To be loved.

on December 10, 2008 in Nash-livin' with 18 comments by

**Before we get into the post, let me give a shout out to the Genius at the Apple Store who lovingly took my computer out of my line of vision and beat it into submission. And now her bumps are gone and she works like a charm. Albeit a two year old charm that needs a new battery, but a charm none the less. Thanks for your concerns. Apparently we all have strong emotions towards our computers. We are sick, sick puppies. Good thing we found each other.**

It’s late at night and I have a lot going through my mind. [Not the least of which is thoughts of a THROBBING CANKLE.  For the love- will this ever end?!?] It’s been raining in Nashville for twelve hours straight. There is something calming about a constant rain. And they say that we will wake up with snow? I’ll believe it when I see it, Channel 4 Weather Team.

I’ve spent a lot of time recently thinking about why I’m in Nashville.  Even though I totally love it, I still don’t know that I understand why I’m here instead of there or there or out there. I want, real bad, to be able to say

Dear World,

Here is why God moved me to Nashville.

Sincerely,

Annie

But I don’t think it is going to work like that. Like an onion and Shrek and other things with layers, I think it will be revealed in parts.

Maybe because of Mocha Club?  Totally- I have never loved a non-profit (or the people who work for a non-profit) like this before.  Barrett, the prez of MC, and I talked last week about some non-Mocha junk in my life and that man spoke big brother TRUTH to me. And in that moment, I was sure that Annie + Mocha Club = something that’s been up God’s sleeve for a while now.

Maybe because Nashville and I were just meant to be together all along? I love live music. I love creative people. I love the size of the city. I love having my heart stomped by a well written song. I love Baja Burrito. [If you are ever in town, let me know and we will eat there. And you will love it.] I love brave people who take risks to create art. I love serious conversations over a bottle of wine that result in a chapter written or a song recorded or a photograph edited differently.  And this place overflows with that- beautiful moments turned into art.

Maybe because God loves me? A few winters ago, God and I had a theme.  A serious theme of LOVE.  Me understanding His love.  Grasping His love.  Practically drowning in the sea of His love for me.  Not for the world, not for my friends, but for ME.  Annie the Impossibly Flawed being fully known and fully loved. And maybe that’s why I’m here, too.  Because I think this move has been the greatest exclamation of His love for me.

Why do I tell you all of this?  Because you were there when I visited Nashville for the first time, you were there in when I decided to move, and you were there when I cried the whole 3.5 hour drive from Atlanta with a van full of my things.

And now you are here with me. And I want you to know something- IT HAS ALL BEEN WORTH IT.

I tell you this because you never know when God is going to call you to something crazy. He probably will.  And when He does, say yes. PLEASE. Even if you don’t know why. There may be 1000 reasons that He calls you to move, stay, stand, sit, whatever. I don’t know your story, so I don’t know all the whys. But I can promise you that one of them is this- because you need to be loved. And God is always looking for ways to love.

Dear World,

God moved me to Nashville because He loves me.

Sincerely grateful,

Annie

1. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 7:07 AM  |  reply

I’m so glad it’s all working out for you. It’s always so fun to look back and see how God works things out.

When Jimmy and I moved to Waco, he was only guaranteed his job for 6 months and I was in the process of leaving my job.

Oh yeah…and we had two mortgages. And I was pregnant.

It was scary for a few months there – just the uncertainty of it all. You know, Annie.

But it has been beyond worth it and it’s been amazing to look back and see how God put all the pieces in place.

I imagine God appreciates that Annie – that you’ve looked back and thanked Him for what He’s done – instead of just looking for the next thing.

The way you’re headed, the next thing is sure to be great.

2. Bethanne
    posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 7:29 AM  |  reply

Amen

3. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 7:31 AM  |  reply

wow. good stuff. deep girl. and good.
    was it written over a bottle of wine? 🙂

4. Southern Gal
    posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 7:38 AM  |  reply

So, so happy that you’re so, so happy now! If I ever get out your way, I’ll definitely let you know so I can visit the Mocha Club and the Baja Burrito. Sounds wonderful.

Renee

5. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 8:08 AM  |  reply

wow

6. Kristi Kay
    posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 9:22 AM  |  reply

This was my devotion this morning…

over a bottle of wine.(jk – couldn’t resist myself!)

Thanks, Annie – love your heart.

7. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 9:40 AM  |  reply

Dear World,

God moved me to Nashville because Annie Parsons needed me.

Sincerely,
    Annie

8. Allison Costello
    posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 10:16 AM  |  reply

I shared your blog with a friend that is going through major “life reconstruction” right now…and I believe it is because God loves her too! Thanks for sharing this. You are touching more people than you know!

Allison- “the one you know”

9. Nate Turner
    posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 11:36 AM  |  reply

Annie, thanks for your thoughts and words. We are walking through some stuff like that right now, too. I needed this post this morning.

Nate

10. LeAnn
    posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM  |  reply

Annie,
    Jon over at stuffchristianslike.blogspot.com wrote a post on Dec. 3, “#449 Wondering if God is Enough”, that I thought of when I read your post. He writes that God shows him, “I’m just using this book to bring you closer to me”, I’ve found I can insert whatever circumstance where Jon has “book” and it brings me peace. It’s not about me.

11. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 12:42 PM  |  reply

so glad you are happy and content or at least headed there!! i can’t explain it, but i feel so close to you, like i have known you for years and i truly do wish you the best and how you find your niche right in the center of God’s will for your life!! take care, much love…

12. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 1:31 PM  |  reply

I love this. Thank you for being such an encouragement to me!

13. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 1:53 PM  |  reply

Annie, incredible. What a great reminder. I felt “hugged” as I read it. =)

14. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM  |  reply

This post really resonated with me. I think we all wonder “why?” sometimes and we have to trust that God has a reason.

Thank you for writing this!

15. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM  |  reply

like an onion and shrek, classic.

16. posted on Dec 10, 2008 at 6:51 PM  |  reply

Uh huh. Because he loves me.

17. posted on Dec 11, 2008 at 1:37 AM  |  reply

*maybe* the mocha club stuff made me tear up… we love you and are so thankful for you.

18. Barb-a-licious
    posted on Dec 12, 2008 at 12:45 AM  |  reply

Anya- this is SO great. I did get choked up when I read your sentence about it all being worth it. He is So good.