What I Learned in August.

on August 31, 2015 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 15 comments by

What I Learned In August 2015

At the end of each month, my good friend and favorite author Emily P. Freeman gives her reader friends a chance to write about all the things they learned that month. I figured this was a great month for me to play along because I’ve been so MIA in August, just holed up writing a book, and meanwhile there are some things I learned. (Also. Read to the end to see when I’m coming back to the internet and why. 🙂 )

Here are five things I learned in August (and one announcement):

1. Matthew Morrison is so beyond genius in Finding Neverland on Broadway.

This is why I cannot live in New York. My budget won’t support it. I would spend money to see a Broadway show every day. Or see Matthew Morrison every day.

I spent a week in New York this month to work on the book I’m writing and I got to see Finding Neverland with my friend Jonathan.

Y’all. Matthew Morrison, formerly known as Mr. Schuester from Glee, is so good. The whole cast is, but he REALLY is. (I tried to find a video for you, but none that are posted really do justice to his vocal and acting skills.)

And if you’ve seen the Finding Neverland movie, then you know how it ends, so you can understand why Jonathan and I were just an absolute puddle of tears (like. seriously. REALLY CRYING.) for the last 30 minutes of the show.

2. While eating or drinking a frosty treat, if you press your thumb to the roof of your mouth, it will get rid of brain freeze.

You’re welcome. It works. I’ve had a few coke icees this summer and so I got to test the theory myself. Success.

3. Mystery Show is the best new podcast and I love it.

You can start with the first one if you want to get an idea of what it’s all about, but #5 is my very favorite so far.

4.fashionABLE has a new bag. And a new wallet.

I just like to make sure you know these things.

fashionABLE crossbody bag fashionABLE wallet

RIGHT? Are you drooling or what? I know. If you need a new perfectly sized cross-body bag or an adorable wallet, and you want to partner with a company that is helping women across the globe, you can get 10% off if you use this link.

5. I’m a better Annie when I’m on the internet less.

As you probably know from earlier this month, I haven’t been on social media much at all this month. There have been a few updates, but mostly I’ve stayed away. In fact, I haven’t had twitter, Facebook, or instagram on my phone for weeks now.

And I feel like a different person. No kidding.

I may know less about what is going on in my friends’ lives, but I’m reading more and praying more and sleeping more and definitely writing more. Meanwhile, I’m comparing myself to others less, I’m obsessively scrolling less, I’m wasting less time, and I’m just all around a better version of me.

Don’t worry. I’m not quitting the world of social media. Because I love the friendships I have thanks to the internet. And I will bring it back to my life, but not yet. At least, not fully. The book I am writing is due on October 1, so until it is finished, my phone will remain social media free and I will remain a bit quieter than what you’ve grown to know.

BUT.

Starting tomorrow? I’m be back in action for the first week of September because….

I AM GOING TO ISRAEL.

WHAT. YES. SERIOUSLY. TOMORROW.

I’m getting to travel with The Israel Collective to see the Holy Land and hear from people involved in the peace making and I am about to jump out of my skin I am so excited.

If you want to keep up with the trip, make sure you are following me…

You can keep up with all the posts from the folks I’m traveling with by following the #israelcollective hashtag.

What’s something you’ve learned this month?

Tell me about it! Leave a comment below or leave a link to your blog post where you shared your list of things you learned!

1. Andrea
    posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:40 AM  |  reply

Annie, I gave up Facebook and Twitter and Instagram last August and it’s really been life changing. It’s so hard to explain so people grasp what your trying to say but it’s ONLY been for the good. I feel like Romans 12:2 says it perfectly “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.” and maybe a complete cut off but a scaling back is part of not conforming. But I have found without it I can desern the enemy and see God beauty and hear him so much more. Here’s my blog … andreabreece
    Thank you for inspiring my next post … Things I’ve learned this month … Soon to come!!!

2. Nancy McLendon
    posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:43 AM  |  reply

That Cabot cheese is lactose free. ?

3. posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:50 AM  |  reply

I love this round up so much, but am SO excited for you & your trip to Israel! Will be praying and following along, and can’t wait to hear about it. xoxo

4. Valerie
    posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 8:05 AM  |  reply

Matthew Morrison-yes and yes! Have a wonderful trip! August is unique in that I’m being stretched in new ways and it’s hard, really hard but I trust it is good. Glad you get to go to Israel, blessings.

5. posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 8:05 AM  |  reply

God has been doing a lot in me this month, but last week we lost two close family friends in a tragic car accident. They are incredible people, and I wrote about what I’m learning from their lives and their deaths here: https://katherinelfischer.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/blessed-are-those/

6. xiaoqian
    posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

now I’m off for a frosty treat so I can try #2 !

7. posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 9:56 AM  |  reply

Those are sweet lessons! This past month I learned how to trust in God’s protection over me. I’ve been paralyzed by fear my whole life, and He’s been stripping that away later by layer!

Enjoy your time in Israel! Such a great opportunity.

8. posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 1:37 PM  |  reply

I’m a nice person when my laptop is closed when my kids are around so I totally get #5. Here’s my Things I Learned post :: http://bit.ly/1EmEz3Q.

9. Anonymous
    posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 4:06 PM  |  reply

I’ve wondered if my iphone is making me dumb. It’s definitely led to more distractions and ADD-like symptoms the two years I’ve had a smart phone. But what can I do about it? Most of have jobs that pretty much require being connected and available at all times. It’s a weird, weird world, y’all.

10. posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 4:54 PM  |  reply

i learned that writing is a lot harder than it looks and that writing like you talk is a challenge when you’re having a conversation inside your own head and not out loud.

i learned that God answers prayers, like those you’ve been praying for a LONG time to have a meaningful conversation with someone you birthed. hallelujah!

i’ve also learned i can make gluten-free molasses cookies that taste as good as the real thing. ping me if you want the recipe.

11. Melissa
    posted on Aug 31, 2015 at 5:46 PM  |  reply

Yes to #5! My email app on my phone crashed a few weeks ago when I tried to paste too many photos into an email and it was a blessing in disguise. I can check my email in so many other ways it’s actually nice to not feel so compelled to check first thing when I wake up or one last time as I’m shutting down at night. Makes me think I might delete some other apps from my phone too. It just makes it easier to be self-controlled and that makes me a better me, too!

12. Andrea
    posted on Sep 01, 2015 at 10:38 AM  |  reply

Finally posted my things I’ve learned!!!
    Thanks for the inspiration.

13. posted on Sep 03, 2015 at 1:53 AM  |  reply

Can’t wait to read about your Israel journey!

I’m with you on the NY thing. Musicals are my lifeblood. I’ve yet to go to NY to see a show (I know, I’m deprived) but am scared the day that happens I’ll never want to leave.
    I NEED THAT BAG IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW. Gah. I hate being a broke college kid. 😛

I’m so glad you’re back, even if not full-steam. I miss your posts! I am, however, excited about a new Annie Downs book (as I re-read my nearly falling apart copy of Let’s All Be Brave for the 2nd time… I kinda need it right now). Can’t wait to hear more about it when you’re allowed to divulge details. 😀

Just wrote my WIL post, the first one I’ve done in a long time haha. https://jordanmtaylor.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/what-i-learned-in-august/

14. posted on Sep 07, 2015 at 5:42 AM  |  reply

I’ve been enjoying your views of Israel on instagram. Amazing.

I’m going to try the podcast now. Thanks!

15. Jen
    posted on Oct 19, 2015 at 1:37 PM  |  reply

Hey Annie 🙂
    Jen here from Jackson… You met up with us at Loco Taco a couple summers ago!

So I’m late on the what learned post, but remaining focused on what matters seems to be my theme this fall.

So. Much. Stuff. I’m just now stepping back into blogging and speaking to our Middle School Gals after a year with baby number 5 that kicked my butt at nearly 40!
    I’m back and here is a peek at what I’m learning.

Appreciate ya,