When What You Want Brings Joy and Sadness

on August 24, 2015 in (in)courage, Single Stuff with 6 comments by

Annie F Downs August (in)courage post

The older I get, the more I realize I can’t often just categorize experiences as GOOD or BAD, painful or happy. It seems that events and moments tend to mix together like a casserole.

I had an experience like this recently, and wrote about it over at (in)courage.

It’s important to me to be honest with you about what this single life feels like- the parts that are a joy and the parts that are hard and the time when it is both.

And so that’s what I tried to do here. Hope you like it. <3

. . . . .

Are you new around these parts? Well welcome!

Hi. I’m Annie.

I love my job and I think it’s awesome.

I get to write books and speak to groups around the country.

(In fact, you can download two free chapters of my most recently released book here!)

You can read more about me here.

. . . . .

I love connecting with new friends, so find me all over the internet:

. . . . .

1. Christine
    posted on Aug 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM  |  reply

I just read your post at in(courage), and it was so beautiful! I think so much of life is how you describe – wonderful and sad. Thank you for writing this!!! 🙂

2. posted on Aug 24, 2015 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

Simple yet complicated, but well said. What a great reminder of how simple and complicated life actually is 🙂

A faith’s confession

3. posted on Aug 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM  |  reply

Hi Annie:), Yes, Thanks for sharing your beautiful post, and important reminders, eg remembering that there is “joy in grieving in grief in joy”. apt! God bless you:)

4. Emily
    posted on Aug 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM  |  reply

So well said. I have struggled with this so many times, but couldn’t quite name it as well as you. Thank you for putting it into words so well. The concept also reminded me of the movie Inside Out – go see it if you haven’t already. good stuff!

5. Jen
    posted on Sep 03, 2015 at 12:37 PM  |  reply

Annie I loved these words and I love that you are really living… be it laughter or tears. Thanks for taking us to the theatre with you. 🙂

6. posted on Jun 01, 2016 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

Annie, I have been following you for quite sometime and it wasn’t until my engagement ended in January that I have well, obsessively been tracking you! Your words are straight up truth. Your laughter is contagious. Thank you for sharing you heart, and being vulnerable, the days that you feel you just can’t do it .. Know that there are girls like me who search YouTube for your most current speaking engagements, who watch {if}Gathering while staying in their Grandparents house because her life just got flipped over and has no where else to go, and hears your laughter / one liners and it makes her realize that though she is in a very unexpected season, there is so much good out there.

So, Annie .. Keep on keeping on .. and thank you, really.