The Longing

on December 4, 2015 in (in)courage with 6 comments by

Subtitle: I HAD A VULNERABILITY HANGOVER LIKE WHOA YESTERDAY.

Let me explain what that means.

After I write a piece that makes me feel super vulnerable and exposed, the next day I feel like I have the flu. Call me crazy, or call me normal, but that’s what happens. I lay on the couch, I sleep late, I pretty much just want to watch Netflix and pretend I have NO FEELINGS WHATSOEVER.

So.

Vulnerability hangover. It owned me. But I hope it’s worth it.

The Longing

So here’s the thing I wrote for (in)courage.

THE LONGING.

I hope it matters to you, or I hope you share it with someone that you think will connect with it.

Happy Advent. Here’s to hoping we feel the longing all together.

. . . . .

Are you new around these parts? Well welcome!

Hi. I’m Annie.

I love my job and I think it’s awesome.

I get to write books and speak to groups around the country.

(In fact, you can download two free chapters of my most recently released book here!)

You can read more about me here.

. . . . .

I love connecting with new friends, so find me all over the internet:

. . . . .

1. Heather
    posted on Dec 05, 2015 at 7:59 AM  |  reply

Bless you Annie for being brave enough to be vulnerable! I miss your regular posts and can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to!

I’m having a quieter Advent season this year. My grandmother passed away in November and that consumed much of the month (we are happy for her; a little sad for us). On the one hand, it’s hard to be festive during a time of mourning; on the other hand it feels like Christmas has been and gone what with the many visits with relatives, much food, and extra church services 🙂

Congratulations on seeing the beauty in Advent this year and may we all remember that there is a time for everything (Ecclesiastes 3).

2. posted on Dec 05, 2015 at 5:37 PM  |  reply

woman, you are not alone. I understand the vulnerability hangover after putting something out into cyberspace.

What you wrote was honest. I have no doubt it was HARD to write because it’s hard to live. Somehow writing things makes them very real, like saying things out loud.

Thank you for opening the window to your heart. I can’t say for you if it was worth it, but I think I’m not stretching the reality of the situation by saying it was worth it for many, most you’ll never know. God wastes nothing.

Hugs from here.

3. Aimee
    posted on Dec 05, 2015 at 7:03 PM  |  reply

I am so thankful that you endure those vulnerability hangovers in order to encourage people like me. Thank you for reminding me that I am not alone, even when my friends are getting married and having babies and I’m still living with my parents (no boyfriend in sight). Thankful for you, Annie.

4. posted on Dec 05, 2015 at 9:55 PM  |  reply

Thank you, Annie. That’s it.. just thank you for real and vulnerable and truth.

5. Lea
    posted on Dec 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM  |  reply

Oh my goodness do I know the vulnerability hangover. Way better about it than I used to be with age and perspective, but thanks for helping the rest of us feel less crazy :).

6. posted on Dec 23, 2015 at 8:49 PM  |  reply

vulnerability hangover is totally a thing. The body-mind connection is no joke, friend. On the days my anxiety/mental health is raging, my body feels like it’s going to just collapse inwards. On the days I share myself more than normal I feel sick to my stomach and achy. It’s so weird.

So thankful for this post, and your words, as always. xoxo