You go girl!

4. Kelly
    posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 9:11 AM  |  reply

Kudos for you!!! I think this is an awesome MATURE thing to do..I should do this as well…I also cannot wait for your next book I LOVED and shared my copy of Share Love and Perfectly Unique with my 3 girls and CANNOT wait to share the next one!!!!

5. posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 10:47 AM  |  reply

You got this! I think it’s a wise decision. Can’t wait to read your next book, and I will definitely be praying for you, Annie!

6. posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 11:21 AM  |  reply

I wanna be like you when I grow up, Annie. Your confession nailed me. I need to be brave and do something about it. I think the first step is taking Instagram off my phone. It’s way too alluring when words won’t come and loneliness sits heavy in this sanguine heart of mine. Praying for August to be pregnant with words and beauty and perseverance for us both! Can’t wait to read your next book. ?

7. posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 1:15 PM  |  reply

All the best as you dive into that book, Annie. I am not your target audience, but I love to read and share your books with younger women I know. I look forward to reading/reviewing this new book on my blog.
    Take care.

• posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 1:18 PM  |  reply

Yes you are, Darlene! Let’s All Be Brave is for adults and the next one is too! 🙂 Thank you for your kind words.

8. Emily
    posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 2:31 PM  |  reply

Praying for you! Can’t wait.

9. Andrea
    posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 7:07 PM  |  reply

Annie, it’s so funny you wrote about this today … I posted something similar on my blog. Which you prob won’t read hence your restriction but I just want to encourage you and tell you your brave and love that your sharing it with us. Thank you!! Can’t wait to hear more about the book. Prayers!!!
    Here’s my blog in case you do get a chance to read it. . andreabreece

10. posted on Aug 04, 2015 at 11:13 PM  |  reply

Congrats on the upcoming book! I have been away from social media for the last 6 years. It was a wonderful decision for me. Sometimes we need to take a step back to focus on other things. Can’t wait to hear more from you in September!

11. KR
    posted on Aug 05, 2015 at 3:32 PM  |  reply

I will miss you but appreciate (and am challenged/encouraged/convicted by) your discipline. Can’t wait for the book and I will be praying for you in your absence. August 2015 will be your best one yet.

12. posted on Aug 06, 2015 at 12:17 AM  |  reply

Annie… Looking forward to this next read! I too waste away my brain scrolling but I’m not writing a book (I wish!) hope many healing and funny words come easily.

13. Charlotte Orth
    posted on Aug 06, 2015 at 1:40 PM  |  reply

You are very brave! I need to put myself on restriction as well. I am retired and while my husband watches tv, which does not interest me at all, I am reading facebook and blogs all day. I also love to listen to podcasts on all kinds of subjects.

14. posted on Aug 07, 2015 at 4:27 PM  |  reply

So the first thing I thought of when I read this was, Oh – I should take a social media break too. Then I just laughed and laughed. So my question is, how many times have you scheduled this in Hootsuite over the next month? And are you allowed to check your comments to this post? I am a little worried for you. But seriously, so proud of you for tuning out and getting focused on your book. Can’t wait to read it!