What I Am Reading.

on October 29, 2015 in I heart books. with 10 comments by

Annie F. Downs // What I'm Reading

Do y’all have the same problem as me? Do you start one book and then start another and then have one in your car and one by the bed and suddenly you realize you are in the smack middle of five books?

This is me.

I was talking with some friends yesterday about the books we are reading and it makes me so happy to talk about books. What my friends are reading, what I’m reading, what we should be reading. Pretty much, it’s one of my favorite conversations.

So here’s what I’m reading now and what I think. (Which, by the way, I’m just getting serious about my life over on GoodReads, so if you’re there, let’s totally connect!)

. . . . .

Garden City by John Mark Comer :: My friend Matthew told me about this one and wow I have loved it so far. I’m a little more than halfway through it, but I kinda like reading it in chunks of time, like last week when I went to Leiper’s Fork. I have a few flights next week- this is definitely the book I will make space for in my carry-on.

It’s Not What You Think by Jefferson Bethke :: Gosh this book is so smart. The cover is so cool, but the book is far more theological and deep thinking than the cover would lead you to believe. I’m so impressed with the ideas and study that Jeff put into this book. I just finished it and I totally recommend you read it.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North :: So another buddy of mine recommended this one. I’m about a third of the way through it and so far it is way interesting. When I am busy writing nonfiction, if I don’t have good fiction on my bedside table, I will Netflix my life away. So I’m always grateful when friends recommend fiction books that I may not have found on my own.

Coming Clean by Seth Haines :: Y’all. Here’s what. Seth’s book absolutely changed me. No joke. I want to send this book to about every pastor and Christian and worship leader that I am friends with. There is something really important, I think, about our Christian culture talking openly about addiction and the pain we try to avoid. Please read it.

Walking With God by John Eldredge :: So our Bible study has been reading this book since the spring and I’ve really liked it. My friend Heather told me that as soon as she finished the book, she started it again. So that’s what I’m doing too. The first read through really helped my prayer life grow in the last six months or so, so I’m excited that our group is starting it again.

. . . . .

Here are some books that are in line for me to read next:

For The Love by Jen Hatmaker

Out Of Sorts by Sarah Bessey

Wearing God by Lauren Winner

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

. . . . .

What are you reading these days? Any great suggestions that I need to add to my winter-in-Nashville-we-get-trapped-in-our-homes list? Because. January is around the corner. The ice cometh.

. . . . .

1. posted on Oct 29, 2015 at 5:48 AM  |  reply

Meh about Orphan Train. There are much better fiction books you could read — All the Light We Cannot See, The Orphans of Race Point, The Light Between Oceans, The Language of Flowers… just saying. 🙂 xo

2. Ashton L.
    posted on Oct 29, 2015 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

I LOVED Orphan Train! We read it last year (I think) for book club. I didn’t think I would like it with the back and forth of the time periods, but the story that’s told is so good. It gave me a new appreciation of historical fiction, too. And if you like historical fiction, you should check out The Nightingale.

3. Elizabeth Dille
    posted on Oct 29, 2015 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

Those look great! Have you read A.D. 33 yet? ! I heard about A.D. 30 from your podcast and I LOVED it! Currently reading A.D. 33 🙂

4. Whitney
    posted on Oct 29, 2015 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

Books is one of my favorite conversations too! (Tied maybe with the Enneagram!)

I just read the Red Tent for the first time – a reimagining of the story of Jacob’s daughter Dinah – and it was so good. I haven’t been that captured from the first page of a book for a while. I enjoyed Lizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay and The Royal We was total fun!

So many books to read, so little time.

5. posted on Oct 29, 2015 at 1:41 PM  |  reply

I’ve just finished Kayla Aimee’s “Anchored: Finding Hope in the Unexpected” and loved it. She’s funny and a great storyteller.

6. Shelley
    posted on Oct 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM  |  reply

Well…I’m a little sad, ‘cuz I’m almost finished w/ a book that has completely lifted me up, and is helping to catapult me towards a silly little “dream” I’ve had…”Let’s All Be Brave” is giving me all kinds of zaps to my happy! Well done, Annie!
    And, at the same time, I’m slowly picking away at “Rachel’s Tears” about the lovely Rachel Scott. She loved her Jesus w/ all of her sweet heart, all while being viscerally honest about struggles and doubts that she journaled frequently.
    I’m looking forward to starting a Bible study called “Extraordinary You” by Anna Frye. She’s all about wanting us to embrace that the Lord has a beautiful purpose for our lives, and that we are infinitely adored by Him. 🙂

7. posted on Oct 29, 2015 at 5:32 PM  |  reply

Excited about Jeff’s new book- and Out Of Sorts!!

Right now, I’m reading:

Big Magic by Liz Gilbert (incredible thus far)

Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers (when I need a fiction break)

All the Places to Go (How Will You Know?) by John Ortberg– really true to this life season I’m in. Hard for me to read because of that,but I’ve loved it so far.

It Was Me All Along: a Memoir by Andie Mitchell. This book. I’m scared to finish it because of how much her weight story parallels mine. I’ve loved it and hated it all at once.

Girl Meets Change and Out of Sorts are next on my list!!

8. posted on Oct 30, 2015 at 2:42 PM  |  reply

I do the same thing! Sometimes I have up to 9 books going at once!

9. posted on Nov 12, 2015 at 2:36 PM  |  reply

I am currently reading It’s Not What You Think and the book is literally “not what you think.” I agree that it has a lot of deep meaning and theology which I love! I’m about a third of the way through it so far. All of these other books sound really good as well! I’ve been wanting to read Orphan Train too. It is currently inching it’s way up my TBR list. Thanks for the small snippets and suggestions! 🙂

10. posted on Nov 27, 2015 at 7:17 PM  |  reply

Annie,
    Heather keeps telling me that “Walking With God is kickin her tail. I must find it and begin. Thanks for the reinforcement!