I’m in a fight.

on January 17, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 19 comments by

First of all, wow.  I got me some wise readers out there.  If you haven’t caught up on the comments from the last post, you should.  Cause your fellow bloggites are GOOD.

Now let me tell you about the fight I am in.

With my digestive system.

[And let me reassure you that I am not going to give any details that might give you your own digestive system issues.  It’s not one of those kinds of situations.]

It just seems, that for about the last ten days, my stomach and I are on two different teams.  Seriously.  Which is weird because usually?  Ye old stomach is far happier with my decisions than ye old hips.  Stomach and I have been buds, amigos, pals, comrades.

Until recently, when every food related decision seems to need to be a counter attack in some war I never agreed to fight.  I think it began during the reign of Nanny McAnnie and there is still no white flag of tummy surrender.  Here are the symptoms:

I wake up FAMISHED.  Like, “feed me now or I swear I will start eating your spine and you will be 2 inches shorted in a matter of minutes” kind of hungry. Sometimes I heed the warning and other times, well, to be honest, I just have other things I’d rather do with my time than eat, so I put it off.

So I’m now 4 feet 11 inches.

Kidding.

If I don’t eat, the hunger goes away for about an hour and then comes back so ferociously that I think there is an absolute chance my stomach may kill me from the inside.  So I feed it.

Whenever I eat, be it right when I wake up or upon the life threatening second warning, I have a good 7-8 minutes of complete normalcy.

Then the cramping begins.  And I was explaining it to Betsy last night like this- it feels like someone is taking my stomach and looping, pulling, and knotting it into a man’s tie.  Or crocheting a stomach scarf.  Something really severe and tightening.

As a matter of fact, yesterday at Frothy I finally had to lay my head on the table and grip my ailing tummy region just to attempt to not pass out from the immense pain.

[Oh. The. Drama.]

The saddest part of that story being that in my heart, I really love egg, cheese, and turkey ….

[Wait a minute.

Cheese.

If this is the onset of lactose intolerance, I swear to everything soy I will be so mad. Because if I have one constant companion in my life besides Jesus, it is dairy.]

So anyways, those ingredients on an everything bagel are usually bliss to my soul.  But not this week.

I spend half the day STARVING and half the day in deep amounts of belly pain.  So that makes me not want to eat.  So that makes the beast that apparently lives in me an angry little thing.  A vicious cycle of pain.  The cycle repeats at every meal, which since this fight began has only been 1-2 times a day cause I just don’t want to fight.

Hear that, stomach?  I don’t want to fight you. Sheesh.  So here it is, Saturday morning, and I can not bring myself to eat because I want to have a fun morning.  Yet I am so very hungry.

Let me distract myself with sending you a few places:

Probably everyone else you read has already sent you here, but please go read about Kelly and pray for her sweet baby.

Also, I’m kind of addicted to my friend Andy’s current series on his blog called “Why Guys Aren’t Asking You Out”.  Not that I relate to the issue [ahem], he just does a really great job of explaining how you can be praying for the single guys AND single girls in your life.

And if you don’t have any single girls in your life- hi.  My name is Annie.  I’m always up for additional prayers in this department.

Mel did an awesome job yesterday of video blogging about how to tie a scarf. I actually demonstrated some of her moves at a party last night.  Not dance moves, scarf moves.  [I demonstrated my dance moves too, don’t you worry about that.  Yay-uh!]

Also, a quick writing update- I only have about 5,000 words left!  Can y’all believe that?  Yeah, me neither.  Please pray for this next week as I complete the manuscript and proposal and stick those puppies in the mail.

Now I’m off to map out today’s battle plan for Annie v. Tummy 09.

Wish me luck.  Or mail me Tums.  Whatevs.

1. posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 10:26 AM  |  reply

I am sorry about the tummy issues… hopefully the problem will resolve quickly and it will not be dairy related (cheese….yummmm)

and this line
    “And if you don’t have any single girls in your life- hi. My name is Annie. I’m always up for additional prayers in this department.”

made me smile and laugh out loud because I am so there 🙂 Well except my name is Christy but other than that yeah….

Have a great weekend 🙂

2. Southern Gal
    posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

I so loved your last post but it was a busy, busy day and I didn’t have time to sit and put my thoughts in words. Just know I love you and your ability to put things out there in black and white.

I hope your tummy issues get better soon. (Seems everyone has lisp issthues with videos…Melanie, too.)

3. posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM  |  reply

I hate to tell you sister, but it might be your gallbladder. It’s not just your grandma’s ailment.

And you were much better off demonstrating my scarf moves as opposed to my dance moves. Trust me on this one.

4. posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 11:47 AM  |  reply

I hope you’re feeling better soon. I hate it when I want to eat but can’t! Bless your heart and tummy.

5. ginger
    posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 12:24 PM  |  reply

Doesn’t sound like lactose intolerance, but if it is you can become friends with lactase. It works. My advice (for what it’s worth): See a doctor.
    I would loved to have seen you demonstrate the scarf moves, but, seriously, I loved listening to Big Mama’s voice! So Southern. I miss that here in FL.
    And yeah for 5,000 words! I will pray that you won’t be distracted by ye olde stomach.

6. posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 12:43 PM  |  reply

Come and see me. I will put a heating pad on your tummy and sit you outside in the sun. Sun cures everythig that winter brings.

7. posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 2:24 PM  |  reply

Hey there Annie 🙂 – Ok, so I have a lot of explaining to do… let’s just say it’s a small world, and we’ve connected in so many ways it’s not funny, even though I’ve been lame and haven’t let you in on them yet 🙂 – maybe you’ve put some of the connections together yourself… maybe not…

first, though… let me say that I feel your stomach pain… I’ve been there & it is NO FUN (although, mine was because of Giardia and I doubt that’s what is causing your ailment… but I’m praying for your quick healing… food and me, were tight and I hate feeling like I can’t eat, its the worst!!)

ok – connections… SO – I am Ashley… I am living in Ghana… I go to the Mozley’s house every week for dinner on Monday nights… your sister lived with them and taught at AIS… I have been teaching at AIS for the last year and a half, so I just missed her… you left me a comment on my blog once… about MochaClub, and I wrote you an e-mail with my address and I got a lovely gift in the mail with a hand signed note from you (THANK YOU by the way 🙂 – I have a very close friend who is connected with MochaClub & is currently planning a benefit show in Dayton, Ohio for them… and Melinda has your blog linked to her’s, so I won’t lie, I’ve been reading it for a while now 🙂 AND one last thing… I randomly applied to Vanderbilt last week EEK!! I had applied to 2 schools in Ohio, but hadn’t really even thought of others… and God just kept bringing up Nashville in my heart and life, and then I found out that Vandy offeres Speical Education as a Masters program… woo! – ok… shew!! that was a lot of info for one comment… anyway… I was just feeling like a bit of a creeper & keep telling Claire that I need to tell you how small of a world it is 🙂 – AND – thank you for linking Andy’s post’s about dating… those were a good read!!

Blessings 🙂

8. Ali B
    posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 2:40 PM  |  reply

why don’t you look up the symptoms for “parasite” on webmd? you never know……

9. posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 3:53 PM  |  reply

The good news is that Big Mama has a video lisp, too!!! You’re not alone in this world!!

10. posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 6:41 PM  |  reply

Best lines

1. stomach scarf

2. 4′ 11″

3. The well placed (ahem)

I love that you demonstrated scarf moves at a party. Oh, you.

11. Julianne
    posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 10:13 PM  |  reply

“So I’m now 4 feet 11 inches.”
    hilarious!
    ha and i hope your stomach feels better!

12. posted on Jan 17, 2009 at 11:28 PM  |  reply

I totally agree with Mel that it is probably your gallbladder (or irritable bowel, or even POSSIBLY your ovaries). Get into the docta ASAP! For now, eat small, frequent (non-dairy) meals, and drink LOTS of water.

Call the MD first thing Monday morning….

P.S. I AM a nurse, ya know!

13. posted on Jan 18, 2009 at 12:53 AM  |  reply

**puts tums in the mail** i sawwy you not feel good!! praying for words and no more tummy aches!! loves ya!! <3

14. posted on Jan 18, 2009 at 4:03 AM  |  reply

annie, you don’t know this about me, but i am obsessed with commercials. most people change the channel when they come on. not me. i LOVE them. the commercial below is the solution to your stomach problems! get better! write well! see you soon!

Obey Me Now, Dumb Tum Tum!

15. posted on Jan 18, 2009 at 8:47 AM  |  reply

I’m way sorry to hear about the tummy troubles. If it’s any consolation, you confirmed that I want bagels for breakfast.

16. posted on Jan 18, 2009 at 9:28 AM  |  reply

I’m going to second or third the gallbladder (I saw a few other comments). If its your gallbladder, its not dairy, its fat, your body is having a hard time processing fat that you eat. Please, please have a doctor check it out. If its not that, it could be an ulcer or acid reflux.

17. Shannon
    posted on Jan 18, 2009 at 5:22 PM  |  reply

You just might have yourself some irritable bowel syndrome. Trust me, it’s not fun. But you might want to get that checked out if it doesn’t go away soon…

18. posted on Jan 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

Hi Annie,
    I’ve been lurking for several months but felt I needed to comment on this post about your stomach troubles. I went through the EXACT same thing several years ago.
    The cramps were so bad after I would eat that I had to quit eating. 🙁
    I discovered that I have celiac disease. Don’t freak out. It just means that you are allergic to wheat and gluten. And for a lot of people this doesn’t show up until they are in they’re 20s. Talk to a dr and maybe get an endoscopy.
    It’s becoming really common in the US and in Europe about 1 in 250 people have it. Often times I think it gets misdiagnosed at Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
    Once I quit eating wheat the cramps went away.
    I hope you feel better. And I really hope it’s not celiac. 🙂

19. Brooke
    posted on Jan 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM  |  reply

I agree with everyone above – definitely make a trip to the doctor. It could be anything from gallbladder to Celiac to other allergies. (BTW I’m a dietitian so just from a science-y perspective I think it needs some investigation by medical types)

Hope you’re feeling better soon! 🙂