I cannot think of a finer writing style than songwriting.
What a songwriter says in 35 lines it takes me 35 paragraphs and you are surely bored at the end of my rant and you’re teary by the end of the song.
I never appreciated lyrics much until I moved to Nashville. I watch as my songwriter friends slave over a sentence and rework a few lines and the final product could just take your breath away.
Talk about making your words matter!
So next time you LOVE a song, don’t just think about the performer. Think about the WRITER. That’s the person who deserves the first standing ovation when your heart is moved.
. . . . .
On Fridays, I like to do a little list – we call it TOP 5 FRIDAY.
So today I want to list my top 5 favorite lyrics … that come to mind right now. Because you and I both know that as soon as I hit publish I am going to think of eight more that I wish I could add.
1. Taylor Swift // Everything Has Changed
“All I know is we said, ‘Hello.’ So dust off your highest hopes.”
Seriously. UGH. That’s such a great use of words and the idea of your highest hopes. Beautiful word picture.
2. Joy Williams // Golden Thread
“Just wanna know while everything’s unraveling. I’m hanging on, just hanging by a golden thread.”
I love the sense of hope in a hard time in this line. You just know that a golden thread is worth holding on to.
3. Lady Antebellum // Goodbye Town
“I can’t erase the memories. And I can’t burn the whole place down.”
Genius. When you think of where a heartbreak happened, you know those are the two options. If I stay in this town, I will always remember where the memories occurred. Such a beautiful way to talk about a harsh reality.
4. Meredith Andrews // Pieces
“You are completely known. You are completely loved. This is where you belong.”
I literally can’t hear Meredith sing this line without tearing up. Truth will do that to a person. [But really. EVERY line in this song. EVERY ONE.]
5. Mumford & Sons // After The Storm
“With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.”
I want this to be me.
So those are my five! What’s your favorite lyric? Write a blog post about it or tweet it or share it below in the comments!
Everyone who comments below is entered to win an autographed copy of Speak Love, the Speak Love Revolution journal, and a brand new CD (that hasn’t even released yet!) from one of my very favorite singer/songwriters, Reeve Coobs.
. . . . .
A few other things:
Also, use the code 31WAYS at the AnnieBlogs store to receive free shipping all month long!
. . . . .
So remember to leave your comment below to be entered to win today’s prize pack!
here’s something hilarious…
and another something hilarious…
Also, if you need to spend a lot of time on the internet watching something that is actually intellectually stimulating and funny, check out the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. It’s a modern day adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and I am TOTALLY HOOKED. If you like P&P, get on board with this. [It is INCREDIBLE how they are handling this web show- each character also has their own twitter account and the scandal between Wickham and Lydia is so interesting and I’m telling y’all this is the direction in which entertainment is bound to go- crossing over mediums where the characters interact with the audience. Amazing.]
Here’s the first episode. Enjoy.
I’m on a major deadline that I can’t talk about yet [but I can next week so just be patient my little grasshoppers], so things might be quiet in the world of AnnieBlogs for a few days.
Pray for me and love me anyways? Amen.
1. Thank you for all your prayers on Saturday. It was a good day. It wasn’t perfect. It wasn’t my best showing. It was a good reminder that God’s strength is made perfect in my weakness. [It feels stupid to say that; I know it is true, but it feels like a cop-out way of saying “I failed.”] It just could have gone better- my part, that is.
To say it politely- I’m not perfect. And I got a four star reminder of that.
BUT. It was great to see my friends and it was a wonderful event. I was super glad to be there.[Big sigh. Moving on.]
2. I drove back to Nashville on Sunday night and for once, I decided that I would make myself listen to FULL albums, no skipping, no This American Life, just albums start to finish. And I made myself sing every song. [I love singing. So this was the easier of the two requirements.]
Here’s what I listened to:
I don’t know that this list matters to you at all. But here it is. It felt like a real accomplishment to listen to five straight albums. Very un-Annie. [I’m a shuffler. A major shuffler.]
3. My (in)courage friend, Heather, is raising money for her daughter. Some of our (in)courage sisters got together and donated a few items. The (in)courage email said “if you have a craft or a book you’d like to donate…” and I was looking to my right and to my left and then suddenly I was like, “Oh, you mean ME? Oh yeah! I have a book.” It my pleasure to donate a few books to help– so check out Heather’s Etsy site and buy some stuff, yo.
4. Speaking of books, my friend Seth Godin has a new book called Poke the Box releasing this week and the KINDLE VERSION OF POKE THE BOX COSTS ONLY ONE AMERICAN DOLLAR [until the end of TODAY]! $1.00. Seriously. So buy that puppy- it will change how you do business. I promise. [You may know the girl he talks about on page 1. I’m just saying. I died- in the good way.]
5. Also- this happened on the drive yesterday. Hair mustaches are all the rage in 2011.
[Do you love my serious face or what? I know. I’m a class act. Fully deserving of being in Seth Godin’s book. Or. Possibly. This picture may cause him to rewrite the first two pages of the book, because I’m a nut job.]
6. Speaking of people who shouldn’t associate with yahoos like me, my (in)courage friend Ann Voskamp hit the NYT Best Sellers list last week with her AH-MAZE-ING book One Thousand Gifts. You need to read this book.
7. I miss Scotland.
Instead of pictures.
Sorry ’bout it. I just have an absolutely insane week and to try to compose anything more than a list would cause my head to explode.
List. Here we go.
It is a big week in Nashville- CMA Awards and the like. Make sure you watch the awards tonight on TV! I could not be more proud to tell you that one of my dearest friends is the SESAC Songwriter of the Year. I squealed. A lot. Hillary is an absolute gift in my life. And I’ll tell you this- the amazing songwriter she is pales in comparison to the woman of God she is in her normal life. But they don’t give awards for that.
Mi amigo Dave Barnes released a Christmas album yesterday and it.is.deliciously.Christmasy. May I humbly, but highly, suggest you purchase one for yourself.
Dave and Hillary [see how I did that? combining #1 and #2? Skillz, y’all. Skillz.]… well, they sang a song together on Dave’s album and it’s the cutest thing going. And there is a super holiday-ey music video that is totally worth a watch. Not to mention that JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT stars in it.
That’s right. Kids Incorporated… looks like you made it, JLH.
Here’s a link to the video for “Christmas Tonight“.
Also. Please check out the Top 10 Albums right now.
Taylor Swift + Dave + REBA! + Mumford & Sons? That’s my kind of Top 10, iTunes. Well played.
It’s time. With a book coming out soon [Like, surprisingly soon. *faint*] and a need to find a place for students who read the book/hear me speak to congregate, it was time to make a Fan Page on Facebook.
Will you please like me?
Though the content and conversation will be geared towards my book’s audience [which is Christian girls 15-25 yrs old], you are ALL welcome on the facebook page. There will be some exclusive book stuff going on there, so that’ll be cool.
Also. And you are really going to enjoy this, I liked myself first.
And it showed up on all my friends’ newsfeeds.
“Annie Downs likes Annie Downs.”
Oops. That could have gone better. The good news? Unlike Annie Downs 1990-2002 who did NOT like herself one bit, I actually do like myself. So at least it was true. 🙂[By the way, y’all are awesome. I love having friends walk this author road thingy with me. It feels like we are one big happy. So thanks.]
Don’t forget to watch the CMAs tonight- go Lady Antebellum!!