BooMama is the boss of me.

on October 30, 2008 in That's delish. with 10 comments by

Souptacular08I do love soup.  And I do love a crock pot.  And I do love Sophie.  Put those together and what have you got?  A LOT OF LETTERS ON A BUTTON!

Here at AnnieBlogs, you’re getting 2 soups for the price of one- I put that PITCHER O SOUP recipe up here a few weeks ago.  But just for Sophie, and all of you lovelies, I’m bustin’ out an oldie but a goodie for this.

This is my godmother Earlene’s recipe for Hoppin’ John Soup. And when I opened the Word document to get the recipe it said “AKA ELTON JOHN SOUP“.  Pray tell, Annie of 2006, why did you type that?  Because that is HILARIOUS.

And so it shall be.

_________________

ELTON JOHN SOUP

1 medium onion, chopped
1 TBS. garlic, chopped
4-6 oz. Black Forest (or other deli) ham, chopped (about 1/3 pound)
2 TBS. flour
1 can Rotel tomatoes (original or mild) [I use mild because I am a wimp.] 2 cans black-eyed peas (Bush’s)
1 can chicken broth

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil.  Stir in flour when sautéed.  Coat onion and garlic with the flour.
Add Rotel tomatoes and about ½ can of chicken broth.
Add ham.  Stir and reduce heat.
Process one can of peas in blender or food processor until creamy.  Add to mixture.
Add remaining can of whole peas.
Stir and simmer about 20 minutes.  Add remaining chicken broth as needed for desired soup thickness.
Serve over a scoop of cooked rice.  Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions.  Serve with corn bread.

__________________

Y’all.  This stuff is so good.  It kinda breaks my heart because have I told you I can’t eat pork anymore?  [That sound you hear are the pigs of the world celebrating.]  But alas, pork is one of my migraine triggers.  So I have to make my favorite soup with… deep sigh… turkey.

1. posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 8:28 AM  |  reply

Hello grocery store.

Thanks to Annie, I am coming to see you. Right now. The end.

2. Susan
    posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 8:36 AM  |  reply

any guesses what I’m making for dinner tonight?! 🙂

3. posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 10:26 AM  |  reply

pigs give you headaches??

only in the south…

4. posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 11:43 AM  |  reply

*oink* thanks for the button, i added a recipe….it’s not pork either!! ;)!! hugs and prayers…

5. posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 1:51 PM  |  reply

This sounds delish! Can’t wait to try it.

6. posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM  |  reply

Okay soup sounds delish, but… you are a migraine sufferer and PORK is a trigger? I am a terrible migraine sufferer and am currently trying to get relief. Seriously, this has been going on for 1 1/2yrs of trying to get CONSISTENT relief. So, do tell!
    PS I read Kate’s blog @ Accidental Traveler and she mentions you sometimes. Although I have read your before…

7. Deb Simon
    posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM  |  reply

Hi Annie, that sounds so “yummo”..Jordan is yet to eat soup…the kids not livin’ but with a side of cornbread maybe! I had Liz over for dinner Tuesday…such a great time…she reminded me of phantom . . . .in Scotland…lol!

8. posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM  |  reply

This sounds delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

And your header is one of the BEST I’ve ever seen! It is just fabulous! As I think more and more about customizing my blog, I’m starting to look at all of the designs out there. As my Mama would say, yours is “beautimous!”

9. posted on Oct 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM  |  reply

I LOVE Elton John and I love this soup. It reminds me of the olden days of Sheera. Oh, Woodsford Road…Woodsford Drive? I don’t know. But I miss your swirley chair.

10. posted on Nov 02, 2008 at 9:57 PM  |  reply

[…] I want to try this soup recipe from another annie blogger I found  … ELTON JOHN […]