It’s not so much true anymore.

on September 21, 2009 in AnnieWrites with 16 comments by

Last week, I sat and chatted with my dear friend Annie Parsons. While I ate sushi and she had a seaweed salad [ewww], we discussed some articles I had worked on that week.

I said, “I can’t really believe I even wrote the article; I mean, I don’t EEEH-VER blog about being single.” [Because extending a word dramatically reminds us all how true the statement is. Yeah right.]

To which Annie looked up from her pile of ocean bottom and said, “Actually, that’s not really true.”

And I wanted to argue, mainly because I think I’m always usually right.

In this particular situation, we were both right. It used to be true, but it isn’t anymore.

I used to hate. Hate. HATE. talking about being single.

But apparently I got over it a little bit with this four part series for Denise Hildreth.

Then again last week at (in)courage.

And now, this.

A raw, not funny, this-is-how-it-really-feels piece about being 29 and single.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

I don’t want to become that girl that gets labeled “the older single writer” or “the expert on being alone” or “that girl who writes about being single” or “that blogger with lots of cats.”

So don’t call me any of those things. Please and thank you.

But I’m learning to be okay with the label “that writer that is honest about her today.”

Because God doesn’t promise me tomorrow, I’m choosing to embrace my today.

1. Southern Gal
    posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:01 AM  |  reply

Truthful, inspiring article. I haven’t dealt with singleness since I married my high school sweetheart right out of high school. But I know longing and I know disappointment. It may be in other areas, but it’s hard to swallow at times. I love your optimism. Carpe Diem!

2. ali
    posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

You are a delight and a blessing.

3. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:13 AM  |  reply

Yeah, true, true. I like the ‘train into Annieville’ line- that one made me smile 🙂 I was thinking about the phrase, ‘patient in affliction’ last week. Not that being single is an affliction :), but something like that :), and I prayed God would help me understand that patience a little more. Thanks for writing honestly. I always love coming to your blog- Have a great day, Annie!

4. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM  |  reply

Thank you for sharing! This was an encouragement to me today.

5. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:30 AM  |  reply

I love your honesty, Annie. And really, no matter whether you’ve got a ring on your finger, trust in God is a struggle. (I just wrote about that today.)

6. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:00 AM  |  reply

Annie,
    I came across your blog from the link from YLCF. Thank you for all links you posted to what you have written about being single. I haven’t read them all yet but I will be.
    I just want to encourage you to keep writing about being single. I have looked for blogs of single women, who talk honestly about what it is like being single and it seems like such blogs are few and far between. Your writing is an encouragement. Thank you!
    ~ Melinda ~

7. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:26 AM  |  reply

Annie, that’s beautiful and so are you! Trusting God is hard sometimes but you are a fantastic example to me whenever I read your posts. At the moment I’m trying to trust him that he has a plan to get me employed/working/career-ised at some point in my life. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement!

8. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM  |  reply

Well said, Annie. I always love your honesty on topics that are sometimes not so easy to write about.

9. Kalen
    posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:47 AM  |  reply

Annie

I know you have heard the saying…be careful what you wish for! Just kidding, I love being married but it is a lot of ups and downs and if “the timing was off” as some would say which really means it wasn’t in God’s plan at the moment…it would be a world you wouldn’t wish for. I love you and some day you and “the” man will have an incredible life together.

10. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM  |  reply

I am a reluctantly single girl who hates writing about her singleness too, but I loved your article over on YLCF, it echoed so much of what’s in my heart. Thanks for reminding me to rejoice in today, even if sometimes that is the hardest thing to do.

11. Jeannie
    posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 12:20 PM  |  reply

I also read your post at YLCF (I’m a writer there) and just wanted to say thank you… keep your eyes on Jesus. That’s the only answer I’ve found. You’re a blessing!

12. Elizabeth H. (Russia)
    posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM  |  reply

That’s funny, I avoid that very topic on my blog as well! I am sure it would generate a lot of discussion, but I just don’t want it to become a focus.

But…it’s okay once in a while. 🙂 I sneak it in with book reviews and things like that.

13. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM  |  reply

You are such a pro in the ‘trusting God’ area, and I’m so glad you share things like this with all of us.

I look forward to one day reading all about the wonderful man God sends you!

14. posted on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:49 PM  |  reply

I try not to slip and blog about being single, divorced, dating, etc. but once in a while it slips and so far no one has yelled….so I guess I’m doing Ok. God has a plan 🙂

15. Rebekah Dickinson
    posted on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:57 AM  |  reply

Actually I thought your blog on YLCF was funny!! I agree it expressed the non-funny side of being single but it was humourous. I loved it by the way and I too am 29 and single!:)

16. posted on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:54 PM  |  reply

About a week ago, I was reading delightful “mommy blogs” and wondering if any godly single girls were blogging somewhere and sharing their lives just as well as the moms… Then I found your blog through incourage! You write the way I imagine you talk and I find your words encouraging. Thanks!