Redwood you believe this?!?

on March 17, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 20 comments by

Here are some pictures from the Redwood Forest that we visited yesterday. I know I looked like your everyday tourist, being that my jaw dropped at the sight of this and didn’t fully recover until I was chewing the meat at dinner. But y’all. These trees are RIDICULOUS.

Someone said, “If I came to Georgia, what could you show me?”

Do you even WANT to know what my answer was? It will not make you proud to be a Georgian or a friend of mine. Consider yourself warned.

The only thing that came to mind was this. “Uh… Stone Mountain has a great laser show.”

STONE MOUNTAIN!?! Hi. I’m Annie. I’m a total redneck.

All that to say that I’m sure there are many other beautiful things in Georgia that should have come to mind first, but they didn’t. I’m sorry that I am your representative here. It’s shameful. To say the least.

But the laser show is pretty good. When those generals run across the stone face, tears and goosebumps. I don’t care who you are.

Here is a picture of Linda, Mel, and Sarah at the cross section of one of these huge redwoods. Mel is pointing at a sign that tells us the size of the tree when JESUS WAS BORN. What even. How is that possible?!? Awesome.

We just up and decided that we needed some additional nature in our lives, so we headed to this Redwood Forest.

And because there is a slight [real] chance that we are the funniest group of women here, we had some good jokes.

I love taking pictures of people taking pictures of themselves. It makes me laugh.

This is the moment when I thought it was cool to be a gnome. And it was. The other gnomes were so kind. They let me sit on their mushrooms, drink from their flower petal tea cups, and photograph their front door. But they refused to be in the picture with me. Punks.

And Linda? She may have a book deal (whoop whoop!), but she is not right. That’s probably why I like her so much.

And because we are all secretly twelve years old, we took this one. Does that look like a group of authors to you? Would you pay for their work?You will, friends. You will.

And for all you unbelievers, we actually SAW A HOBO. With our eyes. And our camera. So booyah on you. Well, not “you” exactly, but “you” meaning Linda. Because she is an unbeliever in hobos. Pray for her hobo-salvation.

[I probably went too far with that. But it’s funny. And a Canadian pastor that we’ve been sitting by says it’s fine. And I trust all things Canadian.]

1. Jake
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 3:47 PM  |  reply

eh?

2. becky
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 4:42 PM  |  reply

you’re hilarious. I felt the same way when I was in CA, it’s so pretty there, we have spanish moss!? and live oaks?! hmmm…I’ll keep thinking.
    looks like you’re having a ball. loved the gnome’s house, you’re clever. b

3. ManUtd17
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM  |  reply

Uh, The Big Chicken?!?!?!?!

4. ManUtd17
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM  |  reply

Saw that forest in ’92. Post-graduation road trip. We were in my friend’s Geo Storm. Took a photo showing that one of those redwoods was wider than the Storm was long. Amazing sights.

5. Amy
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 5:03 PM  |  reply

Oh wow, this made me miss Georgia. The Stone Mountain laser show really is, you know, an experience not to be missed. The Big Chicken? Even better. Sigh.

6. Shannon
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 7:26 PM  |  reply

Well, remind me not to visit Georgia anytime soon. But I agree with you, the Redwoods are amazing!

7. Kathleen
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM  |  reply

Jealous. Very very jealous.

8. Candace
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM  |  reply

I found pictures the other day of that cookout at the laser show. Remember how JG and Haynes hit me in the head with that football? Is that why you love the laser show so much?

9. Linda Vujnov
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM  |  reply

I believe. there I said it.

10. Melinda
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM  |  reply

You make a lovely gnome.

11. Greg
    posted on Mar 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM  |  reply

Stone Mountain? Really? You’re from Atlanta not Georgia. But I still think you’re cool

12. melissa
    posted on Mar 18, 2008 at 1:42 AM  |  reply

HA. I have a Charlotte friend who is also from Snellville… we were trying to explain the laser show to a group of girls Friday night and just couldn’t quite get them to grasp the majesty of it all. Needless to say, I’ve just forwarded her your blog, so you’ll have another reader.
    🙂

13. Jennifer
    posted on Mar 18, 2008 at 1:52 AM  |  reply

Hey!
    I just came over from Sarah’s blog, whom I have been blogging buddies with since we both started this past summer.
    And I live in Georgia too. It was weird –
    “she knows Sarah, AND she loves the laser show.” Worlds colliding. 🙂

We grew up going to the laser show every summer, usually more than once, and almost always around the 4th of July. Gotta love it when Gen. Lee rides away proudly, and everyone sings, “Dixie.” That Neil Diamond singing “America” is always a tear-jerker, too. 🙂

Nice to meet you!
    Jen

OH, and I read that comment over there…yes… that would most definitely be the BIG CHICKEN. My kids love that thing. 🙂

14. seantk
    posted on Mar 18, 2008 at 2:49 AM  |  reply

The gnome thing and the hobo deal is cracking me up. Somehow it’s just not complete without the “hobo” having a red kerchief hanging from the stick. And he’s got pretty slick kicks on.

Did you see him jump from a moving train car??

OK – I believe.

Looks like you’re having a blast; California is an amazing place.

15. Jennie B
    posted on Mar 18, 2008 at 3:44 AM  |  reply

You goofball! You should have told them about SIX FLAGS… duh! It’s okay – you were star-struck. We forgive you.

16. Becoming Me
    posted on Mar 18, 2008 at 4:08 AM  |  reply

I found your site from Sarah’s page. You are funny. I loved your photos and hearing about the conference.

17. Micah & Shireen
    posted on Mar 18, 2008 at 4:28 AM  |  reply

I think I agree with Candace…that cookout (and funny football moment) left a lasting impression with me and Micah as well. I might have said Stone Mountain too. However it does seem to pale in comparision to those magnificent redwoods. They sure take your breath away. Looks like you are enjoying yourself!

18. Boggsy
    posted on Mar 18, 2008 at 4:40 AM  |  reply

That’s awesome! I am jealous as well.

I have to admit that in my almost 15 years of being a Georgian I have never been to the laser show!!

19. Sarah Markley
    posted on Mar 18, 2008 at 4:46 AM  |  reply

Wow….you are so funny! Of course, that’s why I like you. If you weren’t, I’d have dropped you four days ago, chick-fil-a! =)

20. Jessica
    posted on Mar 21, 2008 at 7:48 PM  |  reply

I am the Charlotte friend melissa refers to above…

Stn Mtn: It’s a must see for all visitors to the region. Aquarium-schamerium. We’ll show you a carving of a horse so big you could stand inside it’s nostril. And we’ll throw some lasers up there (circa 1984 laser technology, mind you- apparently they haven’t advanced much since their invention). And we’ll play some Neil Diamond and Toby Keith. And this is the only way your visitors will really know what it’s like to grow up in a place I like to call Snellvegas.